What's new

Speick Scents - What Gives?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I first tried Speick aftershave many moons ago. I didn’t particularly care for the scent.

When Speick Active came out, I bought the cream, and loved the scent. I then sprang for the aftershave, and think it smells terrible.

Now I have some Speick original cream along with Speick shave stick, tallow formula. Wouldn’t you know it, I absolutely love the scents. The stick, in particular, is one of the best things I have ever smelled. Making a superlather with the Speick original Stick and Cream is simply marvelous.

So, what gives with Speick scents? Why are they so inconsistent? Given that I love the scents of certain lines of original scented products, would the EdC or EdT be something I would like?

For me, I think they all smell good. Note, I have not tried the active products. The one I don't love is the tallow shave stick that has a bit of "old man lavender" to the scent. It's fine, though.

The scents are different across the products. My favorite is the cream, then the balm. To me, the EdC smells a lot like the aftershave lotion...and doesn't last much longer so be warned.

My nose isn't the best, so consider that while considering these thoughts. I think Speick is my overall favorite shave brand. The sea buckthorn soaps smell amazing too.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For me, I think they all smell good. Note, I have not tried the active products. The one I don't love is the tallow shave stick that has a bit of "old man lavender" to the scent. It's fine, though.

The scents are different across the products. My favorite is the cream, then the balm. To me, the EdC smells a lot like the aftershave lotion...and doesn't last much longer so be warned.

My nose isn't the best, so consider that while considering these thoughts. I think Speick is my overall favorite shave brand. The sea buckthorn soaps smell amazing too.
Thanks so much!

I love Speick. I have the stick, the splash, the deodorant, and the EdT. While each is slightly different, they all have the characteristic crisp fougère scent that is Valeriana celtica. I suspect the difference is part of Speick's philosophy; they won't compromise on ingredients in order to ensure uniformity, rather acknowledge that the base ingredients for each product will necessitate the different expression of the overall scent profile. Having said that, each is still recognisably speick to my nose.

Unlike @Noodles, I find the EdT to be a powerhouse. One solid spray is enough to last the day, especially in warmer weather.

Standard disclaimer: I am a resolute Knight of Speick! :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thursday, January 19th 2023

Razor : Yaqi "Tile" with a Yaqi handle- Mfg 2021>, great tame mild to tame mid range, similar to the Henson razors, made from 316 SS and has a built in angle for mostly carefree shaving. Machining and finish QC adequate for my shaving needs. I use a Kai SS Extra wide in this razor for a little more blade feel.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide(2) sharp & smooth with excellent longevity, the blade is wider by 9/1000 of a inch giving a slight boost in blade feel in those razors that need a little boost for your preference for blade feel.
Soap : Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities:001_wub:.
Brush : Yaqi "artic sky" 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Nice ergonomic handle + great knot.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Tile razor with a Kai SS extra wide blade.
SOTD Jan 19 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

Speick Active is supposed to be a "younger guy" product line, compared with Speick Men which is more traditional, I think.

Speick products in the same line don't necessarily smell exactly the same, but they are supposed to be complementary. I'm a fan of the Speick Men soap, shave stick, shave cream and aftershave.

Unlike @Noodles, I find the EdT to be a powerhouse. One solid spray is enough to last the day, especially in warmer weather.

I'm certain it is. I have the EdC though, which has different ingredients, and it's pretty light. Back to the original question, Speick has a number of different scents, albeit somewhat similar.

The scents are designed to be complimentary as opposed to identical to the soap/cream. I'm with you in that I prefer the scent of the soap or cream significantly more than the splash which is just a mens deoderant type scent to me. If you dislike the splash, you won't like the EdT imo.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The scents are designed to be complimentary as opposed to identical to the soap/cream. I'm with you in that I prefer the scent of the soap or cream significantly more than the splash which is just a mens deoderant type scent to me. If you dislike the splash, you won't like the EdT imo.

Love the soap and aftershave.

For some reason, I find the EdT to be a bit sickly sweet.
Thank you! I won't waste my time!

I love the soap and after shave balm and recently tried the EDT. From the EDT I get an immediate strong lemon/lime scent and the characteristic speick scent is way in the background. This disappoints me as it results in a fragrance that is very much like lots of other Men's fragrances. I can see where it would have more mass appeal but the distinctive Speick fragrance is buried. I don't find it sickeningly sweet but its just OK.

From the EDT I get an immediate strong lemon/lime scent and the characteristic speick scent is way in the background.

I have the EdT and wear it regularly in the warmer months. The opening is very citrusy, but the drydown has that unmistakeable valeriana celtica scent. Give it a couple of wears and you'll see. :)

I have the EdT and wear it regularly in the warmer months. The opening is very citrusy, but the drydown has that unmistakeable valeriana celtica scent. Give it a couple of wears and you'll see. :)
Must admit I have only worn it a couple days so I will try it some more and hopefully I'll get more of that note.

Top Bottom