What's new

SR 3128 Silvertip Review

Greetings (patient) Gentlemen,
Though it has been a long time a comin', it is here now! My review of the Savile Row 3128, while overdue, (hopefully) accomplishes two things. The first is to communicate my utter joy with this purchase. The second is to provide you with some insight into the brush and try to offer some of the comparisons that might assist you if you are comtemplating a new brush.
Let us begin. After throwing temper tantrums every day waiting for the SR 3128's arrival I came home one evening and SWMBO greeted me with, "Here's another box from Rhode Island to feed your habit. Oh, and by the way the UPS driver complained again about too many deliveries to the house!"
Hmm.. With that portentous greeting I dove into my box opening frenzy. My efforts were rewarded with the following handsome example of the pinacle of the badger brush making art.

full

New SR3128​

So that you have a point of reference for its size, here it is siitting amongst some QED products.

full

New SR3128 Amongst the Products​

My first impressions upon holding the brush were that it was substantial and yet comfortable to hold. It is exceptionally pleasing to the eye and the touch. As it was 8:00PM and dinner was getting colder, the problem was could I wait for the morning to shave?
Discretion being the better part of valor and SWMBO's glare made that a no brainer. I decided on my plan of attack for the next AM. I was going to use this lovely brush with cold pour soaps, hot pour (triple milled, etc.), and creams. Here is a picture of the SOTD on Nov 29. Unfortunately I rinsed the brush, so no lather to see. What is interesting (and impressive) is the beautiful bloom on day 1, November 29..

full

SR3128 Nov 29 Wet Bloom​

For the next several days I used QED soaps in jars and sticks with absolutely fabulous results. The shear pleasure lathering with this wonderfully resilient badger was beyond compare. For you SOTD aficionados I shall go to the next message and string the QED soap shots for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The following pictures show the volume and quality of lather in the brush remaining after four passes.

full

SOTD Nov 30

full

SOTD Dec 01​

Now I moved on to some of the QED Shave Sticks. The lather in these brush pictures was generated from the lovely kissing scrub of this luxurious hair bundle on my cheeks and neck after I had rubbed them with the stick before pass one. Here's what is left on the brush after four passes!

full

Dec 02

full

Dec 03​

All I can say it WOW!!
Next I moved on to one of the three T's. Let's go to the next message.

For those of you that pamper your visage with creams from the three T's, here is a picture of the SR 3128 after four passes with Truefitt and Hill West Indian Limes Cream.

full

Dec 04​

For you doubting Thomases out there that are saying, "So what? Any bristle can whip up a cold pour or a cream." this next picture will dispell all doubt. After four passes with Truefitt and Hill Luxury (Hard) Soap.

full

Dec 05​

This next photo is not the "Money Shot," all wet and lathered, but an after the shave picture that shows the brush and how it has bloomed.

full

Dec 06​

Another Truefitt and Hill cream lather photo.

full

Dec 07​

And one more photo of the bloom.

full

Dec 08​

I can still feel the doubting.. Okay, for the most skeptical I am moving to the next message with the Geo. F. Trumper's (Hard) Shaving Soap in a Bowl.

Let us begin with that wonderful Trumper's Rose soap. Watch that SR 3128 whip in into a lather, and that's still after four passes.

full

Dec 09​

Let us check the bloom the next two days.

full

Dec 10

full

Dec 11​

One last Trumper's soap shot before moving on.

full

Dec 12​

Please note that the bloom is not continuing to expand beyond the limits that are desireable for nicely controlled application of your lather. We owe this to the shape of the bundle and quality of the hair which is really most excellent.

I am going to move to the next message to pick up a pair of photos with very different soaps than we have seen thus far.

The SR 3128 seems to just love lathering. Here you can see the performance photo after four passes with Crabtree and Evelyn Almond Oil Hard Soap.

full

Dec 13​

And here our latest "In Vogue" Nancy Boy Cream.

full

Dec 14​

Gents, I hope I have assuaged any concerns about lathering. It just doesn't get any better than this, no matter how much more you pay. This brush gets the highest scores for efficacy and pleasure of use. Let us now move on to some comparisons.

Here's a splendid brush that looks and acts like a real thoroughbred! Equally efficaceous, as we have seen, with all types of soaps and creams. So how does it stack up with other brushes? I kept some notes on my initial impressions.
On taking it out of the box:
What a lovely brush. How splendid the feel. The handle, graceful, and yet chunky in a manly way. Nice balance.​
On first use:
Had a splendid lathering with my new silvertip Savile Row 3128 brush.
Efficacy Scores:
Latherability with QED Violetta: Excellent+.
Water Retention with Pure Oklahoma Arsenated (not to be confused with Arsenio Hallenated) Water: Excellent.
Warmth Retention: Excellent as you would expect with a brush this well endowed (densely packed 28mm knot).
Tactile Pleasure Visage: Excellent and very stimulating.
Tactile Pleasure hand on hilt: Excellent.​
New Brush Issue Scores:
Eau de Blaireau (aka wet dog aroma): Seemingly non-existent. Good show, difficult to note even with my sensitive proboscis and I am not sure that I am not smelling something that was used to sterilize the bundle.
Bloom: Too early to tell.​
Overall New Brush Experience:
Really excited about this brush. Still have to walk carefully so as not to frighten the women. Or as they say on that TV advertisement for natural male enhancement, "Ron is feeling big and commands respect!"​

In the next message we can take a look at some of the brushes I have been using for comparison.

As they do in those TV crime fighter shows, let's hold a lineup.

full
From left to Right:
  1. Edwin Jagger for Crabtree and Evelyn Super Badger
  2. Vulfix Old Original #41 Super Badger
  3. Shavemac SMF Custom Silvertip
  4. Savile Row 3128 Silvertip
  5. Kent BK-12 Silvertip
Adding approximate retail prices:
  1. $85.
  2. $130.
  3. $110.
  4. $150.
  5. $220.
Being the bright lads you are I am sure you are wondering why I have them lined up in this order. The lineup is based on apparent knot size, from smallest to largest. Some manufacturers and/or retailers choose not to disclose the size of their knots.
  1. Undisclosed
  2. 30mm (By Retailer)
  3. 26mm (By Retailer/Manufacturer)
  4. 28mm (By Retailer)
  5. Undisclosed
It would seem that some retailers have difficulty in measuring their wares. That aside, while just fine brushes, I am going to drop the two smallest out of the consideration because it would appear that they both weigh in with approximately 22mm to 24mm knots and with neither having the quality of the hair in their three bretheren. Make no mistake, despite the claims of some, hair quality does make a difference. And don't make the mistake that hair quality is to be confused with the latest absurd grading of some of the new old manufacturers/retailers. Several weeks ago I put together a trio of brushes in the generally recognized hair grades. You too can learn the difference in performance based on quality by trying a package of brushes out.

This leaves us to ponder brushes 3, 4, and 5. Let us look at 3 and 4, and then 4 and 5.

full
From left to Right:
  • Shavemac SMF Custom Silvertip
  • Savile Row 3128 Silvertip
full

From left to Right:
  • Savile Row 3128 Silvertip
  • Kent BK-12 Silvertip

More to come in a comparison of the Brushes!

Ron:

Excellent, very comprehensive review. :thumbup: (Like we would have expected anything less of you!) I find the more I use my 2136, the more I enjoy it! They are great brushs at a moderate price. Anyone looking for a new brush would do well to purchase one of these beauties!

Jerry

Ron or Jerry,

Could you comment on this brushes propensity for the tips of the bristles to bend over? I notice on my soft-tipped brushes I get a lot of bristles this way. I think it is just cosmetic, but various brushes behave quite differently in this respect.

Scotto said:
Ron or Jerry,

Could you comment on this brushes propensity for the tips of the bristles to bend over? I notice on my soft-tipped brushes I get a lot of bristles this way. I think it is just cosmetic, but various brushes behave quite differently in this respect.

Scotto:

I don't notice the tips bending over on this brush. Attached is a picture of the bristles shot with a macro lens. Most bristles are relatively straight but you can see some that have a slight bend. My guess is with soft tips, there would be some bending here and there. It is certainly not noticeable with the naked eye.

Jerry

full

Up close and personal:

full

Ron- I've never seen anyone write so ecstatically about shave gear. You are truly a character. Your thorough pictorial was fun to skim through, and I look forward to the comparison of the SMF vs the Saville Row. As a new SMF brush may be on the horizon, I welcome any information to help me make an informed choice.

Excellent review Ron. Please compare this brush to the SMF brush and to a regular Shavemac Silvertip in terms of

1- softness of tips,
2- stiffness or resiliency of hair (ability not to splay out) and
3- packing density of hair.

If you see my post "Brush Advice Needed", you'll understand my need for this comparison

Thanks in advance,

S

shavingrace

Ron, you are a menace! Brilliant review. Now, my every waking moment is going to be consumed with the insane need for one of these brushes to add to a collection that already numbers four (three Kents and a Vulfix #41), with another on the way (R.A. Rooney medium-size Style 1 Super Silvertip). I must say that your beautifully round Savile Row outshines the rest, and they are all lovely brushes. By the way, what about this odd assertion that SRs are made by Shavemac in Germany? I have always taken it for granted that Progress Vulfix made this line on the Isle of Man, alongside their own...can you clear that up, Ron?

Regards,

Phil

shavingrace said:
Ron, you are a menace! Brilliant review. Now, my every waking moment is going to be consumed with the insane need for one of these brushes to add to a collection that already numbers four (three Kents and a Vulfix #41), with another on the way (R.A. Rooney medium-size Style 1 Super Silvertip). I must say that your beautifully round Savile Row outshines the rest, and they are all lovely brushes. By the way, what about this odd assertion that SRs are made by Shavemac in Germany? I have always taken it for granted that Progress Vulfix made this line on the Isle of Man, alongside their own...can you clear that up, Ron?

Regards,

Phil
Good question Phil. The origins of each range of the Savile Row brushes are a mystery to me. I have gotten to the point though, where I am more amused by the guesses than the underlying question. I've seen some of the cognocenti insist that the Savile Row Tortoise Hogs are made by Kent (I know for a fact that this assertion is incorrect), the Silvertips by Shavemac, the older 200 series of supers, bests, and pures by Vulfix.. And it goes on!
It is enough for me to know that when I buy an SR I can be confident that I am getting the best value for my money from a vender that will stand behind the product.
BTW, I have it from a highly responsible source that there is an expansion of the 31xx and 33xx line to 32mm knot models. Now that's a brush!!:badger:

Top Bottom