What's new

SR 3128 Silvertip Review

Ron,

I asked Steve at Kent Brushes about whether they made the Savile Row SR-208 brush.

His reply:

It looks like our T8 but we have not supplied Saville Row with shaving brushes .Our BK8 is a white ivory effect with a different shape socket.Hope this helps
regards
steve davis
kentbrushes

I asked him this because I had been looking at the BK 12 they have on ebay, and didn't want to get a larger version of my SR-208. I love my 208, but anything larger in the "same brush" would be too floppy for my tastes.

Randy

S

shavingrace

guenron said:
Good question Phil. The origins of each range of the Savile Row brushes are a mystery to me. I have gotten to the point though, where I am more amused by the guesses than the underlying question. I've seen some of the cognocenti insist that the Savile Row Tortoise Hogs are made by Kent (I know for a fact that this assertion is incorrect), the Silvertips by Shavemac, the older 200 series of supers, bests, and pures by Vulfix.. And it goes on!
It is enough for me to know that when I buy an SR I can be confident that I am getting the best value for my money from a vender that will stand behind the product.
BTW, I have it from a highly responsible source that there is an expansion of the 31xx and 33xx line to 32mm knot models. Now that's a brush!!:badger:

Ron:

My cousin, an old Marine officer, had a conversation with the same highly responsible source on Friday. 32mm is just so evil--and irresistible.

Thanks for the well expressed doubts; my own suspicions run along those same lines, though this Shavemac connection is entirely new to me. The unimpeachable source was apparently very cagey about where exactly the Silvertips are made, which somehow validates your comments above. There is something of the Brit-centric in all of us shaving fanatics, and this despite the fact that plenty of made-in-England products have roundly slipped on the quality marker. It's the old Dickensian shop filled with obscure potions fantasy, I'd wager....

Considering the quality and breadth of your own collection, how do you rate the very different brushes that make it? Do you consider Shavemac the equivalent of R.A. Rooney, Simpsons, Kent and Vulfix (with the understanding that SR at the top-most end is likely made by Shavemac)? Your opinion matters to me; you have just the right mix of tools to establish solid good taste credentials.

Regards,

Phil

shavingrace said:
Ron:

My cousin, an old Marine officer, had a conversation with the same highly responsible source on Friday. 32mm is just so evil--and irresistible.

Thanks for the well expressed doubts; my own suspicions run along those same lines, though this Shavemac connection is entirely new to me. The unimpeachable source was apparently very cagey about where exactly the Silvertips are made, which somehow validates your comments above. There is something of the Brit-centric in all of us shaving fanatics, and this despite the fact that plenty of made-in-England products have roundly slipped on the quality marker. It's the old Dickensian shop filled with obscure potions fantasy, I'd wager....

Considering the quality and breadth of your own collection, how do you rate the very different brushes that make it? Do you consider Shavemac the equivalent of R.A. Rooney, Simpsons, Kent and Vulfix (with the understanding that SR at the top-most end is likely made by Shavemac)? Your opinion matters to me; you have just the right mix of tools to establish solid good taste credentials.

Regards,

Phil
Phil,
First I must say flattery will get you far!:blushing:
I do not wish to begin talking about that which passes for Rooney. The firms creative brush grading is more of a (questionable?) business practices issue than a badger grading system. When I learned that they were marketing a "Silvertip" quality brush that had a(n) (apparent) plugged hair bundle, I decided that their bill of faire was not for my plate. Let us be honest, anyone can produce a silvertip for a king's ransom, it is the firm that produces a quality silvertip for a rational price that will continue to have my business.
Had a Simpsons (actually two) years ago. Was a very good best badger "Colonel," as I recall. Unfortunately I would be hard pressed to buy one today because of their (seeming) inability to maintain consistent standards. If I was in a shop with a selection of their brushes available for examination, perhaps then. In that way I would be performing the selection and grading on the hind end that seems to be escaping them now. Perhaps it is all of the drivel we hear from the potentates of poobah and those that continually question the essence of badger hair? i.e., "My Polo 14 super is stiffer than my Polo 12 super," etc, etc. While we know about the variations (or we should) in badger hair, one should rightfully expect certain minimums of quality to be enforced for HIGH $ brushes, especially when they originate from firms capitalizing on their reputations for quality.
Love my Kent. As I only own one now, either I was very lucky (could be?) or they produce a really good brush (most likely). It was certainly not cheap, nor inexpensive, but it was worth the price. Despite some of the aforementioned potentates of poobah crying that it is floppy, moppy, suited only to be driven by little old ladies on Sundays in their jalopy, the BK-12 I purchased has a full, densely packed knot with a very generous weight of high quality tapers with creamy tips that blend into resilient shafts, etc. (Hmmm, if it appears to be like silvertip, performs like silvertip, and originates from an old house that calls it silvertip, could it be silvertip?)
Vulfix, my beloved #41! It is interesting that this particular brush, though somewhat floppy and moppy, is a lather making machine. Somewhat overpriced ($130) for its modest 26mm knot of superbadger, it still is a longtime favorite of mine. I wonder what it would be like with a denser (more hair in the bundle) knot? I guess I will never know and it would change its character too. It is a very good sub $100 brush.
My Shavemac, the original SMF brush, is really splendid. Excellent quality hair, preiswert hair bundle with good density and resilience. Lovely handle too. Marketed by a house that is rightfully proud of their quality product. I do not know what is going on at Shavemac presently. I am always concerned when "new" products are anounced, but I would say that the example I have of Shavemac shares the same quality plateau (or is on a higher one) with many of the premium brushes we've discussed.
As to the Savile Row Silvertips, the only reason I am not launching into my diatribe on "It ain't necessarily a Shavemac," is that it shares the same qualities, i.e. Excellent quality hair, preiswert hair bundle with good density and resilience. Couple this with Charles absolutely above-board business practices, well, he and Bernd might be long-lost twins separated at birth!:001_rolle
Some time ago I typed a badger hair primer in one of these threads for a fellow who was wondering "What's it all about." I feel most comfortable when I recognize the grading, sizing, weight and manufacturing practices used in a particular brush. Of late, the interplay of the Chinese badger harvesters and hair traders with the sprightley business practices of some of the "old" houses, makes buying a badger brush far more exciting than it should be. I can say this much, when I buy a brush from QED or Shavemac, I have confidence in the product and its purveryor. I do not believe that I will run into any unpleasant surprises, merely delight with a well-made product that is what it is advertised to be, not a second rate product masked in marketing gibberish and old school horse hockey.

S

shavingrace

guenron said:
Phil,
First I must say flattery will get you far!:blushing:
I do not wish to begin talking about that which passes for Rooney. The firms creative brush grading is more of a (questionable?) business practices issue than a badger grading system. When I learned that they were marketing a "Silvertip" quality brush that had a(n) (apparent) plugged hair bundle, I decided that their bill of faire was not for my plate. Let us be honest, anyone can produce a silvertip for a king's ransom, it is the firm that produces a quality silvertip for a rational price that will continue to have my business.
Had a Simpsons (actually two) years ago. Was a very good best badger "Colonel," as I recall. Unfortunately I would be hard pressed to buy one today because of their (seeming) inability to maintain consistent standards. If I was in a shop with a selection of their brushes available for examination, perhaps then. In that way I would be performing the selection and grading on the hind end that seems to be escaping them now. Perhaps it is all of the drivel we hear from the potentates of poobah and those that continually question the essence of badger hair? i.e., "My Polo 14 super is stiffer than my Polo 12 super," etc, etc. While we know about the variations (or we should) in badger hair, one should rightfully expect certain minimums of quality to be enforced for HIGH $ brushes, especially when they originate from firms capitalizing on their reputations for quality.
Love my Kent. As I only own one now, either I was very lucky (could be?) or they produce a really good brush (most likely). It was certainly not cheap, nor inexpensive, but it was worth the price. Despite some of the aforementioned potentates of poobah crying that it is floppy, moppy, suited only to be driven by little old ladies on Sundays in their jalopy, the BK-12 I purchased has a full, densely packed knot with a very generous weight of high quality tapers with creamy tips that blend into resilient shafts, etc. (Hmmm, if it appears to be like silvertip, performs like silvertip, and originates from an old house that calls it silvertip, could it be silvertip?)
Vulfix, my beloved #41! It is interesting that this particular brush, though somewhat floppy and moppy, is a lather making machine. Somewhat overpriced ($130) for its modest 26mm knot of superbadger, it still is a longtime favorite of mine. I wonder what it would be like with a denser (more hair in the bundle) knot? I guess I will never know and it would change its character too. It is a very good sub $100 brush.
My Shavemac, the original SMF brush, is really splendid. Excellent quality hair, preiswert hair bundle with good density and resilience. Lovely handle too. Marketed by a house that is rightfully proud of their quality product. I do not know what is going on at Shavemac presently. I am always concerned when "new" products are anounced, but I would say that the example I have of Shavemac shares the same quality plateau (or is on a higher one) with many of the premium brushes we've discussed.
As to the Savile Row Silvertips, the only reason I am not launching into my diatribe on "It ain't necessarily a Shavemac," is that it shares the same qualities, i.e. Excellent quality hair, preiswert hair bundle with good density and resilience. Couple this with Charles absolutely above-board business practices, well, he and Bernd might be long-lost twins separated at birth!:001_rolle
Some time ago I typed a badger hair primer in one of these threads for a fellow who was wondering "What's it all about." I feel most comfortable when I recognize the grading, sizing, weight and manufacturing practices used in a particular brush. Of late, the interplay of the Chinese badger harvesters and hair traders with the sprightley business practices of some of the "old" houses, makes buying a badger brush far more exciting than it should be. I can say this much, when I buy a brush from QED or Shavemac, I have confidence in the product and its purveryor. I do not believe that I will run into any unpleasant surprises, merely delight with a well-made product that is what it is advertised to be, not a second rate product masked in marketing gibberish and old school horse hockey.

You've again hit the right notes with this one, and I appreciate your honesty. Actually, Ron, you deserve to be flattered, since you have guts enough to go 'round. My problem with Simpsons has to do mainly with reputation fueling prices that are no longer connected to reality. And I have also seen the shelf of pain, where no two brushes are of the same quality, despite coming from the same model line. Consistency makes great restaurants, and it applies to fabrication, as well. As you rightly point out, one should be able to count on consistently excellent standards of production from the best houses.

What you say about R.A. Rooney is outright worrying. The Style 1 Super Silvertip on its way to my door may have to go back to where it came...I'll judge the thing mid-week.

I agree that Charles is both forthright and passionate. I somehow trust fanatics, and Charles is nothing if not fanatically obsessed with quality and truth in advertising. One thing I know about the guy from reading old posts, is that he has, at one time or another, sold every British brand under the sun, and that supply and demand never quite matched; Charles could not get supplied reliably by some of shaving's grandest names, and as a professional, the experiences he suffered played on his psyche, which is to say that he is more likely than most to avoid entanglements with unreliable sorts. This is my rationale for the Shavemac connection--if one exists; and I'm beginning to accept it as fact--since Bernd is undeniably a professional, whose solid values, as you point out, are sympathetic to Charles. Good stuff, my friend.

I like Kent too, though Mr. Davis did not address the curious case of the rotating bristle bundle in my BK12 (the metal cup that holds the hair was literally spinning within the handle that holds it; I shaved and everything is once again solid--odd, to say the least!). My superb little BK4 has traveled with me far and wide, and the BK8 is a wonderfully soft and comfortable brush. Kent makes a unique product: their handles are most distinctive, in an old-fashioned way, and the bristle itself is really luxurious. Like you, I get terrific performance from the BK12, and I love the look of the brush, a ball of fluff that really gets the job done. I do want to know what happened when the aforementioned ball of fluff suddenly began spinning, however....

You have done a great deal to excite me about Charles's impressive new SR collection. I am going to acquire one of his beauties this week. After all, we can't have only Ron the Menace owning the best, can we now?

Regards,

Phil

guenron said:
BTW, I have it from a highly responsible source that there is an expansion of the 31xx and 33xx line to 32mm knot models. Now that's a brush!!:badger:

...or is it more appropriately referred to as a lather broom?:biggrin:

Kyle said:
...or is it more appropriately referred to as a lather broom?:biggrin:
It sweeps me off my feet! I sit here contemplating my taxes wondering if there will be enough left to get a 3132..:confused:

I just received my 3126 the other day and I really like the long handle on the 31xx series. The lather from my 26mm looks just as good as Ron's 28mm, so the size issue becomes personal preference IMO. I'm glad to see that it will soon be offered in more knot sizes giving many more the opportunity to have their favorite size brush with an awesome handle.

I can't say enough good things about the lather quality from this brush. It's super thick; I found I needed to add a bit more water to keep it from becomeing too thick. The long handle makes quick work of turning a small dab of cream into a volcano of lather. I think this brush might just double how long my creams will last, which in my book means it will pay for itself in short order.:thumbup1:

guenron said:
It sweeps me off my feet! I sit here contemplating my taxes wondering if there will be enough left to get a 3132..:confused:

It's been a long time ago i posted over here; i seem almost a lurker :blush: :blush: :blush:

Today i placed an order at Charles' place for three brushes:blushing: :blushing:
-3824, 212 and....of course....a 3132:w00t:

Shortly my collection will consist of 77 lather machines.....i'm really in a state it takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes in the morning to shave: 20 minutes for shaving, 2 hours to choose a brush:001_rolle

Regards to all of you en speciale groeten voor Ron, lathermeister.

Peter

Hi Peter!
Well gents, since so many of you are interested in smaller brushes, I decided to order the lilliputan member of the Savile 31 Series of Silvertip, the 3118.
COme on over to here for the scoop.

Ron... What can I say? I have a lot to learn. And buy. That was a tremendous review. Months in the making. WOW! You've made me reconsider my 25mm knot limit.

Nice LINEUP, by the way! (And, believe me: Lineups are not only done on "TV crime fighter shows"- We do them every day, and sometimes night, unfortunately, too!)

S

shavingrace

The SR 3128 is the best brush I have used in over thirty years of wet shaving.

Regards,

Phil

shavingrace said:
The SR 3128 is the best brush I have used in over thirty years of wet shaving.

Regards,

Phil
Careful Phil! Someone could accuse you of being objective.:001_smile

I'm having trouble deciding between the 208 and the 3128 -- what does one have over the other? I'm currently using a Tweezerman, and I'm unsure as to what size is right for me, so I'd just like to hear what you guys would do.

Reidar said:
I'm having trouble deciding between the 208 and the 3128 -- what does one have over the other? I'm currently using a Tweezerman, and I'm unsure as to what size is right for me, so I'd just like to hear what you guys would do.
Hello Reidar,
We are talking apples and oranges here when comparing the 208 versus the 3128. First, in terms of size, the 208 has a 25mm knot of lovely superbager. Soft and supple, the brush gives a luxurious soft address to the visage when lathering.
Here's one drying after a great shave:

full

The SR 3128 has a more densely packed 28mm knot of superior quality silvertip badger. Silvertip, while soft, provides greater resilience and that desireable scritchy factor.
Here's one drying after another great shave:

full

Note the second photo is zoomed out significantly. Use the stand as a reference for relative sizes.
So the 3128 has size of the knot and weight of the hair bundle, along with the fact that the hair is of a higher grade and quality, i.e. silvertip versus super badger. There is one very important additional difference too, price.. Approx $150 versus $59.
Hope that helps..:001_smile

Last edited by a moderator:
It did, thank you very much guenron. I do think I'm going to go ahead with my initial choice of the 208; this leaves me more to upgrade my razor with, too (I'm using an old Wilkinson that I don't like much). Sometime in the future I'll give a silvertip a try. Thank you again, I couldn't ask for a better visual overview.

An old thread but...

I just ordered one after the glowing 3124 review. Figured the same praise would apply but, you know, even more so with it being a bigger knot.

It's going to be a lather making monster isn't it?

Top Bottom