La Poire Francais pre-shave lather / Hot towel & Rinse

Jerry Stark 6/8 Kamisori
Nathan Harris "VADAR" / Silvertip
Henri et Victoria La Poire Francaise Shave Soap
Swiss Pitralon Aftershave Splash
Penhaligon's Bayolea EdT
proxy.php

Have a nice Wednesday Gentlemen

Excellent presentation, Dave. Lethal looking kamisori! Neat use of the cork.

1st SR shave since participating in OCtober.
Dubl duck
Commodore X3 best
Blue Samhain soap and AS
Alum block due to the weepers.
3 good passes, but roughed myself up a bit causing a patch of weepers trying to touch up a rough spot on the chin. Stop not as close and consistent a shave as with the SE razors the past few days, bu good overall, and nice to get back in the SR saddle.
View attachment 836037
Good shot!

SOTD Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Prep: Shower/Warm face towel

Soap: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements C.a.D
Razor: Gillette Fatboy F2
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
Talc: Clubman
Aftershave: Williams Aqua Velva Lociōn (Imported)

proxy.php
Excellent layout, Chris. Love the framing.

Thursday SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Joris Palladium Black\White Pin Stripe
Blade: Gillette Spoiler (D5)
Brush: Declaration Brushworks Washington 25mm
Bowl: Symmetrical Sheet Metal
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGLO
Pre-Shave Balm: TSD Iced SubZero
Shave Soap: Frosted Woodland Custom Blend
Aftershave: HTGAM Al-Fin
Spectacular treatment to an arresting presentation, Guy.

Storybook Soapworks - Coffee Spoons
Ever-Ready 100T | Elite Razor Manchurian
Star 1912 | Gem PTFE

proxy.php

I'm always willing to try out a soap that claims to have a singular coffee fragrance. There are plenty out there, but a few of them have coffee as a note accompanied by cream, sugar, spirits, or something else. Until now, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements' "Spring-Heeled Jack" and Van Yulay's "Espresso" were my picks for most accurate singular coffee fragrance. Van Yulay having the slight edge from the soap and PAA from the splash. While both of these do a nice job conveying coffee essence, there's always a slight creaminess that belies its authenticity. I'm a self-professed coffee snob. I make coffee at least three times per day using the French press method, freshly grinding, meticulously weighing both the coffee and water to achieve the perfect cup. I go through at least 2.5 lbs of beans per week. I've also spent years sorting through various roasters, and I have three that I use routinely. One of which is 3 miles away from my work, and they hand deliver. As a result, it's rare that I ever prepare a cup whose beans were roasted beyond 1 week prior. It should go without saying that I know what coffee smells like. I also understand that region and roast cause the fragrance to vary widely, but there is a common element. Storybook Soapworks has quite accurately reproduced the intoxicating fragrance of real, medium roasted, Brazilian coffee. I am in love with this soap!

On a scale of 1-10, the scent strength is 6-7 for both the soap and splash. The soap starts and finishes the same with an immediate coffee fragrance. The splash has a mini-development such that initially and for the first 5 minutes or so, it has an over-roasted (think Starbucks char-roast) bitter fragrance, but it quickly settles down to the lovely scent that the soap had. The longevity is fairly short such that I can no longer detect it 3 hours later. Granted, I'm drinking coffee as I type this, but this is my natural state.

I've addressed the performance of Storybook's soaps before, and after having used "Hook", "Shaken", and now "Coffee Spoons", I'm convinced the latter 2 have markedly increased slickness. It could simply be my familiarity with the base contributing to my dialing it into its optimal state, so I can't confirm the base has changed. This is a good argument for differentiating between "reviews" and "first impressions". Regardless, I'm quite impressed with the performance, and I find it to be competitive with my favorite artisanal soaps.
A delicious photo, Matt and an enlightening assessment of Coffee Spoons. I've yet to try the Storybook soaps but I think I will very soon.

SOTD: 12th November 2017.
B2+.JPG

Shaving recipe for today. (Remembrance sunday Shave)

Prep: Hot shower:/Wrights Cold Tar Soap Body Wash & Vosene Shampoo.

Pre:

warm wet flannel to my face.

Wilkinsons Fruits~ Coconut & Vanilla Body Butter.

Brush: Wilkinson Sword.

Face Lather.

Soap : Palmolive Shave Stick .

Blade: Gillette 7'o Clock sharpEdge . (2)

Razor: Manlystuff ~ The Knight MN-202.

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Alum Block./Boots ~ Freshwood Aftershave/ Boots ~ Freshwood Aftershave Balm.

Greetings,

A nice relaxing 3 pass + pick ups sunday morning shave with no errors to report.

The sharp smoothness of the 7'o Clock SharpEdge blade was another great match for the non aggressive knight razor, which made this remembrance Sunday shave very pleasurable.

Finishing the shave off with the Boots Freshwood Aftershave & Balm duo.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling very devine.

Enjoy this special sunday,ladies & gentlemen in remembrance to our fallen courageous heroes of the horrific wars past & present.

proxy.php

Mühle 33 K 257 Silvertip Fibre©
PannaCrema San Francesco
GEM MΜOC & GEM - Stainless Steel (5)
TOBS - Sandalwood Aftershave lotion
TOBS - Luxury Sandalwood Cologne

---
Πάντοτε Χαίρετε! Always rejoice!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom