What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

07 7532 to ze rescue

long story short lots of bad sessions from everything recently, testing new wares.

Loaded my Bao Lan Zhu Ni "Xi Shi" Yixing which I find makes sheng "louder" with a small amount of rounding, and really "cooks" the fart out of sheng :biggrin1:

ahhh yea nice really hit the spot :thumbup1: yea its a predictable tea but sometimes I love that I can count on it.

a nice peaceful morning session no sound other than me slurping the bejesus out of my tea :laugh:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Okay, I'll admit it. I've been turned. I used to be a Shou Guy, but I've been drinking more and more Sheng. I'm fact the ratio has reversed. It used to be 90% cooked, but now it's 90% raw.

Is there a support group or something for the ex-shou'ers?

Okay, I'll admit it. I've been turned. I used to be a Shou Guy, but I've been drinking more and more Sheng. I'm fact the ratio has reversed. It used to be 90% cooked, but now it's 90% raw.

Is there a support group or something for the ex-shou'ers?

Aside from the shu thread, I am not aware of any. I used to drink more shu than sheng but I find myself in the same situation you are in :biggrin:! I tend to have shu after heavy meals or during the winter. I think there is no going back :lol: ?

SoTD = mystery aged brick from YS. Can't remember the year or the name of this one (need to go dig through my old YS receipts - this one was bought during the ebay only days). I think it is 10 years but still exhibits plenty of youthful traits (maybe due to its dry storage in Kunming) and some camphor underneath. Had a pronounced minty scent from the dry leaves before being pried off the brick. Looking forward to revisiting this one.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I knew I should have had the title for my upcoming book on tea copywritten-

How to Cook the Fart Out of Sheng.

2006 Menghai V93. I think this came from the pass around box. My guess is that it was from _JP_ but I can't be arsed to go look it up.

Lots of leaf (8g in this little 110mL yixing) is providing a very nice session.

2010 EoT - Bulang in a gaiwan. A very yummy clean bitterness :biggrin:! Am enjoying this one. Price is a bit steep but is worth me thinks, if only just to have one cake of this.

What a coincidence...

I bought a new order from EoT, so I've been breaking up a couple of my bings I have already so I can just shake out and serve. I've since found out that Mansai is very tricky to pull apart, while Manmai and Bangwai are easy.

Been sampling them over the last two days...

Bangwai was great. It tasted pretty different from the last time again, so this tea really can change on you depending on brewing tactic.

Mansai was dissappointing, but not so bad.

Manmai has a bit less taste, but extremely thick and soft texture this time. Had a wonderful session with it.

Mixed shake (or sheng ends if you prefer) from various samples. I'm certain there was some ODB in it. There was also some '06 V93 as well as something that added some bean and grain.

Had Mansai again today. Was dissappointed. I took a big chunck from what was the middle of the bing, and it was "This is 2010" raw. Smokey and all that biz. I am definitely going to let the remainder of the bing and the one I just bought sit for a long while, so that most of the layers get more tender and tasty.

Hopefully the ready serve fragments I hacked out will only be a month or so before smoke is gone from all the interior fragments.

Manmai might be boring to some people, but it's pretty clearly the overall best one in my book. Bangwai is more interesting (and really variable). Mansai is pretty much in the same straights as the Bulang, gotta sit for a good long while.

Drinking the YS 2010 Purple Bud Needle Tea. It has a nice bitter after-taste that I may dub "The Purple Bite". The huigan is a bit different from the 2008 Purple Brick (need to try the 2010 at some point - I feel some TAD symptoms coming on :biggrin:!).

Where the brick is a more fruity, the needle tea is just bitter with a bit of grain to it. As the description from YS indicates, the needle tea is a bit amped up in the bitterness department so careful amount and brewing may be in order. I like it as a "wake me up" tea. I noticed that YS has pressed some of it into cakes. May have to pick one up to see how it taste/ages compared to its loose-leaf form currently sitting in a clay jar at home.

I am sorry I missed out on getting a cake of the 2009 offering of the Purple Bud (still have a sample of it somewhere at home though). I am enjoying the 2010 loose-leaf version of it. I know Chinese Cha Dao has some purple bud offerings. Anyone aware of other vendors offering purple bud puerh ?

PS: on a completely different note, anyone interested in participating in a joint order with Yunnan Colorful? This would be for US B&B'ers. Please PM me.

Last edited:
Got my shipment of Nada in. Packed my extra cakes away and went at the sample stash...

2001 Jin Chang Hao Yiwu. It was pretty good. Still pretty young, actually. Touch of tannins, good mouth action and huigan in the early rounds. Decent elegant wood taste in the later ones. Agree with Hobbes in that it's not really robust enough in flavor for my tastes. Also, it is weak in Qi. Lastly, it tastes like there is some good Jinggu added in there. Very hetero mix of Yiwu area(ish). While it's better than the MingYuanHao of the same year, the top end Yiwu in the mix of the MYH is definitely better than what's in the JCH, which is much more even in leaf quality (guessing, only got 7gms). JCH certainly tastes cleaner.

Second tea today was HenliChang Bulang. Can see what people really liked it. Opens up to wood and black-eyed-peas taste. Oily, but I wouldn't think of it as especially thick. Progresses to a wood and expensive dark chocolate taste. It was a pretty nice session, lasted longer than I was interested. I like it but at the price, given that I can and will drink young sheng, the money for something like this is better spent on a XZH LBZ or something like that. Just as long a session, not any more bitter, and more dynamic flavor with a little bit of that wood (which is more refined and elegant to boot). Or a Sheng Nong 2005 Bada. Or any number of great young teas. If I wanted something mellow, I could get the 2001 thick paper Mengku and that wet-stored 2004 Changtai from HouDe.

Last tea was 1993 7542. More like it, and an aged tea that I could imagine myself buying--if it weren't $350 from Generation-tea. Much more dyanmic flavor, more qi, huigan, aroma, thickness, pretty much everything. The leaves in my sample was humongous, actually. Thick and healthy. Very enjoyable session.

So I add this to the Shin Ya as particularly old teas that I truely enjoy. Am thinking I should have bought a box of the Shin Ya, because old tea is really expensive, and good-tasting-to-me old tea (which is not particularly generic) is pretty darn hard to aquire for someone in the west. There is alot of older tea that really doesn't thrill me. Not an accident that the 1993 bing is sold out at Nada.

The Orange in Orange was good too, when I had it earlier this year, but it's not as friendly as the 1993 7542. Powerful stuff for its age.

2010 Shi Kun Mu - Yun Pin

Wow...what an oddball. Very peculiar flavor profile. Fresh cut field of wildflowers and muscatel. This doesn't taste like a puerh. Not sure I'm diggin this one.

Top Bottom