What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" July 13th - July 19th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date:- 15 July 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Taum Sauk (Limited Edition)
Razor/Blade:- EJ 3one6 / Gillette Nacet #9
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

SOTD 15 July 2020

Prep: Cold water
Brush: Black Anvil Shaving Planxty
Razor : Koraat (24kt gold plated)
Soap: Ariana&Evans Asian Plum
After-shave: Noble Otter Hamani

Still need to acquire the Asian Plum Aftershave. Awesome shave and awesome scent and soap.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Wed shave puzzle.jpg

Wednesday’s Shave

I went with Grooming Dept. Mallard RC soap today. I will be alternating this soap with others over the next few days. Today I used my Rudy Vey brush that has a Muhle Silvertip Fibre knot. Since this is Wednesday the razor is a Wolfman SS SB WR2 1.05 mm razor loaded with a Personna Medical Prep blade. Today’s aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH and Neutrogena Triple Protect. The fragrance was Yves Saint Laurent.

54FDF299-DCCD-4F82-A095-DD6646F03DDF.jpeg

SOTD WEDNESDAY, JULY 15, 2020

What a wonderful Wednesday shave! The new-to-me Genco 35 continues to perform beautifully without daily stropping! I really like this razor! A very experienced straight shaver/mentor on one of the larger straight razor forums informed me that there was no need to strop the Genco daily. He claimed to have gone over 20 shaves between strops on his, my kind of guy! Just swapped my virtually unused Merkur 34 for a brand new Monsieur Charles Barber’s Razor which uses injector blades. After reading a series of horror stories on half DE shavettes, I’ve decided to steer clear. I like variety (comes from 50 yrs with a Schick Krona). The Feather and Monsieur Charles should be fine. Looked at the IBC shavette, but there is a major design flaw with AC blades. Since my favorite blades are AC and injectors, my Feather SS and Monsieur Charles should meet my needs nicely.

I've said elsewhere that my favorite shaving Gillettes are the New Standard, Deluxe and LC. I enjoy shaving with Old Types, of which I own two, in addition to this early production (1920) Big Fellow with the Old Type head design. Later production near the end of the 20s featured a New Standard head design. While the Old Type is a better than average shaver, this king size version is a truly spectacular shaver and definitely holds it own with the Gillette New models. I imagine a late production Big Fellow with the New flat bottom design would be an even better shaver, if that’s possible. The late model Big Fellow is the only safety razor I would snap up if one in good condition came my way. The only safety razor currently on order is the Tradere. I’ve cancelled my Wolfman order. I’ve more than enough razor variety to keep the shave interest up at this point.

I’ve learned both here, elsewhere and personally that a thinner, more slippery lather is best for a straight razor shave. The beauty of Pannacrema Nuavia Blu is its incredible slickness. So for the mug shave I used a bit more water and achieved a great slick platform. In fact I initially worried that the stropping advice wasn’t so good since it felt for the first time like the Genco was just scooping the lather off my face until I noticed the copious amount of shorn whiskers in the lather. Still struggling with the ATG pass on my neck, but everything above the jaw was a clean VBBS with a DFS+ below the jaw. The Big Fellow brought the roughness around the Adam’s Apple to the VBBS level in short order, and did the same for the dome where that great Jayaruh brush generated the kind of thick, yogurty lather I prefer for my safety razor shaves. The post shave skin feel is great with this soap. I feel refreshed, cool, clean and oh so velveteen!

RAZOR: Genco 35 (Mug), Gillette Big Fellow (Dome)
BLADE: Kai (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378
SOAP: Pannacrema Nuavia Blu w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash.

Muhle R96 Rocca razor
Muhle blade (1)
PAA Scentsless pre-shave
Stirling Satsuma soap
Fine silver tip badger brush
Doug Smith Pottery shave mug
Osma alum block
Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm
Fine Italian Citrus aftershave

I tried a Bic blade on Monday as part of my latest round of testing, and it was so bad I couldn't do another shave with it. So it was time to try this razor for the first time, and it was a very smooth result. I've heard some say the razor is fairly aggressive, but I found it comfortable and smooth which may be partially attributable to the lighter weight. Very nice shave!
IMG_20200715_064233691.jpg

Wed 15 SOTD
Cream TOBS
Bowl Ceramic
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice 2 Band Badger
Razor RR Game Changer.84 SB w BarberPole
Blade Tatra Platinum 2nd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Excellent lather!! Good strong scent, thick creamy and slick. Not my fav scent initially but now a convert!
Today's razor pairing with this blade is perfect! One of my best shave! Buttery smooth, very comfortable and sharp. Somehow with this pairing...didn't feel the blade at all. 3 multiple pass + buffing results in a super close shave. Didn't feel I could cut myself and cause any weepers type of shave....that smooth! Icy water rinse followed by Thayers left a cooling sensation then Hyaluronic softens and Reuzel soothed nicely. All gears aligned perfectly for a rare 10/10!

Side note: Somehow the GC.84 SB shave better with the BarberPole handle. I am glad for the Czech Blade PIF and tried this blade. Of course had 100 delivered promptly!
20200714_232708.jpg

20200715_115704.jpg

Wednesday, 7/15:

20200715_085820.jpg

Razor - Merkur 15C
Blade - Astra SP
Cream - Cremo original
A/S - OneBlade balm

Not a terribly interesting shave today, but a lovely and enjoyable one nonetheless. The Astra is on its 8th use and shows no signs of slowing, at least not in mild razors. This terrific little razor got me really close and clean. Nice one!

Decided to shake things up a little this morning. Reached for Musgo Real Spiced Citrus shave cream which I haven’t used in awhile. A light but very nice spiced citrus scent. Scent notes from Musgo describe it as an oriental fougere with citrus, warm spices and incense. Smells very nice and as a shaving cream Musgo Real has always been good. I have five of their scents. Not cheap but if you can find it on sale it’s worth a try.

Karve CB with the C SB plate was on deck today loaded with a GSB. I love the combo and it is comfortable to use.

Lovely two pass DFS and I topped off with Stirling Satsuma AS which is also a spiced citrus accord and some ADP Essenza. Happy hump day! Stay safe!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Simpson 59
Lather: Musgo Real Spiced Citrus
Aftershave: Stirling Satsuma
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Anoru Ceramic Bowl
Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza
B3BB6514-1C32-413C-A78C-8CB4898D7DC0.jpeg

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: DE89 head on WCS handle
Blade: Personna Red
Soap: Cella extra extra bio
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Bowl: Timeless blue
A/S: Aqua Velva
First time using a Personna red since I started wet shaving again after a few years. What a smooth shave! Have a great day y’all!

4F1BF6F9-964D-41D9-8EFA-0C56F686B6EA.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom