What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

I guess just a couple of notable thermoses...

'05 Xiaguan Cang'Er tuo was relatively pleasant (northern tea depth, almost chicory, and dry florals. Also, consistently lightly sweet sensation that makes this refreshing) if almost as flat as hongcha. Makes for good work tea.

I blended the last 1.6g of EoT '17 Yiwu Guoyoulin with .4g of Hengrunfeng Yiwu, and I got the performance I expected out of the second full session. Rich foodie sweetness. Seems like the second session was a little more starkly barnyard, and didn't have as much deep vegeto-choco that lent it an easily enjoyable solid flavor. Interesting.

Today was my birthday (and no I don't much like birthdays and holidays, because they make me feel physically isolated, while confronted with feelings of things undone), so I treated myself to some Black Wrapper. I wind up concluding that there isn't very much overall qualitative difference between Black Wrapper and Youle. Outside of the best northern teas, I don't think the '07 XZH productions are as successful as the '06. Mengsong, Manlin, Hekai are all just not in either the Youle or LBZ's class. To me, the Yiwus are a wash as they are substantially different teas, but I do sort of think I'd view the '07 Yiwu at an equal, or close to it, level to the '06 Youle.

Anway, here we go. I took most of the leaves from the middle layers of the cake, plenty of broken leaves. The aroma tended to have a stronger emphasis on wood. First brew even had some light retired smoke. There was also an unusual emphasis on a mineral aspect to the aroma, a bit like a yancha. Earlier brews had the expected sweet nutmeat, and there was also some herbal sense. Plumminess was unusually absent in this session in both aroma and taste. Only one brew had any distinct aged tea plummy character in the aroma. Late brews simplify into wood, and even later, mineral aroma. The taste is generally light wood and sweet nutmeat early. A much more bitter tea than Black Wrapper usually is. The third brew was best in sense as it was the most complex in terms of aroma and taste, good aftertastes, too. Taste sort of shrinks to being mostly wood with other elements as session moves forward, like medicinalness, mushroom, sugarcane. Late brews are more of a aged dry stored taste that you'd find in most Menghai productions, sort of mushroom, barnyard, honey. Only this didn't have much honey in top taste, and more mineral notes. The viscosity was only fairly medium to good most of the way through. Late brews are somewhat thick. Not too much in the way of texture other than a sort of thickness. However, was also more astringent than usual. The tea leaves deep inside the cake could use another decade! The aftertastes, though, reflects that bitterness and astringency--good performance in that department, with early session pungent huigan that return honeysuckle like florals, some good floral mouth aroma. Later has some good mouthcoat, relatively medicinal, and then lots of fairly strong yiwu-style sweet huigan that fills mouth with sweetness late in the session. Excellent performance when it comes to cooling feeling in the mouth and strong feeling down the throat to the tummy this session. The qi was rather gentle. It took a while before I realized that my butt was planted to the chair. Thought the qi was weak at first. The qi didn't really endure through the session, and fades as taste does. Durability was okay, I probably took this a bit less than twenty brews overall.

Youle clearly performs better in terms of viscosity and texture of soup, durability in taste and of qi, and ease of drinking. The BW, like the Qixiang and some of my other all totally dry stored teas, still has slight green bite that interrupts a totally mellow enjoyment. Youle has had same storage, but it's much easier, for some reason. Youle can also have a more elegant aroma, certainly more cups with good aroma. BW has a more complex taste, stronger base taste, at least early, more potent energy in mouth, and a prettier complement of aftertastes.

Last Sunday, I did the 2007 XZH Jipin. I only found it okay, which had a lot to do with how the storage notes obscure the more delicate aspects of the tea. This was capable of some very nicely complex aftertastes. I did wind up being less enthusiastic about the idea of getting a second cake. Might still do so, but it will take a while until the storage decompresses some. This is the big issue with buying cakes off of Facebook auctions--the randomness of storage, heavily weighted to the humid side. You shouldn't buy cakes thinking you'll get nonpareil stuff. You should buy cakes because it's much cheaper to accept the narrower choices and iffy storage, when you just want *something* nice and not to specific about what.

Nothing special this week for thermoses, except for '02 Tai Lian. I finished the last of the first of three cakes I bought in 2011, sprinkling the crumbs in the thermos and picking out neifei papers. This was better than the last time I thermosed this tea, and again, I think about whether I really should buy more cakes. Leaning towards no, mostly because I still have too more, and I can't pretend I'm not a stamp collector, and I'm getting to have enough for likely lifetime consumption of tea at current rats.

Do want to note that 2010 EoT Bangwei gave another quite decent thermos. Not a worldbeater, but seems like not too much of a loss. A rather sweet tea with an interesting tobacco aroma.

Today was EoT 2017 Yibang Ancient. Definitely inclined not to think this is that great of a tea. The main issue is that the tea becomes simple waaaaay too fast.

Aroma is pretty good early (and more disciplined than the first session's floral bomb), dry floral with other things like sheng, wild honey, barnyard, and more straight honey underneath. It turns low volume at around six brews, tho' it does go on. Top taste is honey/wild honey with floral high notes. Can be a bit tart in that young sheng way. Viscosity starts off moderate, but by brew three or so, is quite adequately thick. Has some drying astringency, is generally productive in generating a strong and long lasting floral mouthcoat. The finish can be fruity. One brew had a nice floral yun. Floral, floral, floral, huh? The qi starts off mild, and gets a bit stronger to mild-moderate, and eases off late. As said before, active phase durability is rather short, about five-six brews. Will brew with flavor and floral aftertaste for at least a decent while after that, but boring.

Well, I woke up this morning with some of that Yibang floral in my mouth, so yeah, it's really floral.

Today was the 2016 YQH Endless Possession, advertised as being forest Yiwu. This session reminded me more of a bulang though, but there are some real similarities to the 2010 Shenyang Tianchen.

The aroma tends to consistently have grains, sometime sweetish in it. There are occasional brews with some fleshy florals or fruit notes with that grain. It becomes unremarkable by the sixth brew or so. The taste is mainly grains and aromatic soil-almost wood. There is a consistent bitterness that is similar to the uber expensive 2010 tea's herbalness. The viscosity is nicely thick, above average for a gushu, not too exceptional. Also generally rather smooth, and consistently makes for a good feeling in the mouth. Most of the tea's complexity came from the finish and aftertaste, which is predominantly yiwu huigans in the mouth. Those huigans are more of a floral and fruit character instead of the more typical caramelish notes. The qi starts off mild-moderate and eventually is around moderate, before tailing off deeper into the session. Like yesterday's tea, it has a relatively short active phase. The consistent flavor late brews are more robust, though than yesterday's tea, and like with the first session, this gives me the sense that it will be a pretty good ager.

I think that this is an okay value at $225, tho' I'm not hugely enthusiastic. It's not a better value than comparably expensive 2016 White2tea productions, not that there is an actual similar product I can point towards.

At this point, I'm mostly going to stop buying cakes, because I'm tired of spending so much money on them. Bought a couple of We Go High, and a Magic Mountain DNA, and that should be it. The main issue is that it just costs way too much to buy great new tea. The flip side is also that I'm fed up with the storage of the gushu teas you can get cheaper in Taiwan. That is to say--I have lots of tea from earlier eras that have always been dry stored, and I don't have to put up with that mess. Doesn't mean I won't be low balling some teas, just in case. I mean, for all that the '07 Jipin has its issues, it's still a better tea than the always dry '16 YQH, and probably always will be, and it costs less/can cost much less.

Hey guys! First post here on the SOTD Forum on B&B but I've been an avid follower of the thread for over a year or so. Shah, keep up the posts! It seems like there aren't as many regular contributors as there used to be but I've learned an invaluable amount of info from following this thread. I'm a broke college student in the depths of an expensive puerh habit haha. Just diving into the more premium YQH, XZH, CYH over the last 6 months, as well as frequently making purchases at the more typical Western Vendors(YS, W2T...) Anyways, Shah how is that you've been able to get your hands on these newish XZH cakes 2011-14? I've kind of hit a wall in finding other productions from them than the more publicized Black Wrapper, Diangu, Yiwu Chawang 07. I definitely agree that I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase of new/full cakes given the increasing prices/not knowing whether you'll even enjoy it. As for the SOTD, last night I had a long sesh with the YQH 666 that's now sold out. It definitely had similarities to the Dinji more so than say the tejipin. Great Qi, meaty, thick mouthfeel. I didn't encounter much bitterness/astringency even with a high g/ml and with a younger (09) tea. Taste was a very nice mix of wood, plumish fruit, and dessert sweetness towards the end. Overall very happy with this purchase.

Hey everybody. Great to see you obritten, more posts appreciated.

I had a puersk order come in. I got a cake and a few samples, and then a few free samples thrown in. The cake I got was the Lao Man' E and the samples Naka, 2 Mansa, one gushu the other 10 tree gushu and also Bangpen, the first two of the samples which I have tried (all '17). Also I tried my 2004 Xiaguan 8653, southern taiwan stored from Toby.

First, my puersk cake. This one has a lot of different, moving parts, so much so that each couple steeps could be split up and I could go through each pair, but that might be too much. First, the dry leaf is amazing super deep and has that prickly acid that is tingly and delicious. At first it has darker flavors, deeply sweet with a broad bitterness that builds. Consistently there is a super noticeable entrance of the bitterness. You sip the tea and its sweet and greatly textured, and then you feel and notice from the back of your mouth a growing bitterness and over a couple seconds you see it get to where it stagnates. The bitterness peaks from about steeps 6 to 9. The first couple steeps gave way to an amazing aftertaste. It takes a bit of time to taste and then lasted a while. It was a strong mint and lychee, maybe even starbust or just a very lychee lychee flavor. The up front flavor wasn't super strong, even a little weak with all the things around it. It was fruity, maybe a little mushroom. Around steep 5 the flavor goes 'generically bulang'. There isnt gasoline or smoke at all, but its not green nor oolongish. The texture is really gloopy, first steeps are oily and then it gets super creamy and that lasts forever. It really stays in the throat after the swallow. I got a little bored around steep 13. It is heavy all around, thats the main way I want to put it, and dark in the way a young and strong tea can be. i liked the bitterness alot and its so elegant! I could get a more bitter young factory tea, but I knew good lao man' e would be pleasantly strongly bitter. Maybe thats my own perception but its enjoyable! Energy was nice some buzzing, eye movement and happiness.

So the '17 Mansa (as compared to the Lao GanGan). I haven't had much expensive yiwu. I can think of my one YQH cake the teji. Also i have had '15 GFZ from Essence and I did really like that. Anyways, grapes and cotton candy - easy. There is some baking spices. That is at first, later the flavor gets a little darker maybe some blackberry and foresty. I like the spices. Also, so different from Menghai "terroir". This aftertaste was also amazing! I described it as the best smoothie I have heard had - perfect sour and sweet balance, really rich. This is a rich tea. I will say the flavor dies out a little quicker than I would have liked and felt almost shortchanged. I was excited for all the fruit. This has a lot of activity at the back of the mouth. I remember this also made me happy. One qi issue might be that I am a student and I have my special teas on Friday cause I have light classes today and the weekend and all that so where is the happiness coming from? I do get different body differences, but I feel like there is a larger body difference between aged and young, young might be more of the same body feeling across the board. When I get to the better trees hopefully it will be an interesting comparison.

The '17 Naka. Honestly, a little disappointing! I have a cheapie from Chawang that is just Mengsong and, you know what, they tasted almost identical. This might be more distinctly pineapple-y and a little sweeter, as well as stronger processed, the only puersk of the 3 with some gasoline. But it is really really oily its very nice for a couple steeps. Its also gloopy like the Lao Man' E. There is a strong energy too lots of eye laziness and the liquid moves into my toes, fingers and head. Lots of just unadulterated caffeine too. Very juicy thick, but in a way I also get from the chawang cake. Aftertaste is a sharp, nice vinegar.

The '04 Xiaguan 8653- 3+1. This has that nice humid storage, where the tea is soft, a little cherry sour and very thick. It has nice woodiness and some caramel. It has rich juicy finish and lots of back of the mouth activity. It is minty cooling, especially on the top of the mouth. As it opens more the astringency lightens and its very woody sweet and oily. There is a lot of astringency on the side of the liquid, while the tongue gets more of a blankety liquid. This reminds me of EoT's wild peacock '06. It is a nice full tea. I was a little nervous to buy it cause I knew I was paying for the name but it is a very nice tea. It is hard to describe but it is simultaneously comfortable and on the powerful side, sour and definable taste while the texture is just so nice from the humider storage. Here is some more noticeable qi in a psychosomatic way. It is very relaxing both body and mind. It feels like after a nice yoga session, more flexible, feeling my body more and my mind is alerted yet relaxed. It highlights the young and old difference. Especially because at least I am perceiving less caffeine, or those purely excited amped up side of things.

Anyways thanks for reading. I am happier with my variety of puerh, and I think holiday shopping will round out my collection, both aged and regional diversity should be sufficient.

So a backlog here, so let's get to it...

Last Saturday was a glorious session with the '07 XZH Xishangmeishao. It was much more savory and less sweet than it usually is, and quite a bit like the '07 XZH Kuzhushan.

In the aroma, sweet cooked grains was often present, as well as woods and florals. A couple other notes like butterscotch a couple of times, and barnyard in the fourth brew. Aroma dims after about the seventh brew. The top taste had a strong and dark off-jinggu note with wood and florals. To a degree, it was like drinking water brewed with resinous wood or sandalwood. It wasn't quite incensy, but a wood taste with a strong character that also had a lot of dry-ish/tobacco-ish florals. The traditional sourness this tea has always had is here too. It's very round and lends a lot of weight to the taste, such that the mouth gets a little tired, and I generally drink this tea slowly. Acidity is done by the sixth brew. In the fourth-six brews, there is an intriguing cherry/plum note hidden underneath the wood. In the latter part of the session, the tea keeps going with a light off-jinggu and floral wood taste with a slight bit of subtlety that keeps me interested in drinking more. Of course, what also kept me drinking more was the outstanding thickness and texture, almost as good as the '08 XZH Puzhen. Almost as thick and was sort of sticky and cohesive early, and more...velvet and granular later. This tea had a lot of strong cooling for the first four brews, and goes down throat nicely. The aftertastes were strong and varied. Consistently had a strong yiwu-style conversion to sweetness (but not as strong as usual), sweetness of cooked grains. As with the Kuzhushan, the first four brews had good pungent huigans. There was also a very good floral mouth aroma. Some mouthcoat action that leads to lasting wine taste in the mouth. After the fourth or so brews, it's genenerally just the yiwu-huigan and the mouthcoat doing that aftertaste work. The qi is strong and very comfortable. Mostly body IRRC. The durability is bifurcated with just a short super active phase of about the first four brews and a long aftermath of slowly declining quality. Session went a long way, but I think I didn't push it as long as I could have because was very slow.

Last Sunday was the '10 XZH Manlin. I didn't have as good a session as the first, and comments made to me by people I gave samples seemed to be correct in that it's relatively on the light tasting side. Basically light wood, barnyard, vegetalness, with some subtle fruit notes. Viscosity was medium. Mild-moderate qi. The aftertastes were pleasantly sweet, though, and in the length of the session, the tea seemed to prove that it does have some pleasant guts on offer, just not a very demonstrative session that time.

Thermoses of last week

Xishangmeishao thermos. It was pretty good, didn't pour on schedule so results were off, especially on the overcooked side of things.

'04 Changtai Jinzhushan. Thermos made me realize, in comparison to the younger (partial) Kuzhushan, this tea is very round and mellow and easy to drink. I suspect Changtai processed this to be this round.

'05 Xiaguan Cang'er tuo. Wanted to compare a sort of similar mass consumer tea, and this is not as good, but acceptable.

W2T maocha. Good thickness and good honey sweetness. Much less green and bitter than it was last year.

W2T Brother '16. Less thick than expected. Rather more fruity than usual for a Nannuo. A bit hard to drink.

Today was the XZH '11 Hi-pro-World (awful translation, the Gedeng). I had bought a second cake so cheaply (relative to how a serious Gedeng should cost...) that even the rather expensive shipping could be folded in and it would still be a bargain. So now I can drink this cake more often!

Even though it's from 2011, this tea still has had serious humidity that will take some time to dissipate. Dry leaves had some basement and the first brew had some of that minerality. As with before, this tea does take a few brews before it really gets going. Anways, after the wash brew, the aroma tends to be focused on molasses early, with a bit of wood and sweetness like caramel. Then at about the forth brew, it becomes more of a wispy floral wood note. Delicate, and I had to carefully sniff, but enjoyable. From there it declines gracefully as the session goes on. The top taste generally is not complicated and is rather narrow. I think that's typically of small and medium-leaf puerh varietal. However, when asked, friends have said that the similarly small-leaf '09 XZH Jingmai is much bigger flavored. Could be storage, could just be the nature of the tea. Anyways, the taste tends to have varying proportion of wood and molasses with guest appearance of herbs, plum, and milk(shows up later, around sixth or so). This session, unlike the first, didn't have much sourness. Only the third brew had any (herbal)bitterness at all. The viscosity had good thickness, but again, didn't have much of a notable texture. Smooth on entry, but as the cup is drunk, the astringency left behind tend to build a bit. Very good cooling performance, and strong performance going down throat. It takes a while to really get the aftertastes going, beginning with a sweet root-herbal yiwu-huigan/mouthcoat at about the fourth brew. A bit later in the session, the astringency conversion tended to create a palette of subtle flavors that really rewarded slow sipping. A couple of brews had a good, if shallow pungent huigan, and most of the latter session was capable of lasting mouthcoats, with flavors like wine. Qi is really good. It's very strong and comfortable in a way that, say, many Wangong teas don't (preferring to hit you over the head). It also tends to lift the mood and last long after the last sip of the cup. Late session, the qi is much lower, but the positive aspects are still there. Durability is pretty good as I did about fifteen brews, and could have done more.

Obritten, I use Facebook auction to buy most of those newer teas, and I purchased the '13 Hongyin from a Guangdong reseller--https://weidian.com/?userid=317078568

666 is made for longer term aging. Be a while before that tea becomes seriously good.

'08 Puzhen. This wasn't that good, owing mainly to how long it took to ramp up. A bit muted. Overall theme is a bit wood, a bit artisinal clay, with a broader fruit sensibility providing sweetness underneath it. Soup wasn't that thick, but it does have the great texture it usually does. Qi was decently good. Durability was as before, somewhat on the indefinite side, but I wasn't that interested in drinking that many brews. Xishangmeishao last weekend overshadowed this tea.

So a backlog here, so let's get to it...

Last Saturday was a glorious session with the '07 XZH Xishangmeishao. It was much more savory and less sweet than it usually is, and quite a bit like the '07 XZH Kuzhushan.

In the aroma, sweet cooked grains was often present, as well as woods and florals. A couple other notes like butterscotch a couple of times, and barnyard in the fourth brew. Aroma dims after about the seventh brew. The top taste had a strong and dark off-jinggu note with wood and florals. To a degree, it was like drinking water brewed with resinous wood or sandalwood. It wasn't quite incensy, but a wood taste with a strong character that also had a lot of dry-ish/tobacco-ish florals. The traditional sourness this tea has always had is here too. It's very round and lends a lot of weight to the taste, such that the mouth gets a little tired, and I generally drink this tea slowly. Acidity is done by the sixth brew. In the fourth-six brews, there is an intriguing cherry/plum note hidden underneath the wood. In the latter part of the session, the tea keeps going with a light off-jinggu and floral wood taste with a slight bit of subtlety that keeps me interested in drinking more. Of course, what also kept me drinking more was the outstanding thickness and texture, almost as good as the '08 XZH Puzhen. Almost as thick and was sort of sticky and cohesive early, and more...velvet and granular later. This tea had a lot of strong cooling for the first four brews, and goes down throat nicely. The aftertastes were strong and varied. Consistently had a strong yiwu-style conversion to sweetness (but not as strong as usual), sweetness of cooked grains. As with the Kuzhushan, the first four brews had good pungent huigans. There was also a very good floral mouth aroma. Some mouthcoat action that leads to lasting wine taste in the mouth. After the fourth or so brews, it's genenerally just the yiwu-huigan and the mouthcoat doing that aftertaste work. The qi is strong and very comfortable. Mostly body IRRC. The durability is bifurcated with just a short super active phase of about the first four brews and a long aftermath of slowly declining quality. Session went a long way, but I think I didn't push it as long as I could have because was very slow.

Last Sunday was the '10 XZH Manlin. I didn't have as good a session as the first, and comments made to me by people I gave samples seemed to be correct in that it's relatively on the light tasting side. Basically light wood, barnyard, vegetalness, with some subtle fruit notes. Viscosity was medium. Mild-moderate qi. The aftertastes were pleasantly sweet, though, and in the length of the session, the tea seemed to prove that it does have some pleasant guts on offer, just not a very demonstrative session that time.

Thermoses of last week

Xishangmeishao thermos. It was pretty good, didn't pour on schedule so results were off, especially on the overcooked side of things.

'04 Changtai Jinzhushan. Thermos made me realize, in comparison to the younger (partial) Kuzhushan, this tea is very round and mellow and easy to drink. I suspect Changtai processed this to be this round.

'05 Xiaguan Cang'er tuo. Wanted to compare a sort of similar mass consumer tea, and this is not as good, but acceptable.

W2T maocha. Good thickness and good honey sweetness. Much less green and bitter than it was last year.

W2T Brother '16. Less thick than expected. Rather more fruity than usual for a Nannuo. A bit hard to drink.

Today was the XZH '11 Hi-pro-World (awful translation, the Gedeng). I had bought a second cake so cheaply (relative to how a serious Gedeng should cost...) that even the rather expensive shipping could be folded in and it would still be a bargain. So now I can drink this cake more often!

Even though it's from 2011, this tea still has had serious humidity that will take some time to dissipate. Dry leaves had some basement and the first brew had some of that minerality. As with before, this tea does take a few brews before it really gets going. Anways, after the wash brew, the aroma tends to be focused on molasses early, with a bit of wood and sweetness like caramel. Then at about the forth brew, it becomes more of a wispy floral wood note. Delicate, and I had to carefully sniff, but enjoyable. From there it declines gracefully as the session goes on. The top taste generally is not complicated and is rather narrow. I think that's typically of small and medium-leaf puerh varietal. However, when asked, friends have said that the similarly small-leaf '09 XZH Jingmai is much bigger flavored. Could be storage, could just be the nature of the tea. Anyways, the taste tends to have varying proportion of wood and molasses with guest appearance of herbs, plum, and milk(shows up later, around sixth or so). This session, unlike the first, didn't have much sourness. Only the third brew had any (herbal)bitterness at all. The viscosity had good thickness, but again, didn't have much of a notable texture. Smooth on entry, but as the cup is drunk, the astringency left behind tend to build a bit. Very good cooling performance, and strong performance going down throat. It takes a while to really get the aftertastes going, beginning with a sweet root-herbal yiwu-huigan/mouthcoat at about the fourth brew. A bit later in the session, the astringency conversion tended to create a palette of subtle flavors that really rewarded slow sipping. A couple of brews had a good, if shallow pungent huigan, and most of the latter session was capable of lasting mouthcoats, with flavors like wine. Qi is really good. It's very strong and comfortable in a way that, say, many Wangong teas don't (preferring to hit you over the head). It also tends to lift the mood and last long after the last sip of the cup. Late session, the qi is much lower, but the positive aspects are still there. Durability is pretty good as I did about fifteen brews, and could have done more.

Obritten, I use Facebook auction to buy most of those newer teas, and I purchased the '13 Hongyin from a Guangdong reseller--https://weidian.com/?userid=317078568

666 is made for longer term aging. Be a while before that tea becomes seriously good.
I realize now that I misspoke. I got confused with the other YQH 3 numbered tea haha. The tea I have and reviewed in my last post is the 2009 YQH 888..much different character from what ive read about the 666. I think my subconscious is telling me I need to pick up one of the last samples of the 666 from LPs etsy shop lol

Some quick notes...

I got in doubles of the 2011 XZH Gedeng, Malin, and I had thrown in a shu made by Dengshihai. This tea: 2007鄧時海鴻運餅茶 21402225572136 | 露天拍賣-台灣 NO.1 拍賣網站 .

I did talk a bit about how I got the 2011 Gedeng way too cheaply for what it was. Gedeng doesn't produce much gushu tea at all, and not particularly serious productions of Gedeng tea costs more than this tea did. Now, when I got the tea, and later when I opened the bag, well, I was disappointed. The tea had been seriously humid stored to the point that the cake smelled of basement and there was a bit of frosting. So you know there isn't going to be any sort of resale value had I been interested in that. I consoled myself that the best features of the tea (like the qi) probably wasn't impacted, and resigned to letting it air out however long it takes to lower or be rid of the basement. Just goes to show you some of the risks involved in buying teas from TW. My first cake definitely had basement when you heated the leaves in a prewarmed pot, so I think this was an issue that I got the last cake in the tong, with the worst conditions. The first cake didn't have much aroma at all, so it was sort of aired out, I think. No frosting either, tho'.

Manlin looked/smelled the same.

The shu was pretty interesting. It has obvious raw leaves blended in, and I think it's supposed to be very 8592. It has a lot of qi for a shu, at least as much as the an xiang. It also had a layered taste profile shu does not usually have, with a fruit later similar to basic sheng version of the tea made in 2007. It's also very astringent for a shu. In western and thermos brewing, it's capable of real aftertastes, but not in my two gongfus. The first was overleafed, and made for sour start and late brews were flavorful and nice. The second session didn't have sourness, and not as nice late. I did a quickie session with the shu version of white whale that Paul sent me, as that it should also be Fengqing shu, and the new tea is easily better, notably in lively taste and thicker soup.

Saturday's tea was the EoT Mansai. Overleafed, had strong flavor, but was relatively flat tasting w/exception of a sort of floral layer/aftertaste. Okay aroma, but not thick or strong in qi. Made me think that in a way, Bulang is overrated. In the sense that people talked about that area as tea from there will age nicer in a general way, when actually, there is now a lot of relatively sucky ten year Bulang tea that is thin with a bit of Menghai honey and some barnyard. You have to discriminate with Bulang just as much as you would any other place.

Sunday's tea was We Go High. I vacillate whether this tea is menghai or Xigui-ish northern tea or a combination. It sort of behaves like a sweet leaf Menghai tea, but the sweetness is very intense in the way of really good Bingdao or Xigui-like teas. It's also aggressive to the tummy like those areas too. Today, feeling the Menghai.

Some quick notes...
Sunday's tea was We Go High. I vacillate whether this tea is menghai or Xigui-ish northern tea or a combination. It sort of behaves like a sweet leaf Menghai tea, but the sweetness is very intense in the way of really good Bingdao or Xigui-like teas. It's also aggressive to the tummy like those areas too. Today, feeling the Menghai.

I had those exact thoughts too.

Okay, a couple of reviews...I think I had a shu last Sunday.

Last Saturday, I tried out the 2017 MagicMountainDNA from White2Tea. To put things short, this seems to be a blend of Nannuo and Northern Bulang, and is what I'd imagine a young 1999 Big Green Tree to be like. It's also fairly astringent, and isn't really meant for drinking now.

The soup aroma transitioned through various typical menghai aromas like menghai mushrooms, forest florals, barnyard, some root herbs and mineralness, too. Seems to have lasted a decent way into the session. The taste tends to be on the darker side of meghai flavor with choco and barnyard flavor being the base taste, with some forest florals, high wood notes, etc. The viscosity runs on the moderate to good side with a somewhat velvet texture, but it's consistently more than casually astringent and drying. There is some productive aftertastes that rises from that, with some nice menghai floral mouth aroma in the mouth. Aftertastes are pretty subdued, with only a sort of interesting persistent sweet sensation on tonguetip. There is a sweet finish that's sort of Yiwu style huigan as well. The qi is on the pretty good side of things, not too spectacular. I don't think I really pushed the tea too hard in terms of durability. Will need to have another session at some point.

Overall, I decided it was a bit of a mistake to buy this tea--I should have bought two We Go High and one Tuhao, or one We Go High and one **** What You Heard. This tea was a bit pedestrian to me, even though it's not a bad tea at all. It's very even, very Menghai, and somewhat by the numbers, so there isn't that much actual flamboyant novelty in what was a novelty seeking impulse buy. In context with what Western tea makers have made, it's really good, but in context of what I have, and what I've bought from White2Tea (more expensive tea, natch) before, not too much in the way of fireworks. I think I get the gist of what was meant by a difficult year though--hard work getting to solid. Marco Gaultieri thinks that this year's stuff is better, though. If I wanted to buy tea to store for a few years, this would be a pretty good candidate, though. Should probably buy a kilo for that purpose and not a single cake.

The tea today was some '09 XZH Xicontianxiang sheng. It had early problematic sourness through first three brews. A little like the Xishangmeishao, but not as rounded and nice, so... just heavy. Aroma tended to be a very pleasant sweet barnyard with a high hot-sand/clay/wood fringe to it. Taste is very tobacco with some barnyard, artisinal clay. Late taste is nearly aromatic wood with a more honey-ish sweetness underneath it. Good viscosity, mostly smooth and gloopy with a little bit of bad astringency here and there. This tea does a great job changing flavors in the mouth. You'd get savory tobacco entry, some sweet lowness, and then a palette of shifting flavors, with some quite pleasant fruit notes among them. This tea also hits the top of the throat quite nicely, ringing with a very shallow pungent huigan or two, and sometimes it goes down the throat well, too. Qi is pretty good early, but tails off late. Durability is pretty good, but I have some sinus pain right now, and that kept me from really pushing the tea.

On Friday, I had some An Xiang shu. It's beginning to get some chenxiang character, which is quite nice and refined. Very high quality qi in early brews.

I have been testing out that Dengshihai shu, and am less enthusiastic now. Main good quality is high qi level. Erratic on taste and durability. Some sessions have early sourness, some doesn't. Some session maintain high levels of flavor while others crap out quickly. OTOH, even when crapping out, if brewed for a long time, later brews of not so great session have a lot of depth to its character.

Some interesting thermos of the days...

'09 Xicontianxiang sheng. This was really good, particularly in the sense of how much the flavors changed in the mouth.

'07 XZH LongFeng. Not particularly great. Was reminded just how erratic a tea this is, and when it's not good, it's a relatively thin-tasting tea.

'10 EoT Manmai. Quite respectable. Not as solidly sweet as the Bangwei, but has more flavor nuances, and some degree of finish and aftertaste.

'09 XZH Beginning Bessings shu. I sort of bought this from TW in hopes that it would be a loud shu like the '08 XZH XiShangJiaXi in a thermos, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

'06 XZH Youle. Deeply awesome, best feature was a sort of deep spiciness the Youle has on some session. Something like a combination of green camphor (also found when I did the '05 fall thermos) and cinnamon/nutmeg. Definitely distracted from work. One thing I had been thinking about was remembering all of the old classics I had at eleven years old, the '99 Dadugang Yuanbao, '99 Songpin Changtai, '98 Menghai Yieh Sheng, and the degree that this tea is wildly better at eleven than the teas in my memories.

--Just a general reminder. If you're in the market for paying lots and lots of money for elite tea and you intend to age it, the only thing that truly matters is the quality and vigor of the aftertaste. As a gauge, the 2016 Treachery of Storytelling 2 only has a moderate amount of aftertaste. Aftertastes generally age into some more mellow or nothing at all, so you have to start *strong* in order to get something likely to be truly magical later on.

I did some shu sessions

I tested out the '09 XZH properly, and it was mostly like a better version of White2Tea's Cream. It has a slightly thinner taste, but there is no muddiness in ruby soup color or taste. Really nice mouthfeel, same as Cream. Lots of qi. Strong point compared to most other shu is the strong and beautiful aroma it has. Some of the standard shu darker notes, but with some real floralness supporting it. While this is mostly a by-the-numbers-but-real-nice shu, it does have a distinguishing characteristic in that it has a tight and sharp bitterness, which isn't always obvious, but it's there. There is some resolving to wine or purple fruit notes. The XiShangJiaXi used to be bitter, but is not that anymore, so I was surprised by this tea's bitterness. Some slight space for a bit of aging.

As a response, I took out my '07 Dengshihai shu for more testing. I wound up feeling more positive about the tea. It's never going to be really nice--has a bit of an issue with sourness, muddy and odd flavor notes here and there, but it's nice enough--beyond that, it's more interesting than excellent, as that it does have more true substance than shu normally does. Layered flavor notes early on, and can be brewed firmly later on to get good later brews when most other shu are trying to decline gracefully with thin flavors. It also have very strong qi for shu. Now leaning back toward eventually buying the tong.

'09 Dayi Ziyun that I recieved later on, and not the ones I bought early on. Am wondering now whether it's a good fake. Very drinkable, with solid shu notes, but not elegant like it should be.

Today's session was the '10 XZH Hungshan (Manlin). It was nice enough. Has the same thinness to flavor as it had before. Prone to leaving sweet feeling in mouth. The taste and aroma was an almost woody floralness that I enjoyed, so along with the aftertastes, I just took it as a delicate tea. Had some bitterness, and in general, I think there is some beneficial aging that can happen.

Last edited:
This weekend, I drank a couple of nice shengs, using four grams...

The first tea, yesterday, was the 2007 ChenYuanHao LaoBanzhang. I liked it, and it had a strong start, but I wasn't that impressed by it overall. This is one of the bitter type LBZs.

Anyways, the aroma tends to anticipate the flavors, to a degree. Most of the time the aroma was a factor, it was dominated by a woods and cacao nibs note. Not that different from charcoal roast dark DHP-ish yancha. The taste also tended to be woods and cacao nibs, but with more variance. First brew had honey, barnyard, vegetalness, and some subsequent brews will have more barnyard element than others. The late brews tend to have more of a vegetal character with occasional sweet almond notes. Bitterness starts, peaks, and declines around brews three to five. A bit of sourness hangs around the bitterness The viscosity is medium-good for a premium tea, but not outstanding, and it has a smooth entry with a drying finish. The aftertastes very early on, during the first three brews, features aggressively moving taste and cooling notes after the sip. Lots of mouthcoat and and somewhat floral mouth aroma. There was a touch of yun, and this did go down the throat nicely. Not much in the way of pungent huigan in throat. Subsequent brews after the initial brews features a slow conversion of bitterness to floral and winey-fruit notes. After about the eighth or so brew, the tea is flattish and subtle as far as aftertastes are concerned. The qi is roughly about moderate, and on the low side for a quality lbz. When I examined the finished leaves (after about 12 or so brews, when the tea got boring), I saw that this tea was very tippy to small leaves, and I wondered whether if this tea did not hit harder when young from caffeine as well as qi. I did enjoy this tea, but I felt that it didn't compare well to my best tea. It's much tighter and more ninja-tastic than my XZH Black Wrapper, but the XZH has fuller taste, deeper aroma, and much more qi. It's also more durably nice. I can imagine this to be better than some of the more muted XZH from TW. Anyways, what I liked best about the tea was the top flavor and aroma, as that I don't really have any teas with this character. This made me lust for the '06 YQH LBZ which should have a similar character if I understand correctly. I have also heard that the '05 CYH LBZ is the same character and is better.

Anyways, I did some XZH '09 Mengsong gushu later that night, and that tea had more qi, better mouthfeel and more refinement. All of the weaknesses of shu, but I really enjoyed that more than I did the LBZ...

Today I did the 2011 BiYunHao Mahei. I was impressed by this tea. Most Mahei teas I've come across aren't that good, but this one is very decent. The main difficiencies, if you can even call it that, is that it's not superpremium, more or less just a premium level tea, and that the mouthfeel doesn't have that sort of milky-cotton mouthfeel that one could get from Mahei teas.

In terms of aroma, most of the time, it's a very nice blend of dry floral and herbal notes, and a few cups have a more fruity bent. It sort of does the same in terms of taste but in a different rate and incident of flavors. Can be a sort of tangy barnyard around the bitterness. Late brews tend towards a regular plumminess. There isn't a lot of strength in either aroma or taste, but there does tend to be a depth where you can seek all sorts of things in. The viscosity is moderate, enough for a premium tea, and it's relatively smooth, with less astringency than yesterday's lbz. This tea does have a good and very consistent aftertaste game which is mostly from mouth aroma after the swallow. Some mouthcoat, too. This also goes down the throat well. The qi is roughly the same strength as yesterday's LBZ, but more comfortable and easing. This was just a very well rounded tea, in comparison to the other two young BYH, the '16 GFZ Single Tree and the '10 Wangong. Both have much more bold taste and aromas, and the wangong is definitely stronger in qi--but this one is profitably complex that rewards attention in a way not true of the others and it's better at aftertastes than the others. I brewed this about thirteen to fifteen times and I could have easily gotten more good brews. The price I've seen for the tea in TW seems quite reasonable, comparable to the Sanhezhai Yiwu teas that Banatea sells.

I did a thermos of the 2012 Taochaju Yiwu, and that was better than usual, with fuller floral, fruit, honey flavor.

I also did a thermos of the 2011 XZH Gedeng, and checked up on the basement cake--that storage does seem to be fading, the cake also seems more aromatic in general than the clean cake I'm drinking from, but that maybe just the cake picking up aromas from the neighboring cakes (tho' not true from clean cake which is still low in aroma). The thermosed tea was interesting. The flavor was a bit thin and subtle, and I had some sense that the overall behavior was similar to the XZH Manlin. The pours were really different, though. First pour had this violets floral and blackberry character that was really wonderful, but second pour was hard to get any real sense of, like it was overbrewed, and third pour was nice in a different way. There was a pine character in all three pours.

I did a session of the 2006 YQH Shenpin Chawang yesterday. I had wanted to re-evaluate this tea in light of some of its current popularity. It's supposed to be a mix of bohetang, chawangshu, wangong, but whatever. Overall, I like this tea, but I consider this on the expensive side of things for what it offers.

The dry leaf and the first brew aroma had quite a bit of that Yang storage character. That changes quickly, and through the session, the aroma was rather dynamic as it moves between the poles of woody herbs and fruity honey. There is often a slight dry floral aspect to that aroma as well. Barnyard as well. The taste has a core of yiwu plumminess in the first five or so brew, but it collapses to a bit more ascetic woody herb darkness, some soil afterwards. The third brew was best with a pleasantly complex blend of choco, wood, herbs, and plumminess. The viscosity is usually very good, but this tea early on is fairly astringent for a twelve year old tea. Some of that astringency is productive though, in the way I associate with Wangongs, by generating a kind of explicitly fruit sweet note. In the several brews past the fourth, it helps maintain a more complex and engaging experience than otherwise would be the case. The tea is also capable of a very pleasant cooling aspect in some cups as well. There is a little feel going down the throat. The qi is on the stronger side during the first four or five brews, and then sort of change gears and moderate afterwards. It seems to me like a more soft (and more pleasant) version of that hard head hitting wangong qi, like what I get from the BYH Wangong. Durability is mostly that this tea has two gears, first one that is plummy, fruity, astringent for a short while, and then a long, indefinite phase of slight dark/soil-ish herby, which was emphasized on the back end. The qi is markedly less after the first phase as well. While I stopped on the front end of the session a little disappointed, when I restarted the back end, I enjoyed that herbal character, with good quality qi more readily and not comparing to more exciting cups. I have a problem with the tea costing $360 in the sense that were I really wanting to spend that much on a single cake, I should spend more on a cake I'd be truly happy with, like the Wushang Miaopin. If it was $250, I'd be very interested in it as a luxury drinker cake.

The tea I had today was something that was gotten from Facebook Auctions (sold by the sketchy Wangs, btw). The person who sent the sample to me and I have been calling it the Auspicious Yiwu, in Chinese the name is 天賜吉祥 易武正山古樹茶 from 2006. Has a current retail of about $95, and there is promise seen in this tea as a good drinker.

The was brew had a nice fruity- yiwu honey aroma with the distinct character of caramelized pineapples, like with upside down pineapple cake. The aroma generally tended to be dry floral and yiwu honey with some generic fruit tones. The taste tended towards the more conventional classical yiwu set among the higher honey, vegetal tones. Like the Taochaju Yiwu and some of the other cheaper yiwus out there. However this taste is much fuller than most cheaper Yiwu. Some medicinal aspects. There is a light sourness/acidity to the vegetal note that made the tea less friendly to me, and made me inclined to think I was drinking cheaper stuff. The taste wasn't very dynamic in the session, so roughly the same flavor note from cup to cup. Viscosity is certainly good, maybe only a little less thick than the YQH yesterday. The astringency is less than the YQH and is rather spotty, mostly hitting around the top of the throat. The aftertastes are rather sketchy. There is some lingering aftertastes, and I caught a yun or two, but I just didn't get that much of an aftertaste game, tho' I'm told that this was something the tea did, for the price. The qi was low to moderate, pleasant, and was consistently present through the session. Durability seems reasonable, but I didn't press this tea (watched a bunch of football), so maybe not more than ten brews. For my tastes, I'd say that this is a reasonable value at $95, but I'd be wary that this is one of those teas that are decent, but that you could find alot of teas that are decent at $95 or less. Main reason to think it's a bit more than decent is that the taste is rather full, and it does have good viscosity.

Sooo...four days of decent tea...

Thanksgiving day was the 2007 XZH Jipin. Early brews were really sharp with that particular sourness where the bitter should be. When it eased up, it became a really pleasant tea where the best feature is a length of taste that features shifting flavors and a nice plum note. Good viscosity, only somewhat moderate in terms of qi. Like We Go High (compared to its peers), this is more of a tea that is a relatively good all around tea rather than a tea that has one or two outstanding traits, like the Puzhen '08, where it reliably has great mouthfeel and good-great qi, but can be...a let down in other aspects sometimes. The Jipin is a bit understated, and also does require some genuine brewing ability to bring best foot forward--thus it's easy to underestimate it, in my book, but from what people have said when I sent samples, it usually is well-received. So maybe not.

Friday was a big day. I did a '90s sheng that had been stored long term in Malaysia. This was originally sent to the US with some incense to burn and people were invited to make comparison between the tea and the incense. I didn't get to try the incense. Another claim is that this tea is very much how the '50s Red Mark was when it was young, and so has a strong likelihood of aging further into some similar to how the Red Mark is today. So based on the putative preciousness, I was urged to use low tds water, which turns out to be Icelandic Glacier and 62ppm solids. I also used a stove-top kettle. Going all out for 4g in a gaiwan, eh? So, what were the results?

I didn't get that much of an incense character. The tea was predominantly shades of ginseng (like the actual herb and not the general Chinese characterization of a common shu note) tones and green camphor. The aroma starts off with a complex ginseng bouquet, and the first few brews were about shifting ginseng and herbal notes while lightening up. At about the fourth brew, the soup starts generating more green camphor elements to the aroma that shows up here and there at varying strength. The aroma stabilizes at a ratio of ginseng and camphor at around the eight infusion and is light but consistently there, past when I was done with it. The taste reflected the aroma, with lots of ginseng tones sort of present in parallel, making it a complex taste sensation. Green camphor is there from the start. Dry storage sourness is present early on and starts letting up at about the fourth brew. Taste overall isn't that broad a taste stage. Doesn't really fill the mouth, even though it's very much not a thin tea. There also isn't a real floor generated by humidity, like soil and dark taste, so the taste aspect is somewhat unexpectedly mezzosoprano, so to speak, despite having no green notes and lots of roots notes. In the latter part of the session, the tea opens up, gets sort of higher and shallower, and consistently incorporates a lightly sweet almond notes that is quite pleasantly accommodating of the basic ginseng character. The viscosity was medium good when starting out, and then became nicely thick as the session lengthened. There wasn't that much texture aside from a certain plumpness. It starts out smooth all the way through, then starts leaving with a drying (and productive) astringency, and clears out late. There is a very slight touch of bad astringency in throat that's very easily ignored. The aftertastes were very good. Very strong, lingering, and cooling mouthcoat, especially early. This tea is also still capable of shallow pungent huigans in a couple of brews. Feeling goes down the throat very nicely. Qi is pretty good. It's not overwhelming, and it doesn't really move in the body like really good old tea qi (prolly because it's still too young), but it did deliver on a really good sense of peace, slightly narcotic. In a couple of brews, the empty cup and pitcher aromas were very intense. I very much enjoyed the session even tho' I sort of had to work for my session by not doing it the way I usually do. It doesn't really deliver (much) more hedons than, say, my 2006 XZH Youle, but it has a nature that the Youle can't emulate for lack of age.

Saturday's session was with the same setup, water, gaiwan, stove-top, for the 2002 Tai Lian, as a control for Friday's session. I didn't get a great session out of the Tai lian. What wound up happening was that the low tds water makes the tea really transparent, and it emphasized the Tai Lian's biggest issue, which is the thin taste. It also amplified inelegant barnyard character in the aroma. Lastly, it suppressed the more silky velvet aspects of the soup texture in favor of the same sort of plumpness. Having brought the Tai Lian to tea meetups before, this session emphasizes that this tea is *very* sensitive to water. And I should use a seasoned pot. There were still some fun moments. The activity in the mouth was very strong. Earliest brews gave a lot of electric feel to the tonguetip. And later on, the soup basically was contact codeine or something, because it numbed the tongue and the front roof of the mouth very strongly, like if nutmeg is chewed. One brew was nicely sensate sweet, and while it didn't stay that sweet, the late brews were slightly sweet with mineral and wood aspects, and so was refreshing.

Today's session was with the 2017 Essence of Tea's Nancai. This was a rather simple tea. Generally fairly pleasant. The aroma is generally pretty generic sheng, with a touch of wuliang solanacae character/floralness. The core taste is a deep, almost coffee vegetalness that gradually gets higher and shallower with a few more notes showing up in the lengh, like some pleasant fruit notes. Viscosity is pretty good, gradually thins as the session goes on. The texture is generally just smooth, with a bit of drying astringecy, tho' late in the session it increases and causes me not to want to drink any more brews. Not really intense, but it was a very simple tea with limited pleasures, so... There was a slight tendency for yiwu-style huigans, and otherwise, a bit of lingering mouthcoat. The qi is on the light end of things, but clearly present. It's okay quality. I spent much of the time comparing this with the Farmer Direct tea from White2Tea because that was a recent tea I've had that was similarly low in complexity. The Nancai is more rich and dense in taste in the outset, which was interesting, given the difference in costs, but Farmer Direct is more enjoyably durable, beating the hare. It's also more clearly a tea that might age pleasantly.

Okay...whew!

Did some interesting thermoses, because I decided to use of the last of a purported '92 8582. That tea had a dark taste with some almond notes and a sort of fruitish finish. Wasn't that thick but had a fairly stiff texture. Some qi. I compared it with that Dengshihai shu, which had the shu's weaker true flavor, maybe a bit thicker viscosity, but not so textured, but stronger qi and somewhat comparable aftertastes. The next day I compared with the mid nineties Yiwu maocha that I got originally as a blind sample. That tea did not do that well. Had more aromatic wood notes, but slightly uncomfortable to drink, and not very complex. Then lastly I did the '98 DXS maocha from Sanhetang. That one did almost as well as the 8582, but a bit differently--more of a lingering complexity in the aftertaste. While it had more almond, the taste was overall much looser than the dense darkness of the 8582. Maybe has a bit more qi. I exited my work week a bit more impressed by the 8582 than when I had finished drinking it. Definitely a respectable '90s 8582 and not something like what was offered by TeaClassico with a thin taste and a bit of fun.

I had the day off on Friday, and wound up drinking the EoT Secret Forest. It was much less lively than when I first tried the tea. The base taste is a flattish vegetal taste with fruit and honey tones. Some of the potpourri florals that I've found in the '09 wild tea EoT once sold showed up a little in this session. Viscosity starts out thinner, but bulks up quick enough and is smooth. Maybe a touch of bad throat astringency. There is a decent lingering medicinal aftertaste with some cooling feel in the mouth. Some mouthcoat. The qi is moderate and nicely relaxing. Durability is okay, but the big issue is that the tea isn't that fun to drink owing to low dyanamcism, and not *that* much complexity in cup. I did enjoy the session, but if I had gotten the cake like I planned, it was definitely going to be left alone for a while so those florals build up. The Kunlu wild tea I remember has more character and complexity, but so did this one's first try. Well, I'll eventually try it...

The tea today, before football was the YQH Qizhong. I think this is a decent enough tea. Early brews really does have a nice aromatic wood component, and this tea is pretty thick in the mouth. There are some decent conversions to sweetness in the mouth. However, this tea has sharp elbows. It's somewhat astrigent, tart, and bitter. You wound up having to indulge the tea and not the tea indulge you. Well age fix things? Dunno, maybe. It's had lots of humidity for a decade, I'd think that time would have done more work. The other major issue is that there isn't really a core density in this tea's taste. Like a collection of witticisms without a controlling narrative. I think that while people can get this tea for a third of the price, one is much better off going for the YQH 666 for some of that woodiness.

'07 XZH Huangshanlin on a snow day (after some An Xiang shu). Used low tds spring water from Iceland.

Aroma is generally light, but very sophisticated and very dynamic over the session. Has lost much of its herbal aspects in favor of a sort of mineralness very vaguely like yancha.

Taste is also light, prodominantly minerals and sort of vegetal base taste. Strong bitter core with lots of the acidity that replaces bitterness gathering around it. Last tea had some hongcha roundness, but not present this time.

Viscosity is moderately good for a gushu tea, not that notably thick. Oily texture with some astringency that lends a velvetiness on entry. Sometimes a bit of a drying finish. Very enjoyable mouthfeel such that I kept it going late in the session to enjoy.

Aftertaste game, as usual is pretty killer. This tea does have the best game of any XZH, and maybe any tea I have or am aware of. Very, very, deep (like feeling that it comes from the lungs rather than the belly) pungent huigans with a decisive perfume character is the big feature of this session. There also a lot of shimmering flavors to fruit note, as found in the '07 XZH Jipin or '09 Xicontianxiang sheng--in this tea a sort of sweet strawberry-raspberry note.

In past sessions, there have been a very nice bitter conversion to a sort of mint taste that draws itself around the mouth. That didn't really happen here--the feeling tended to be a sort of warming Ben-Gay feeling in the front of the mouth and in the throat, and no mint taste. Lots of very strong feeling down throat and expanding the thoracic cavity, though.

The qi is extremely strong, and has gotten less heady and narcotic, and more body feel with some actual movement. Pretty good, but a bit intense.

Durability seems to be indefinite as far as worthwhile brews go, essentially on texture and qi, in much the same way as the '08 XZH Puzhen. While purportedly from the same area, this tea is relatively different from either Puzhen, and has rather little in common with Jinggu tea, much like '07 XZH Jipin. *shrugs* It does have some points in common with the '02 Tai Lian, tho'.

Houde is selling the '06 Taipei Commerative 100g cakes and the 250g jincha. While these aren't quite truly factory teas, the prices are very cheap for high quality factory teas of that age. The Jincha is five bucks cheaper than White2tea's Classic Shroom, and it should be much better for most people's tastes. (Also safer to extract leaf from, too).

2006 Taipei Tea Expo Memorial Mushroom Jingcha, Uncooked 250g - $32.95 : Hou De Asian Art & Fine Teas, - Formosa High Mountain Oolong, Yunnan Pu-erhs, Yixing / Taiwan Teaware.

2006 Tea Expo Memorial "Hun Tie" Xiao Beeng, 100g - $29.50 : Hou De Asian Art & Fine Teas, - Formosa High Mountain Oolong, Yunnan Pu-erhs, Yixing / Taiwan Teaware.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Pardon me while I attempt to decipher the wrapper of the cake I'm working my way through at the moment ...

Mengku Tea Company ... I think it's called GB/T22111-2008.
"Spirit of Tea"?

It looks exactly like this ...

proxy.php
proxy.php

Well, I've been really enjoying it. (It might actually be 2009 ... the sticker on the back has 2009 on it. Looking at my old order history it is almost certainly 2009 Spirit of Tea I ordered in 2012.)

2017 Essence of Tea Kunlu Wild. I like this tea better than the Secret Forest wild, mostly because the flavor is darker and a bit more substantial and less vegetal, and that it has a bit of nicely pungent aftertastes. I think it has less qi, and I'm not quite sure how well it will age, compared to the Secret Wild, which already had some of the floralness I'd be looking forward to. However, like Secret Wild, I'm not thrilled about the lack of dynamicism, and I got bored with this tea well before it was done. I think in general, I'm not really that much for wild tea.

What I am very much for is Old Whitey. I had a gongfu session with this tea for once, and at its best, it was a blend of dried jujube with fruit sweetness and floralness much like lavender. This tea also isn't that dynamic, but it's more complex in the mouth than the wild tea. It also didn't need to be that interesting as I explicitly enjoy the full taste. It can be a bit sour and astringent here and there, but I never minded. This tea performed quite a bit better than the last time I did a gongfu session, and better than the Nightlife gongfu, overall. Think Nightlife is more dynamic, though. Definitely more caffeine!

Top Bottom