What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

A couple of good teas of the day, both with 4g gaiwan sessions...

The first is the 2010 BYH Wangongzhai. This was an interesting tea in the sense that the taste is very purple and un-shengy.

The aroma consistently is fairly fleshy floral and almost fruity. However, early on, there are more savory notes of grain and a bit of incense, and as the session goes on, it subtly moves to a more punchy fleshy floral and honey note. The taste basically follows the aroma with a bit more of a savory element and some slight tartness. In the late brews, it's almost all a sharp fleshy floral taste with an active sour finish (pleasant) with no grains or vegetalness. Early brews had an unusual slight bitterness that reminded me of the bitterness in the Diangu. The viscosity tended to be good, with a specific smooth texture. Astringency pops up in a cool soup for a few brews mid-session, but by the late session, it's a very nice, smooth, juicy body. Aftertaste only really happened during the middle of the session as the tea is pushed a bit more aggressively. Tends to be sort of a lingering aftertaste/yun sort of game, generally floral. Mostly adds a bit of subtlety to what is a non-complex top taste. Early to mid session the qi is medium to strong and hits the head. Durability is good. The tea last longer than I really had interest in--a basic taste and body continues. Not really qi, or any sort of sweetness/complexity.

This was a nice tea. I wouldn't be especially interested in buying this sort of thing myself, because I do have good purple tasting tea, like the '07 XZH Dinjin Nuer. I also found myself comparing to the '10 Fall YS Xikong. That one had a bit more complex flavor and stiffer viscosity. On the other hand, not as full flavor, and strongly bitter. Probably not as reliable a tea as this tea is. I also remembered the 2010 XZH Risk One's Life sample I got way back in late 2011 or 2012. That one was also very purple, sort of grape bubblegum, but it was a more complex tea with a wood layer that this only has a hint of. Not sure how well this BYH Wangong will age, though.

The second tea of the day was the 2009 XZH Gold Taiji. This was a Hekai area tea. I went in expecting something similar to the Black Wrapper. It's actually more similar to the 2006 XZH Guangbien Bulang, but much more refined and agreeable flavored.

The subtle and light aroma tended to have a sweet cream element early on, with varying notes of fruit, forest florals, dry florals. The cream dies out in favor of forest/tobacco florals before fading to a very light tobacco. The main top taste tended to be variations of tobacco, and early-mid session, with lots of nice subtle sweet flavors. Honey, of course, but cream, cream soda, port, some light florals all enhanced the basic sweet tobacco (almost chicory) character. These mainly showed up as aftertastes in the mouth, sort of yiwu-huigany. Viscosity is good, generally smooth-ish. It did have very early trouble with light unpleasant astringency in the throat. The qi was strong and of great quality while it lasted--made me want to go all Salvador Dali in my chair. Very appealing combination of strength and gentleness. Durability wasn't great, though. In real terms, the durability is good, but practically, what happens is that the tea simplifies into a tobacco note without all of the pleasant notes previously present. This made me wonder if it's that storage muting thing that's happening here. The clear integrity of the YQH tea flavors yesterday is an interesting contrast.

While I think this was really rather good, I'm a touch hesitant to be excited about it, and wondered about a comparison with my Pasha from the same year. Got to thinking about how it was likely to age better, and contrasted that against a previous statement of mine where I said that "these YQH teas are about ten years old. If the chawangshu '06 tea is tastier than the Qizhong, it's probably going to stay that way ten or twenty more years down the road." I justified this situation as different, in that the comparative richer character of the Pasha is more clearly coherent and likely to work together as time ages it, compared to the Qizhong. Eeeehh, random thinking. Not to get too excited about this gold dayi, but if one should show up at a reasonable price, probably should snatch it.

Pillared in between Shah8's reviews of mostly unavailable/out of most's price range teas, where Shah8 learns the difference between highly acclaimed Yiwu towns, I will continue posting about Yunnan Sourcing house production daily drinkers (Shah8, great to see reviews of those teas).

So I upped the ante here, 8 grams, boiling, pushing steeps. I think they de-jetlagged a bit and the stronger hand helps alot and I find these decent teas, moreso than my last go at the repeats you see below. These are all Mengku county within Lincang. The only one I would buy is the Nahan, I can't think of another tea I've had where the cost per gram to qi ratio is this high. I think trying these single village teas are an interesting, but ultimately pales in comparison, to their blended brethren. Nothing here, even the more expensive teas, beats Heart of The City and most don't beat (in terms of personal enjoyment) the 2015 Pin. The white2tea tea's are rich and more dynamic. I got general notes of delicious rosé wine (my head imagines this as a combo of lime flavor and the stoney minerality easily found in these teas), cooked greens and high,white sugar sweetness, but none do it in a complete package like the HoTC and Pin.

I've listed the teas cheapest to most expensive. My favorite, the Nahan, is a little over 98 dollars for 400 grams.

2016 Mengku Huang Shan - I liked this one, its rich, good viscosity and has a high airy sweetness. Wet leaves really smell like cotton candy. These two factors remind me of a good Yunnan white. After thinking that I seem to even taste some cinnamon. Lemon aftertaste, good astringency, and a decent infuser for the price. I feel like this one could be good mug steeped or thermosed, because it is so rich. I think I like it more than the Bangdongs and would be another good buying candidate if you are shopping in the price range.

2016 Xiao Hu Sai - The worst one. High sourness that isn't pleasant leading to lots of astringency, no reward. Insipid flavors, what there are of them for only the first couple steeps.

2016 Bangdong - This is quite thick, inactive. I think inactivity, but high viscosity or thickness, are a consistent Mengku/Lincang feature. There is good puerh burn and I don't really pick up on lactic funk/nor overripe fruits that I did in the mug. It tastes like extra sugary peach jam leading to dry florals. Burnt sugars, low flavor pretty empty middle register. I finished my note with, "fun good tea." I think the other Bangdong's suffer from awkward age phases (besides the '10's). This however highlights starkly why the HoTC is better: HoTC lasts longer, stays exciting longer, has a middle and more qi (you got to pay attention to it in the HoTC to find it, but with this its not there at all really).

2015 Bangdong - Mangoey all around. Yogurty texture and feel. Very green aftertaste and is cooling. I taste zucchini and flowers. Its highly astringent and not much aftertaste. Gets really creamy later. I do like the cooling here.

2016 Nahan - Softly floral as it opens and lots of ripe fruit aftertaste. Best aftertaste of these house productions before you jump to the next price range. This tastes like melon sherbert that you added alot of lime too. Beany finish I wrote after being seduced by the energy so I'm not sure what I meant actually. It is very fun and stonerish, and gets strong around steeps 3 or 4 and peaks out at 6. I feel relaxed and pleasant while also energized. Not much physical presence though, 95% in the head.

2014 Bangdong - Reminds me of barley tea for the first two steeps. Sweet and smooth. There is a storng hoppy bitterness and its generally lower on the astringency scale, relative to the others listed here. A little oil on the lips at first. Gets rough mid steep no staying powering but lots of drying and general unpleasantness. I think I was to harsh on the Bangdongs before but I will say I don't know if this cheap of a Lincang is worth a daily drinker. They are quite astringent. I notice my breath is worse all day because of astringent teas (makes sense bad bacteria multiplies quicker in a dry place) and also stomach feelings make these not my idea of a daily drinker. Rather price up for the Nahan or W2T Megnkus and opt for another area/general blend to be drunk more frequently. The Wuliang H and even Chawangshop's Menghais have been doing the job for me since this Spring.

2016 Bai Wai - I liked this one and its price points match its effects on the body. I can feel it hit my stomach and then my toes, going back up through and over my head. Unlike the Nuo Wu this is not an elegant/EoT puerh style. It has a lot of astringency, melon and lemon, both in flavor and a light acidity that keeps it exciting. First steeps are very gloopy. This feels juicy as opposed to yogurt in later steeps. There are nice floral (sophisticated) aftertaste. I also later wrote fruit aftertaste, which is interesting to get those notes later.

I do have half of all these samples left, as well as two aged teas from YS I am going to try, along with other untried and revisted aged puerh sometime in October. I will be buying the 2017 Lao Man'e from Pu-ersk. Meaning that next summer anyone who still reads here might see a revisit of at least some these, if I still feel like jotting notes down for the internet in a year.

Did shu all week for work

Best shu was the '09 XZH Xicontianxiang shu. Very strong qi, and great aftertastes. Extremely erratic flavors. Sanhetang sez Menghai area, while the original Houde description sez that it's fermented from the leftovers of all the productions. I'd believe the latter a bit more. Does consistently have a strongly floral edge that's somewhat to the point of being soapy. Also tended to be weirdly astringent, similar to the '07 CYH shu.

I also tried out the the Cream shu from White2tea. Nothing too remarkable, a bit of qi.

'09 Dayi Ziyun was really really good for a factoy shu, and was only a bit less of a performer than the Anxiang. Has a notable fruitines.

'09 Dayi Dragon Pole was good, but not too remarkable.

'07 CYH shu, this tea: Cooked Plum Puer 2007 | J-TEA International . Has the second strongest actual flavor after the Xishangjiaxi, but the flavors weren't all that coordinated, has a bit of astringency, and not that great overall experience, same as it has always been--thermos didn't change any impressions.

Okay, two four gram sessions...

Today, I knocked off a bucket-list sheng--the '99 Menghai Tea Factory Big Green Tree, Black Stamp. Overall, I think that this particular sample got some of the muting found in the TW XZH, and more broadly speaking, there isn't a real qualitative difference between the BGT and the other good teas of that time (I'm thinking Tai Lian, YYX, Heshuihai Jingmais, etc, not stuff like Green Sun, which is a similar tea that's a clear step down). I can easily imagine how the Yuanyexiang beat this tea way back when, and secured some fame. As such, the prices for this tea is extreme, for the value. It's still pretty good tea.

Now for the actual session note... From the first you can clearly appreciate why many Chinese value this tea...there is a degree of incense character, which can be found in the aroma to around the fifth brew before the aroma in general starts fading. It's not too strongly incense-like, and is generally balanced by Nannuo carrot and a sort of juicy fruit note earlier and more Menghai honey later. At it's best, it was a rather sophisticated aroma. The taste followed the aroma, except a bit more Nannuo and less incense. Can have a strong juicy fruit note there as well. (Juicy fruit is a fruit note that kind of POPs out, and something you generally found in oversugared kids fruit drinks) After the third brew, the taste becomes lighter and emptier. It can be more complex, but the lightness required a focused attention. As the session grows longer in brew times in the deep session/back end, the taste becomes more of a Nannuo with some aromatic-soil/retired smoke notes. Some sweet medicinal notes also shows up, which was nice. I drank very long brews rather quickly because there was little to look for beyond broad strokes of flavor. Decently durable that way. Viscosity was rather lower than expected, especially given the previous experience with the BGT-Red Stamp. Mostly medium viscosity through most of the session, and bulking up nicely in the late session. The bigger problem is that the tea is relatively astringent, like that '98 Red Stamp Red Ribbon from TeaUrchin that I had at the tea party. It's 18 years old, and I don't buy that good teas should be as astringent as this tea (and I don't buy the long term aging aspect) is at this sort of age level. I've had too many great teas that wasn't this astringent (which was noted ten years ago in Puerh Teapot magazing competitions). On the other hand, the astringency is at least reasonably productive in generating lasting mouthcoat aftertaste, and ends at around the eighth or so brew, such that the rest of the session is smooth, thick, going. There was a bit of cooling. The qi is pretty decent, moderate, sort of aged qi-feeling, but relatively focused on the head and flowing down to the shoulders. The qi doesn't keep going through the late session, though.

The second tea of the day, I enjoyed more: The 2007 XZH Yuanshilin (the Manlin, not the Hekai). I drank this tea with a focus on comparing with the BYH '05 Manzhuan. I wound up having a hard time deciding, because strength and weaknesses were different. Originally, I though the BYH was clearly better, but...

The aroma was actually somewhat special with this tea--It had a sort of sweetly floral character with various other tones (mostly honey), but its consistent character is rather similar to carnations. Generally pretty light and one has to carefully sniff. The taste is predominantly a sort of slight dark vegetal, honey. It doesn't dramatically change much from that axis, but can be stronger or weaker unpredictably. The viscosity is about medium, a bit more than that, but it only expresses Manzhuan syrup texture lightly. It was smooth with a light and very productive astringency. The aftertaste is mostly this pungent yun leading to mouthcoat. So it typically starts at the top of the throat after the swallow and moves to the rest of the mouth. There was a bit of yiwu-style huigans that's more obvious when helping out a thinner tasting soup. So long as I brewed long enough in the late brews, the tea consistently generated some subtle character from the resulting bitterness to make the tea interesting, far later than I expected, and I wound up having a longer back end of the session than expected. The qi was really great. Moderate, but very gentle and of high quality. Certainly better than the BGT. It also continued deep into the session, too.

The BYH wins on strength of taste, a stronger yun that had nice incense notes, and better mouthfeel. The XZH wins on better aroma, maybe a more appealing taste, and better qi. Also somewhat more durable, maybe.

Wound up nothing too complex today...

First tea was a XZH tea ball that was originally sent with my Hongyin, but only sent now. It turned out to be some sort of Nannuo made to be especially palatable and floral. Thicker soup, and later brews had a yiwu-style huigan with the sweetness. W2T's Brother/Sister is better, but more bitter/astringent/cranky.

The second tea was the 2004 Hengrunfeng "Yiwu" sold from a HK tea shop Dragon Tea House. It was pretty evident early that this wasn't a Yiwu, but some sort of Mengku similar to teas made by Lincang Gusha factory and reviewed by Hobbes, particularly similar to The Half-Dipper: 2005 Lincang "Gushu Chawang" .

It's pretty good, if not that dynamic. The first brew had a stunning sweet marshmallow aroma, then becomes ever more blended with chinese date before fading. The taste sort of follows the aroma, but there is a coffee/chicory finish that's typical of aged lincangs that have darkened in flavor. Also a bit of wood. However, as the tea goes forward into the session, the taste gets higher, sweeter, and less complex until it stabilizes at a level, where it's pretty static until I get tired of it. There was some penetrating, maybe a bit unpleasant bitterness around the third brew. The viscosity was thin in the wash brew, but quickly thickens up to a rather good thickness. Nothing too notable about texture, a little gloopy. The early brews had some mouthcoat, but especially a decent yun. Stops doing that quickly in the session. Qi is also pretty good early, and fades later as well. Fairly head focused. With those qualifications, durability seems to be pretty good, but I quit long before it was done, as it was boring. Very well worth having, but probably costs more than it is worth, given the discussion with the person who originally got all of the Hengrunfeng teas.

Thermosed

Dan Qing Dayi '13 shu. Good enough, not as good as the best, relatively milky?

Blend of '03 Bulang Jingpin, '07 XZH Kuzhushan, '07 XZH Jipin. Was excellent. Mostly kuzhushan.

'04 Changtai Old Chen Teapot Jinggu Yesheng. Good. This is a very good tea that is very affordable on taiwan auctions, was bought for around $70.

'04 Hengrungreng Yiwu. Not that great, but decent enough

can't remember the last tea.

Guys, seriously, most of you should get in on the Taiwan auctions thing if you just want good random tea to drink. It's possible to really get good stuff for not that much work (if you avoid overpriced mainland chinese brands). Someone bought one of those 2005 SouthEast Memorial cakes for a total of like $30. 300g of tea that is waaaaay better than $30.

Errata:
I found an old Sanhetang link that describes the 2011 Classic Yiwu as a blend of Daqishu, Luoshuidong, and Gaoshanzhai. So no Mansong or Bohetang or any other zebras in this stuff. Also apparently a low-for-XZH run of 600 cakes.

Today's tea was a second try of the 2009 Hengrunfeng. About what the first session was like. Really does have a uniquely sweet herbal taste. This time I was thinking about the more sweeter light ales in taste rather than chamomile.

The second tea was 4g of an unknown Yiwu maocha. Rather strong qi. Very smooth soup. Thin-medium viscosity Aroma was generically floral. The taste was corrupted by plastic baggie notes, underneath the funk is some vegatalness and fruitiness. Slight and subtle aftertastes. One cup had some coconut notes in the finish/aftertaste. Both teas were pretty low on dynamacism, so a rather boring tea day. The qi of the second tea was nice, though.

Nothing too crazy today...

I brewed a Lao Man'e sample that was labeled as burnt. It was okay. I was expecting smoke and all that, but what it seems to be is more like w2t's Brother, but more. More floral than usual, less complexity or dynamcism between cup to cup. There was some bitterness but it wasn't that bad. Some yiwu-style sweetness. Decent qi. Got bored with this quickly. Also, I just wasn't up for young tea...

So with that in mind, I took out my cake of the 2005 Dayi Mengsong Peacock, and had a grand ole time. Very full and easy to enjoy aroma of deep plumminess and beta-carotene, which was followed in the taste. The taste also had a sort of heavy acidity where the bitterness was, like with the '02 Tai Lian (which may well be because of the current lasting high humidity), and it had a bit of retired smoke-wood-aromatic soil. While not too complex, especially with the Big Green Trees in mind, this was just sweet and easy to enjoy. The viscosity was medium (good in terms of factory tea, I guess), and it was less astringent than the BGT Black Stamp, but that astringency stayed throughout the session as opposed to giving out after eight brews for BGT. Astringency was also productive, especially later as it generated a more assertively fruity aged plummy mouthcoat. (yes, yes, Steven King will admonish me for all those -lys, moving on...). That, and the yiwu-huigan were pretty good, but the best aftertaste was pungent huigans in the throat and the prolific expression of florals in the mouth and throat. Very durable, and late brews are even sweeter, with almond notes appearing here and there. Qi was mild to moderate and of good quality, and it stayed happening deep into the session.

I haven't really been drinking interesting new stuff, and I was too tired to write last Sunday night.

Anyways...

Last Saturday was the 2006 Hengrunfeng Yiwu. I didn't find this a remarkable tea. Had hints of aromatic refinements like incense and aromatic soil. There was a bit of sweetness here and there...

So, the next day, I wanted one of my trusties, the '06 XZH Youle. This is somewhat of an erratic tea, and always has been, in two primary ways. The taste tends to oscillate between a certain fruitiness, whether there is extra spice, or a certain vegetalness. It's usually more of a rutabega-umami taste, and top tastes is the usual weakness of this tea. The other way is in how the qi feels. It can be very strong and physical, or a bit more normal. That day, the Youle was strongly towards the fruity end, in the early brews at least. I had gotten a deep apricot essence. It wasn't really that fresh-fruity, but more essency, like the dried fruit, with an emphasis of the skin's muskiness. One brew had both apricot and puerh almond notes, making for an apricot ice cream taste. So with top taste being a strong feature, this tea was close to as good as a puerh tea of its age could get. It was also remarkably thick viscosity. Some astringency, but very productive, with an aftertaste generation that leaves a vivid impression in the mouth. Strong qi, but it was more straightforward than my more notable Youle sessions. I much prefer this tea to teas like the Big Green Trees. This doesn't have as much nice wood or incense character, and not as much almond sweetness, of at least the red stamp, but it's more vivid, and far better durability of the active phase.

Also something to note. Don't buy small samples (or be gifted with them) and expect to really know anything about a tea other than the basics. Perhaps if I had a cake of the BGT, I might have found more reasons to enjoy the tea, and the difference in enjoyment would be narrowed, or perhaps I'd wind up like it more than the Youle. One thing I have found, is that almost everyone I've ever given a sample of this youle to, had tended to not appreciate the first try much, and like the second try much more... I think this is one of Sanhetang's best teas, and given that there are no Youle that I know of that's even close in quality, one of their more meaningful best teas. But it's not immediately obvious why.

This weekend is more prosaic. I had the 2010 XZH Bulang stuffed bamboo. It was okay, but it's basically your tobaccoey shengtai stuff that had been lightly roasted to a bit of sweetness. I didn't nearly have as much fun with the sample as the tea I had at the gathering where I got this sample. Much less elegant, less honey and elegant florals. Perhaps pots and brewing needed to be better. Did have some bamboo notes and consistently had a longan fruit note/tone. One brew had some nice butterscotch. Not much in the way of qi. Aftertaste is predominantly mouthcoat.

Today, I tried a cheap 2007 Yiwu from Sunsing. 2007年易武景龍青餅 Grill had given this some praise, so I wondered what was up. I found this to be a relatively agreeable tea that's somewhat hongcha. It's rather flat and undynamic, and durability is poor. Early brews is a malt-ish wood, alkaline, and transitions to more of a floral wood later. Not too much viscosity, but does improve later in the session. Later brews could have some tartness attacking the tongue-roots. Not much aftertaste, but it does have a bit of decent quality qi that generates a sense of wellbeing. I wouldn't buy this tea for daily drinking, not least because I'm no longer daily drinking puerh tea. Increasingly, I don't want to drink the cheap stuff with the precious tea drinking time and stomach tolerance I have. I would think, however, that this may well be a good work tea, and will do western brews and thermos well.

An abortive attempt at an early nineties maocha. Humid stored, not warehouse, had a nasty edge to things. Tasted like caramel, soil, wood. Dark taste.

Guys, seriously, most of you should get in on the Taiwan auctions thing if you just want good random tea to drink. It's possible to really get good stuff for not that much work (if you avoid overpriced mainland chinese brands). Someone bought one of those 2005 SouthEast Memorial cakes for a total of like $30. 300g of tea that is waaaaay better than $30.

This is intriguing - do you have any advice on where to get started? I found your link in the comments here:

The Secondary Pu’erh Market & a Few Pricing Factors | TeaDB

but it goes to (what seems to be) a closed facebook group.

Had some interesting thermoses...

Had the '09 XZH Jingmai as I realized I never thermosed it. It behaved more like Northern tea than Menghai, and this particular Jingmai is usually more Menghai than Jingmais usually are. It didn't have that much flavor or aroma. The flavor tended to have an artisinal clay base with some sweeter flavors, and the aroma tended to be a very nice and refined dry floral. The viscosity isn't as thick as what it feels like in gong-fu session, but the texture had a very nice astringency that isn't very drying, but gives a nice velvet texture and a bit of stiffness. Overall, I thought it would be closer in quality to the best of XZH, but it clearly falls short of, say, the '07 XZH Northern teas, Kuzhushan excepting. It still had nice qi.

I had the '02 Tai Lian, scraping crumbs off of torn nefei to find 2g off the remains of a cake. Maybe have one more thermos left. This wasn't as good as the first thermos of this tea, particularly in terms of aftertaste with lots of fruity yuns. Still some other nice aftertastes, and not so overwhelming like first time. Very smooth texture with still a bit of astringency to it. Goes down throat authoritatively. Good, strong, qi. Top taste/aroma is a bit awkwardly smoke and tobacco and vegetal, not as nicely floral, and certainly not as refined as the Jingmai--but there is more of it.

Earlier in the week was the '10 EoT Bangwei. Looking back, it has much more taste than the Jingmai, more sweet notes, too, but not quite that agreeable. Little activity in the throat, and not much in the way of excitement. Not much qi.

Tried a thermos of the '07 YQH Qizhong. Rather all over the place with various notes of wood, aromatic wood, plums, soil appearing here and there. Rather medicinal. Thick soup and syrupy texture, so I started thinking of Manzhuan teas. It had some character of a Lao Man'e, including a bitterness, and that previously mentioned aromatic wood. Most aftertaste was yiwu-huigan, or so I remember. Not too strong in the qi department.

Today, I had two teas.

The first tea was a proper gongfu session of the 2007 YQH Qizhong. Heated dry leaf smell and original soup aroma both suggest a rather firmly humid storage. First brew also featured some honey. Traces of the humidity stayed through the rest of the significant aromas, hiding in the background of soil, wood, and aromatic wood. Hints of plumminess in the aroma also occasionally showed up. The taste tended to be plumminess, wood, aromatic wood, and some generic darkness, in not always an especially coordinated way. This isn't a particularly sweet flavored tea, and has more of a focus on heavy and low, and maybe savory, but not in a vegetal way. The viscosity was good from the start, but the syrupy texture didn't come in until about the fifth brew. A bit of light drying astringency here and there. The aftertastes weren't hugely strong. Most often it was a bit of Yiwu-huigan adding a bit of sweetness in the mouth, but there was some yuns later on. The qi was mild to moderate.

I don't love this tea, but I paid just $90 for it, and it should be good as a drinker. As erratic as it has proven to be, I expect to have some really good sessions, especially as it acclimates. Many people have stated that they think this will be a great tea with twenty more years of time on it, but I don't feel that way. There doesn't seem to be that much in the way of unresolved intensity to be unwound by some length of time. Just your usual bit of astringency, a bit of heavy tartness that maybe hiding other flavors, the depth isn't so dark that what tastes down there aren't clearish.

I got a new box in before Labor Day, so I have extra time to examine! So I took out a new tea to me, which is the XZH '2010 Classic Hungshan, a Manlin Manzhuang tea.

This was really a rather great tea. I kept in mind the '02-'06 BYH Manzhuan, and in particular the '05, and the other XZH Manlin that I've had. This tea also starts off with heated dry leaves smelling of humidity, but not as much as the Qizhong. Soup aroma was fairly dynamic through the session. Starts off early with very sweet aromas like sugar, plumminess, cupcake, and maybe a touch of wood. Then barnyard steps in. However, only for a short while, and florals tended to be present the rest of the way, with varying ratios of aromatic wood, plumminess, pollen and sugar. Aroma becomes relatively generic at about the ninth or tenth brew. The taste is similarly dynamic. Earliest brews is intensely plummy and sweet, and sort of dark. Tartness as well. Barnyard creeps in and stays in the taste (balancing a diminished plumminess) in some role longer than in the aroma. When barnyard goes down later in the session, the taste reverts back to a stronger emphasis on plumminess, with a smaller balance of dark tobacco, like in the '05, '06 BYH Manzhuang. Wood also plays a big role, and the tea gradually becomes more of a savory tea as the taste fades. I took a bit of a break, and the back end is pretty tobacco, and long brews generates strong and bitter tobacco, say at around 12 or 13. Not a particularly sweet tea anymore, but suggestive of substance for aging. The thickness is clearly not as good as the best teas or like the '05 BYH. Good thickness but not super thick. Again, the tea takes a bit of time to become syrupy, but does so quicker than Qizhong. Astringency is light and productive early, but does become a bit more uncooperative late. Aftertastes tended to have three components; a lingering mouthcoat, a nearly pungent yun at the top of the throat, and ocassionally a bit of Yiwu huigan. Best stuff is the yun, as with the '05 BYH, but it's not uniquely incense like that tea, instead providing of more traditional palette of sweet flavors. The qi seems to be pretty good--don't trust my judgement right just yet, but it seems to be reasonably strong, and stronger than the BYH. However, it doesn't seem to be stronger and nicer than the '07 XZH Manlin. The durability seems to be good, maybe around fifteen brews if I really brewed it out, but the active phase is a bit short, and later brews aren't as easy to enjoy, with less sweetness right now.

I really enjoyed this tea. I paid roughly about $140 all told, from Facebook auctions, and view it as very worth it. Suggested Retail Price is about $750 or something like that. I'd say that the '05 BYH and the '07 XZH are better Manzhuang teas, but not by that much. The BYH has better thickness and unique aftertastes, while the XZH '07 had better qi, maybe more refined aroma. This tea has more aggreeable flavors and more qi than the BYH, and stronger flavors, better aftertaste game than the '07.

Today I tried the 2011 XZH Pro World Happiness, which is a top end tea for 2011, made from Zhibeng area trees in Gedeng. These teas are usually sold at the same price as the top Yiwu teas (except 2012 for some reason), so it nominally costs the same as the 2011 XZH Yiwu Classic that I got earlier. I got this for about $230 or so, all told.

So how was it? It's a lot less dramatic than the 2011 or 2014 XZH Hongyin, and a bit more like the Jinweihao '04 Gedeng sample I got from Theasophie. The heated dry leaf also showed some humidity. The dry leaf was also fairly stemmy, with at least three leave on a stem picking style. The soup aroma is fairly consistent, with a slightly piercing green camphor component. Not too strong an aroma. Earliest brews had some very slight floral element, then your traditional gendeng molasses shows up along with wood. More or less stays that way as long as the aroma lasts, with the molasses diminishing quickest. Aroma is very durable, though. The taste basically follows the aroma, with more of an emphasis on molasses, which provides the background flavor, with camphor wood being the high part of the flavor. There are only nuances, otherwise. Some heavy tartness early in the session where the bitterness usually is, and one brew had some actual bitterness, session overall is not bitter. This is not a fruity tea, or that much sweetness in the actual taste (certainly not compared to the Hungshan). There are some fruity nuances late in the session. The viscosity is about the same as the Hungshan that I had yesterday. Good thickness, but not uber thick. Not too much texture, a bit stiff, a little syrupy. The aftertastes weren't that present in the first three or so brews, but the session develops a consistent nice, very shallow pungent huigan in the throat which acts like an active yun. These tended to return flavor of camphor and wood, but also wine or fruit in the mix, so they were nice. Lingering mouthcoats were subtly present throughout the session. This tea delivered rather strong feeling down the throat, and also had a slightly unusual "sticky" cooling feeling, as if you rubbed on a cooling ointment. The qi is very strong and rather soporific. At some point, I was really planted in my chair. The durability is excellent. Active phase also doesn't just drop out, late brews can still be interesting when sipped with care, with feelings and qi--even past fifteen or so brews. Brewed probably twenty times or so, and I didn't exhaust the tea fully, just ran out of time. Strong qi even at brew twenty.

I thought this was worth the money, thought I definitely prefer the Classic Yiwu. This is very mellow and subtle (refined), and rather narrow in expression. Not a whole lot unlike the 2009 XZH Jingmai in being that narrow. I think this is more of an ager because I think this tea can get substantially sweeter with almond notes and woodier--there was still some good quality astringency to break down.

This tended to coat stuff with aroma, so I guess aroma cups would be handy...

Okay, last Sunday, I had the '06 YQH Qixiang. This was a rather pleasant session. Floral-wood aroma. Taste is notably higher than all that TW stored stuff I had been trying, at around mushroom-sweet nutmeat level. Medium viscosity with a stiff velvet texture. Relatively soft and expressive mouthcoat aftertaste. Qi is pretty good, medium. Durability was also good, and this notably recovered from early overbrewing because the pot got clogged. I also had a lot of feelings about how similar the enjoyment I got with this tea, compared to the enjoyment I get with the '05 Dayi Mengsong Peacock. Qixiang is more mushroom-nutmeat (and fuller taste) while Peacock is more Nannuo-ish beta carotene. Qixiang is more of a gentle mouthcoat, yun sort of aftertaste game, while Peacock had punguent floral huigans. Qixiang shows a bit of the issue with dry storage as it had a bit of hard hitting green, while the Mengsong has little super-young character. But they both are these mellow, narrow tasting, and sweet teas, with good qi...

Thermoses of the short week...
'11 XZH Gedeng was great. Again, rather subtle in aroma and taste within a full tasting deep molasses background. Very strong qi, some aftertaste in throat.

'10 XZH Hungshan was also really good. Reversed a bit compared to the session. Where the session starts off sweet and turns less so, the first pour was more deepness, a bit of floralness-wood and not particularly sweet (a slight touch like Qizhong), but second pour was sweet, with pronounced cherry note. Good qi, decent aftertastes, mostly in mouth.

'06 YQH Qixiang. Performed about expected.

And some An Xiang shu to cap off the week, not as good as earlier teas, as it should be.

Today I revisited two teas.

The first tea was finishing off most of the sample of EoT Yiwu Wild. I was a little bit disappointed. Anyways, the aroma starts off focused around wild honey and florals, shifts to more of a barnyard emphasis. Aroma isn't significant after about five or six brews. The taste starts of with vegetal-wild honey, shifts to higher honey notes, and like the aroma, then sort of hangs around a barnyard character. Secondary notes are floral early, and more fruity tones show up later. The tea become much less complex at around five or six and is a flatish sweet barnyard. Unlike my first try, there is a substantial, and proper, bitterness early on, and there is astringency as well, so this tea does have some concentration for aging to act on. The viscosity is pretty decent in the start, but it gradually dies down to a thinner sor of soup, and I didn't like that too much. However, when I did a couple of test brews for a back end, viscosity did go way up, but not too much taste recovery. Aftertaste tended to be floral mouth aroma early on, and a bit of mouthcoat. Nothing too crazy. Qi was moderate to strong, but dies down roughly when taste and aroma does too. This particular session had a very short active phase of about five or six brews, and I brewed maybe about twelve times in all. In general, here, the durability for this session wasn't really acceptable for a tea with this high a nominal price.

I wanted to think harder about whether I *really* wanted to buy more We Go High from White2Tea, so I moved to this tea... It has changed a lot since my initial tries. Much more fruity, and I'm more inclined to think it's all or mostly Northern tea. Aroma was very shifty, first starts out sort of menghai sheng/floralness, and then become more sweet floral in different ways. Fleshy floral, fruity, barnyard tones, perfume, spice, and it finally winds up mostly being like sage, which last pretty deep into the session. The taste starts off being relatively green shenginess. Then moves toward tobacco, and tobacco gradually gives way to honey and fruit. Then becomes more of a honey taste before some sage and a very generic dark taste at the end of the session. The viscosity is somewhat on the moderate side of thing, but the texture is very velvet and oil--a very little like 72 Hours. The aftertastes, though, is much less than what it was like when it was fresh. I got a bit of floral mouth aroma and a nice whiskey yun in separate brews, but that was it. The qi, on the flip side, is much stronger than what it was earlier. Pretty strong a long way into the session, and never entirely quits. Durability is pretty good, I did a bit more than fifteen, but the youth that yielded a slight but evident greenness dissuaded more brews when it stopped being sweet.

I'm going to push it off, because I hope to buy doubles of some of the teas I got at auction, first, but I sort of think it's worth buying, but I know this will age slowly, if it is indeed northern tea. Of course, there are plenty of better older teas, but still, I do like this tea very much and would like more.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
2005 Xiaguan Chang Er tuo. The years have been very kind to this one.

Nothing too fancy today, just the 2003 HK Henry Conscientious Prescription. It was good, but I didn't love it. The main reason is that it has a very short taste, and little aftertaste.

Aroma consistently has citrus zest and aromatic soil. Early on, there is some date and TCM notes, but the main companion to primary notes eventually is barnyard. The taste basically follows the aroma. Viscosity is pretty thick for factory tea, but no distinguishing texture. Teansy bit of mouthcoat, capable of some cooling action around mouth. It has a little bit of qi. I didn't fully test out the durability because I got more interested in football than in continuing the session.

Nothing too fancy today, just the 2003 HK Henry Conscientious Prescription. It was good, but I didn't love it. The main reason is that it has a very short taste, and little aftertaste.

Aroma consistently has citrus zest and aromatic soil. Early on, there is some date and TCM notes, but the main companion to primary notes eventually is barnyard. The taste basically follows the aroma. Viscosity is pretty thick for factory tea, but no distinguishing texture. Teansy bit of mouthcoat, capable of some cooling action around mouth. It has a little bit of qi. I didn't fully test out the durability because I got more interested in football than in continuing the session.

Strange - by coincidence I also drank this tea today. From your description, it sounds like we were drinking completely different teas though. I found the aftertaste very long & the mouthcoat quite substantial. For a Menghai Tea Factory cake, this is leaps and bounds above the standard productions.

I was sort of wondering about this too. My memories from the Houde sample seven years ago, the tea was a bit more substantial, though that could be youth and dry storage.

The one I tried was Malaysia stored. My expectations were low for a factory cake, but I was pleasantly impressed.

Top Bottom