What's new

Splash followed by balm?

Lately I have been using an aftershave splash after shaving, and then following it up with an aftershave balm for some added moisture.

Is on of these unnecessary? Should I be skippnig the splash?

I like the cool, slightly burning and tight feelign I get from a splash, but is it drying my skin out too much?

Thanks,

A lot of guys do it. It's really a personal thing. I usually use splashes in the summer and balms in the winter. During transitional months I may use either or both. Remember, if it works for you then that's what matters most.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Funny you should mention this...I JUST splashed a bit of Aqua Velva Ice Blue on my face followed by a smidgen of Nivea Cooling Balm. I do this at least 3 times a week when I am not using Old Spice or a Floris Aftershave. I think it is very good IMO.

This morning I used Proraso splash. I then followed it with a little bit of Proraso balm. Very nice way to end the shave. Bottom line is if you like using both -- use both.

You might also want to check out the 444 balm. You can mix a small amount of it (I think it is primarily glycerine and menthol) with a splash to make it a more moisturizing.

Odd, I do just the opposite. Balm first then splash. The balm seems to be more soothing when applied first. I'll apply the balm and leave it alone for a little while, then splash. Of course I am really hacked up, it's WH - Balm - Splash.

Three possibilities for me:

1. Witch hazel
2. Witch hazel, then splash
3. Witch hazel, then balm, then splash (for rough shaves)

I've not been using my DE long enough to know what I'll do in the winter . . . we'll see.

Lately I have been using an aftershave splash after shaving, and then following it up with an aftershave balm for some added moisture.

Is on of these unnecessary? Should I be skippnig the splash?

I like the cool, slightly burning and tight feelign I get from a splash, but is it drying my skin out too much?

Thanks,

Some days I splash.

Some days I balm.

Some days I do both.

Normally I follow my splash with a quick cold water rinse after a few minutes. Calms down the scent, but doesn't wash it off. Then I decide whether or not to apply a litte balm..

Some days, I'm just not in the mood for a splash.

-Mason

Odd, I do just the opposite. Balm first then splash. The balm seems to be more soothing when applied first. I'll apply the balm and leave it alone for a little while, then splash. Of course I am really hacked up, it's WH - Balm - Splash.

this is my routine as well - balm followed by As - Floid, AV, Pinaud Bay Rum, or Old Spice...

I usually substitute the balm for a couple of drops of shaving oil while my face is still wet, massage it in, then follow with Aqua Velva. I have tried Splash first, and then balm but the method I am using now seems to make my face feel much more firm than the previous method. I didn't think I'd be the only one mixing and matching. The only problem is the scents may conflict, so I try to stick to the oil if the splash will have a strong scent.

i splash before i balm, the alcohol in the splash cleans the cuts and nicks and then i balm to replace moisture. i also wash my face with glycerin soap as part of my pre shave so i moisturize my entire face with the balm. i use the eBs brand balm and its quite nice if i do say so.

That's odd... I rub the alum block on my face, then I let it sting for a while and start cleaning up my shaving stuff. Then I rinse my face and apply the splash, then I continue to clean up the shaving stuff. After that, I apply the balm.
Tonight I'll apply the balm first and then the splash. Nothing like trying these things to know what works best, right?

I usually just apply an aftershave splash like Old Spice, wait 5 minutes, apply moisturiser to all my face and neck then add a little more splash.
For really rough shaves Id apply my Nivea for Men Balm or Prosraso cream.

I would think balm before the splash essentially blocks the splash from doing its' job i.e.-antiseptic, tightening up the skin, all that good stuff.

It may still be working essentially as a cologne, but loses its' efficacy.

Earth Science makes a nice after shave splash available at Whole Foods, pretty decent price too!

Top Bottom