What's new

Sputnik

Bought these to try in my Dark Stag folding Kamisori. First shave was with about three days growth (coarse and tough). I have to say I was quite exited to try these and I was not disappointed. Sharp, smooth enough to feel. Great three pass shave with a bbs finish. Little irritation if any at all and only one nick (totally my fault for not paying attention!). I ended up using them every shave all week as I liked them that much. Instantly ended up in my top five rotation for a while. Similar to a good Voskhod or Rapira Sweedish Super Steel maybe. Worth a try.

A few years ago these were available for a pretty decent price point versus other blades made in the Gillette plant in St. Petersburg on the RBC website. I grabbed 30 for like $5 and had some really nice shaves with some of them. Like many Gillette blades, I get exceptional lifespans from them ( usually 9-10 shaves at a minimum **) and I really felt they were smoother than some of their other Gillette branded cousins and sharp enough to be really efficient without too much face feel. Since then the price shot up and I haven't hunted for more since I still have some of that initial order left. I should load one up soon and give it a whirl.

** YMMV

I had a couple of Sputniks that I ordered from RBC and I liked them very much and wanted to order 100 of them until I saw that they became one of the most expensive blade from PPI. So I ordered Astra SPs instead.

Shave #40 on mine today, and time to change to the second side. Shave was OK, but I had too much stubble long my chin line by lunch time, which is my barometer for when the blade is done.

That means it will run 80 shaves, not bad at all (better than average). I have 20 more, that's plenty at the rate I use blades, I'm not going to live much past 100 I don't think.

They are out of production now, so if you like them then grab some before prices go through the roof! (Still plenty of them available in ebay via Russia/Eastern Europe)
I thought they might be discontinued as I haven’t seen them in a while.

I have about 60 left of a 100 pack I bought a year or two ago so I just ordered 200. More than I normally spend for blades, but they are good ones to have in the den. 👍

Shave #40 on mine today, and time to change to the second side. Shave was OK, but I had too much stubble long my chin line by lunch time, which is my barometer for when the blade is done.

That means it will run 80 shaves, not bad at all (better than average). I have 20 more, that's plenty at the rate I use blades, I'm not going to live much past 100 I don't think.
Holy crap! 40 shaves out on one side of one blade?! If I can get 4 out of a blade in total I'm doing well!

I can agree the Sputnik is somewhat similar to the Voskhod and the Rapira Swedish SuperSteel. None of them are my favourites though, since in most razors they can't give me BBS. I have to use them in the R41 to achieve that.

They are on sale on UK Ebay for a reasonable price now, if it's of any interest to anyone.
Yeah. 12 quid for 100, and 10 for shipping to my country. This is getting ridiculous. I bought 100 Big Bens from Connaught for GBP 6.10 and that's including the shipping. But as I said in other threads from the 1st of July it's "Goodbye UK shopping" for all of us living in the EU.

Yeah. 12 quid for 100, and 10 for shipping to my country. This is getting ridiculous. I bought 100 Big Bens from Connaught for GBP 6.10 and that's including the shipping. But as I said in other threads from the 1st of July it's "Goodbye UK shopping" for all of us living in the EU.

That's a good price for the Big Ben blades, and the total price of having the blades shipped within the UK is actually more.

Brexit has thrown a spanner for buyers for sure. A few Europeans retailers I used to buy from eg Goodfellas Smile, Dambiro have stopped shipping to the UK.

I'm not sure what the tax regulations will be in Bulgaria after July 1st, but what happened in the UK for purchases outside the UK bought from eBay, is eBay adds on 20% when you check out sales; without any additional processing costs via the delivery services (under £135), but I've read that in some places in Europe they'll be charged a processing fee whatever the cost of the item is, so for buying some blades at of $10 from AliExpress, they'll get hit a 10 Euro processing charge.

They are out of production now, so if you like them then grab some before prices go through the roof! (Still plenty of them available in ebay via Russia/Eastern Europe)

Good advice!! Russian blades are some of the best on the planet IME!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Top Bottom