What's new

spanish point?

can anyone tell what the advantages are of a spanish point? or other points? I've read joel tutorial (straight through in one pass :wink:) butt it was not completely clear to me, except that the spike is something to be very carefull with.

thanks

can anyone tell what the advantages are of a spanish point? or other points? I've read joel tutorial (straight through in one pass :wink:) butt it was not completely clear to me, except that the spike is something to be very carefull with.

thanks

The Spanish point lets you get into places such as the nostrils without the intimidation of the spike. It's the same principle as the barber's notch without the notch.

I'm not sure I would even consider shaving in my nose with a straight...
The points generally are a matter of user preference, a spike although risky, gives superb control to the experienced user. with a true spike, you can use the tip to pluck a single bothersome hair For absolutely perfect lines in a beard moustache, or side burns, a spike is excellent. A spike is sometimes also referred to as a square point
I generally reserve spikes for just that, detail work.
A round point is a spike with training wheels. The round point takes a little of the risk out of it, but it also can get in the way when you are working in close quarters around ears, nose etc...

French point or oblique is difficult to describe, the edge hangs out past the spine... they are more versatile than round points, and safer than spikes, but I don't care for the look.

barber's notch is a square point with a small notch in the end. In this day and age we really don't know if the notch actually served a purpose, although there is a lot of speculation.

Spanish point, is somewhat like a round point or a french point with a smooth notch. More artistic than a barbers notch, but it's mainly decorative. This is my favorite style of blade. It's not better or worse than any other style, but it looks very elegant.

Top Bottom