What's new

Spyderco Fine and Ultrafine Set + ...?

Hello,

I am a proud owner of two DOVO shave ready razors. Beeing aware of the fact that my razors will need some maintenance for some time after some research I decided to get Spyderco Fine and Ultrafine set (for various reasons, mainly cause of the durability and low maintenance and low cost).

http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercobenchstonefinegrit2x8.aspx
http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercobenchstoneultrafine2x8.aspx

Now I'm thinking about getting the medium but I'm not sure will I need it sooner or later ?

Or should I stick to those two ?

As a side note, I'm not planning to buy a vintage razors - I'll stick to new (though not always shave ready).

Thanks in advance for any help!

I do not know anything about Syperco hones. I will say that you should send them out to be professionaly honed. You will end up putting way to wear on the blade or worse if you have never honed. Def do not want to do that with a new blade.

Both of my razors are shave ready honed by Lynn Thompson and they don't need to be honed atm. I shave them 2nd month now :)

But on the future I want to learn how to hone by myself that's why I'm asking about the medium Spyderco stone.

Spyderco's were my first hones and I loved them. The UF is a very underused finisher and provides a remarkable edge. My only gripe was that the stone is super hard and the edges are sharp so chamfering them round is very difficult.

DO NOT LAP THEM! Some folks have and regretted it when they were into into it a few hours later still. The tolerance from the factory is fine and they don't need it. Another negative is that they are heavy and I hold my hones on my hand.

Thats awesome, I have two Dovos myself. You say they were honed by Lynn Thompson... "Cold Steel" Lynn Thompson?

Reading on some of the other forums, it appears that the Spyderco hones will work, they are just not the most popular hone for razors. If you go that route, I would be interested in how the work for you.

Mike

Lynn Abrams (razor guy) or Lynn Thompson (knife guy)?

Top Bottom