What's new

Unspeakable horror

Kelly mentioned Haddo's Delight recently, and it occurred to me that I hadn't had any open for some time. The 8 oz. can from 2006 that I picked up at the Vegas Pipe Show some years ago seemed like its time had come. The 2002 mylar bag that I bought at the same time (of the inaugural herf of the 2017 L.E. fame) was mind-blowingly good stuff - good enough for me to dedicate one of my nicest briars to the blend. I dug around in the war chest and pulled out the treasure.

As soon as I popped the lid, I could tell something was horribly wrong. I leaned in for that first sniff, anticipating the wondrously fragrant aroma for which Haddo's is famous. Instead, I got stale air. Almost no scent whatsoever. I reached into the tin, and the tobacco on top just crumbled at my touch. Bone. Dry. Dust.

20230812_141136.jpg

I transferred the tobacco into a large mason jar, harboring the faintest hope that it might be salvageable, at least somewhat. Near the bottom, though, and throughout the inside of the tin, were clumps of rust. Doomed.

There is a small dent in the can, which may have had something to do with the oxidation which has been invisibly destroying the tobacco for who knows how many years.

Scheisse.

Last edited:
Are you going to rehydrate what's left? It won't be as good, but I'm sure it will still be plenty tasty.
I was hoping to, but there's a few bits of rust in there. Even if I were able to separate it out, the tobacco seems really far gone. I'm afraid I'd be setting myself up for disappointment even trying. I've got over 3 pounds of Haddo's still, so I'm just going to chalk it up as a loss.

Are you going to rehydrate what's left? It won't be as good, but I'm sure it will still be plenty tasty.

I was hoping to, but there's bits of rust in there. Even if I were able to separate it out, the tobacco is really far gone. I'm afraid I'd be setting myself up for disappointment even trying. I've got over 3 pounds of Haddo's still, so I'm just going to chalk it up as a loss.

If anyone wants to try, though, and maybe do a thread about the effort, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Top Bottom