What's new

Spyderco Sharpmaker

I just picked up the Spyderco Sharpmaker because I am a complete knife sharpening novice beyond using a steel on my kitchen knives.
I made the purchase knowing fully that it may be a 90 % solution 90% of the time relative to other, particularly motorized systems.

My initial impressions are quite positive. I do concur that is does its best work at touching up/ maintaining and a knife that was 1/2 way sharp in the first place. I have be practicing on a cheapy Kershaw (Model 1445 with 8CR13MOV steel). It has gone from dull to barely cut typing paper sharp with a lot of work at both the 40 and 30 Degree settings.

I have made a Spyderco VG10 Endura Wave, a Spyderco CPMS30V Native, a Spyderco BD1 Cat-10, a 1st Run Chinese 12C27 Clinch Pick and a Maurice Lacroix Victornox (2 inch cutting blade/ 1 inch watch back removal "blade") to a hair of the forearm shaving sharp level. I have also "stropped"with the jeans I was wearing after cutting some paper and it seemed to put a finishing touch right on the blade.

I will chalk up the barely cutting paper sharp Kershaw to the learning curve and drive on as it was found on a campout and never claimed by any of our Scouts such that I have 0 in the knife in the first instance.

I feel confident enough to re sharpen all of the knives above with the Sharpmaker and similar blade designs in the future.

I have custom Benchmade partially serrated S30V Mini Barrage that was a gift such that I might default to sending that one in to Benchmade when the time comes to sharpen it given the serrations and black colored/engraved blade.

The Sharpmaker may have been my best piece of retail therapy since 1 Jan 2020.

FWIW

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Doj, how long did it take to break-in the stones to where they remove metal well?

I have hit-and-miss results with my Sharpmaker, sure I'm in the minority.

AA

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Great job!! It does work. I have one. I have stones for free hand sharpening. And I also use the Lansky 4 rod ceramic system.
Knife sharpening is very therapeutic.

AA
Seemingly, right off the bat. I did given them maybe 30 secs of rubbing them against each other as per the video with Sal G, the founder of Spyderco modeled. I suspect for the system to be a 95% one, 95% of the time, one would need to get a set of coarser rods which are about 60 shipped. I am sure there are cheaper ways to get there.

As I do not really own any dull knives nor do I intend to buy any, I suspect that the tool as it stands can give me a sharp enough edge for any task at hand.

Legion

Staff member
Do a sharpie test on the knife you are having trouble with and check it with a loupe. I find when I get a knife that gives me trouble on the Sharpmaker it is usually because the bevel angle on the knife is too steep and the stones are not contacting the edge properly.

i have tumbled to the sharpie test. My loupe is at work and not east to get to for the time being.

I love the Spyderco. I have had mine for about 10 years and have added the diamond and ultra fine stones. I have found that the diamond stones do an incredible job with just a few strokes.

You'll be sharpening for days with those gray medium grit stones, if you need to re-profile a bevel. Get yourself a pair of diamond, or CBN (cubic boron nitride) stones.

I keep my Japanese water stones for my convex Japanese kitchen carbon steel knives but for all my other kitchen and EDC knives, it's the Sharpmaker that's out on the counter and in use, everyday. Get a set of the Spyderco diamond rods and you'll be in business for almost anything.

I really like mine for touch ups.. After opening a months worth of packages, mail etc.. I can get pretty darn sharp.. If I need to do work from camping fishing trip etc.. Back to my diamond stones..

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
No strop other than my jeans, cardboard on the back of a legal pad etc.
Stropping on a piece of leather with a little CHROX or similar paste or spray will give you a generous bump in sharpness. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy.

8 years using the Sharpmaker. Have all 4 sets of stones. Wonderful, easy system. Just don't pull the tips off the stones as it can round the tip out.

Top Bottom