What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

Beta...

Light, fruity, sweet. Astringency develops as the leaves are pushed. No bitterness. Very clean and crisp. I think I liked this one during the previous rounds of tasting. I still like it.

2007 XZH Spring "Xue Shan Chuen Lu" from Hou De. I'm not a fan of XZH. This tea can be very sour. It seems to be pretty tasty if handled with care. I don't see tremendous value here and have always felt that I overpaid for these XZH samples. Alas, I suspect this is not the last time I overpay for tea :lol:

Hey, why did you buy that one? I do like it very much and am presently guarding my credit card, but I'm under no illusions about its value. At it's best it's quite a nice Lincang, and I do like my lincangs, but yes, quite finicky about its brewing.

What other XZH have you enjoyed, just curious?

Edit: Given just how much samples cost for more cost efficent approaches, Hou De's has always been mostly a pretty good deal. I'd rather pay $7-8 for something nice. Samples at many other places are just highway robbery to me. $4-7 for $40 cakes.

Last edited:
Hey, why did you buy that one? I do like it very much and am presently guarding my credit card, but I'm under no illusions about its value. At it's best it's quite a nice Lincang, and I do like my lincangs, but yes, quite finicky about its brewing.

What other XZH have you enjoyed, just curious?

Edit: Given just how much samples cost for more cost efficent approaches, Hou De's has always been mostly a pretty good deal. I'd rather pay $7-8 for something nice. Samples at many other places are just highway robbery to me. $4-7 for $40 cakes.

Quite a while back I bought a tasting set of XZH samples. This one was included. I didn't really care for any of them that much and can't imagine why folks pay so much for them.

Yesterday I drank the 2007 Mengku Muyechun 002. I've been quite enjoying this one, especially relative to its pricetag (thanks Steve :thumbup:).

Today I finished my sample of Nada's 1997 Henlichang Bulang. Oh boy, words can't even describe how good this is.

Just got my starter set from Jas this morning :w00t:

After the power came back on (of course) I was able to get to my first trial of pu-erh. I grabbed a package at random, because lets face it, what do I know? :001_smile It was Menghai 7532. I followed the directions that are posted on the site, and set to it. So far, I am really liking this journey. I really like the "organic" flavours in this tea (grassy, earthy). My tastebuds are still in recovery from some bad mouthwash, so I am not likely getting the whole spectrum, but so far yummy.

Now, just need to get all the pretty things :tongue_sm

Gaiwan session of 2003 HK Henry special 7542 from Hou De. Not a particularly good session. Not the tea's fault. It's still tasty but nothing too special if the operator cannot pay enough attention.

Nada Bangwai.

This tea is simply tempermental brewing during the early stage. I *just* got a new Breville multi-temp tea maker, and using it has meant that I got more flavor in that thick taste. Deliciously avocadoy. I didn't have to brew to the ku to get flavor. I suspect that Bangwai needs truely boiling water, and at my altitude in Atlanta, the water wasn't getting hot enough and the tea needed those last few degrees. I will try again at some point and see if the tea maker really did make a difference.

I have trouble seeing this as a Jingmai tea. It's nutty like one, but the fruit and florals are more oily and umami based than any other, admittedly few, Jingmai I've had. Yeah, Nada's tea this year are a pretty good deal, especially for those on the isle, of course.

My tastebuds are still in recovery from some bad mouthwash, so I am not likely getting the whole spectrum, but so far yummy.

Now, just need to get all the pretty things :tongue_sm

Welcome to sheng pu :biggrin:! One thing that helps is to avoid eating anything ultra spicy or doing something that may burn your tastebuds temporarily (mouthwash, cough syrup, etc,...) before starting a session. Hobbes ran into the issue once :ihih: ...

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
:happybday:

:a5::a50::a5:

Congratulations on the 2nd anniversary of this thread.​

A lot of good sheng has made its way through here, as well as a lot of great information.
Two years and almost 5,000 posts is very impressive. :thumbup1:

Thank you to everyone who participated!
:ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:

50-50 Blend:
Early Nineties Loose Green Pu’er (from Awoono, obtained 2007)
and
1999 Fu Lu Shou Xi, Xia Guan Nan Zhao Brand Fang Cha (from Jing & Seb, obtained 2005).
Brewed in zisha teapot. A fortuitous potion. :)

Sheng of Yesterday...'06 XZH brick. Excellent as usual.

Sheng of today...'01 MYH Yiwu Zengshan. Not so great, mostly got plantation leaf, didn't have lingering aftertaste like usual. I then brewed up the messy leftovers from Nadacha stuff + ZhaiZiPo and got a great short-lived session.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A bit of '07 XG FT holy flame tuo. This stuff hasn't softened up at all.
Brutal, but tasty.

Sheng of yesterday. Mansai. It was very nice, but I really felt the lack of "chunky" at times. Not that I minded.

Sheng of today. XZH Pasha. No BBQ potato chip flavor today! The wulonged flavor was more like TKY than Bai Hao, so I got lilacs instead of yellow fruits on my butter and potatos today. A great deal of complexity from cup to cup, as it gradually becomes more Nannuo-like. Flavor gradually fades by 9th, but yun and lingering mouth flavor keeps going to 11-12th. This one pretty much goes with the HLH Ban'E as something that's heavily wulonged, but still has power and endurance, so....

2010 YS Gedeng -- interesting sweet, floral aftertaste that reminds me of taiwanese gaoshan wulong. it was pretty harsh on my throat, though. any thoughts on whether roughness tends to decrease with age?

Top Bottom