What's new

Square Bucket Ice Cream at Walmart

I think he lives in the Bay Area. That may explain why there is no WalMart within 50-100 miles.

My Aunt and Uncle live in Brooklyn and have one they can go to. So that is all I have to base my oppinion on, as far as big cities. But I can see your point. It's different there and not a lot of room for that sort of thing.

Here Milk at Sams and Walmart is $.50-$1.00 more than you can purchase it at Aldi, CVS, Walgreens, and even the local non chain grocery store.

The strawberry is my favorite. I was expecting something on the order of cheap ice milk and got nice creamy ice cream that surprised me.

I haven't had Ice Milk in years! Does anybody still make it? When my grandfather worked for Foremost-McKesson Dairy's, that's what we'd have for dessert every time we went over there.

I think he lives in the Bay Area. That may explain why there is no WalMart within 50-100 miles.

I looked it up, and there is now a WalMart in the slowly dying indoor shopping mall called Hilltop in Richmond. I think it took the place of a Penney's or Macy's type of department store that went under. It has thousands of empty parking stalls surrounding it that haven't been parked in since a Christmas season at least a decade ago. I go there to the Mens Warehouse or to the Sears for tools. I may even poke my head into the WalMart and see what the national fuss has been all about.

I'm disappointed that there was "how can an American not shop at WalMart" discussion but nobody ran with the Thrifty ice cream. That is a great low cost tradition that was a shopping high point when I was a kid.

I found this article that brought back warm memories of the cylinder shaped scoops of ice cream and really tasty flavors of the month. Apparently, the high quality of the ice cream was because there was a specific dairy that made Thrifty ice cream - and it is still in business. And, in some areas the Rite Aid chain still keeps the ice cream counter near the door, where mom could send you over to get a scoop while she waited in line, or if you were out riding bikes with friends you could be in sight of where you dumped your bikes outside to come in for a cone on a hot summer day.Good times.

In keeping with our current era, there's even a nostalgia page for it on Facebook now. There was a Wikipedia entry, but someone erased it as "blatant advertising."

Roger

I've been looking at that square ice cream for a few weeks now. It's tempting, but I know if I bought one I'd eat it in a weekend.

I spoke too soon, they just got the Ice cream:w00t: Was tempted to get some but my wife hates letting the kids eat junk and I can't as I'm trying to lose some pounds. That and we've had the same half gallon for about a month now. When that goes I'll be giving the square bucket a try.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I wanted to try this but could not find any square cones.

Seriously though . . . looking in my freezer I'd be looking for all of the tetris shapes and others before needing a square container to save space.

Not only does it stores nicely, Walmart can ship more for less, no wasted space on the pallet with a square container. They have done the same thing with milk at Sams Club. It generated a 9% increase in the amount of milk that a truck can carry or 384 gal. Giving walmart and extra profit of 10-20 cents per gallon.

I wonder how much of that savings the consumer will get?

I wonder if they could apply this idea to toilet paper....they could pack the stack and not flush possible profits down the drain. :lol::lol::lol:

I looked it up, and there is now a WalMart in the slowly dying indoor shopping mall called Hilltop in Richmond. I think it took the place of a Penney's or Macy's type of department store that went under. It has thousands of empty parking stalls surrounding it that haven't been parked in since a Christmas season at least a decade ago. I go there to the Mens Warehouse or to the Sears for tools. I may even poke my head into the WalMart and see what the national fuss has been all about.

I'm disappointed that there was "how can an American not shop at WalMart" discussion but nobody ran with the Thrifty ice cream. That is a great low cost tradition that was a shopping high point when I was a kid.

I found this article that brought back warm memories of the cylinder shaped scoops of ice cream and really tasty flavors of the month. Apparently, the high quality of the ice cream was because there was a specific dairy that made Thrifty ice cream - and it is still in business. And, in some areas the Rite Aid chain still keeps the ice cream counter near the door, where mom could send you over to get a scoop while she waited in line, or if you were out riding bikes with friends you could be in sight of where you dumped your bikes outside to come in for a cone on a hot summer day.Good times.

In keeping with our current era, there's even a nostalgia page for it on Facebook now. There was a Wikipedia entry, but someone erased it as "blatant advertising."

Roger

We have several Wal-marts down here in the South Bay, now that Thrifty Ice cream was a highlight of my youth and I'm lucky to have a Walgreens that took over an old Thrifty store and kept the Ice Cream Bar per customer requests, I walked to it on hot day's with my daughter to get a double scoop :biggrin:

I've been looking at that square ice cream for a few weeks now. It's tempting, but I know if I bought one I'd eat it in a weekend.

I fail to see any problems. :laugh:

I've now seen it in stores, but we don't keep ice cream in the house any more.

My wife is trying to lose the last few of her pregnancy pounds and scolds me for bringing "junk food" home...plus our son has a milk allergy, so I don't think it would be fair to have it around when he can't have it. We have found non-dairy stuff for him though...for special occasions.

We buy Blue Bell made here in TX 90% of the time. Now for larger social functions and such I buy the Big Round Tub of Ice Cream at WW.

Top Bottom