What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" February 17th - February 23rd, 2020

2020-02-18

Ikea Bowl ¤ Vie-Long American Style ¤ FaTip Classic + Blue Bird
Floris JF Soap ¤ Floris JF Aftershave ¤ Floris JF EDT

proxy.php

View attachment 1064343View attachment 1064344

SOTD 02/19/20 Tuesday

All right, I’m sold on this razor! For whatever reason, I originally bought a lemon, but the good news is that Matt Pisarcik is a standup guy who honors his lifetime guarantee! I thought I would share the diagnostic photo that led Matt to request that I return the razor to Razor Emporium. As soon as he saw it, he asked that I send it back to him on his dime. He sent me a return label; informed me of the top cap issue, replaced it and returned the razor to me, a very satisfied customer. If you look at the side view of the attached before photo you can clearly see the faulty cap fitting. The blade is well clamped on the right and left ‘free floating on the left’.

As a result Matt replaced the top cap and adjusted the baseplate, and my Rex now seats the blade properly, and shaves as it should! You can imagine my confusion as I tried to use my original defective Rex over a series of months and kept doing damage to myself. I've been wet shaving with a safety razor for a very long time (50+yrs), and was unable to shave effectively with it.

After the repair I now understand why people love this razor, because I do now as well. My shave today was the polar opposite of my former experiences with this shaving tool. I did my head at 2 and my face at 4 today. Yesterday, I described myself as approaching the shave with “trepidation”. Today I was much more confident, and decided to just dive in. The result was a bloodless, leisurely, three pass BBS that I thoroughly enjoyed! There’s really not much more to say. I’m joining the mass of Rex fans. This is an excellent razor that shaves every bit as well as any of my favorites! I feel clean, cool, very smooooth, and refreshed!

RAZOR: Rex Ambassador
BLADE: Voskhod
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Cube Preshave Soap before each pass
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with the brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Cremo Cooling AS Balm
I am very happy that this worked out for you. The Ambassador is one of my most favored razors and I was kind of scratching my head over your earlier experience with it.

I am very happy that this worked out for you. The Ambassador is one of my most favored razors and I was kind of scratching my head over your earlier experience with it.
I always wondered why everyone was raving about the razor when it was causing me nothing but pain. I finally figured out that with 50+ yrs of DE shaving experience, that it couldn’t be my technique. The repair places me firmly in the fanboy camp.

Hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend if you got one. Today’s razor of choice was the Merkur Mergress which is a hot rodded Progress. This razor is just about the prefect adjustable razor. Voskhod on its second use and dialled to 3 this is an easy shave.

TFS Corte Sabauda was the choose today with the matching AS. What a scent! They really do make excellent soaps with great performance and strong and lively scents.

Beautiful two pass shave and smooth as can be. Topped off with a spritz of Guerlain Habit Rouge which is just about as close a match as can be found and ready for the work day.

Enjoy your shaves and safe travels.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Merkur Mergress 500
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1
Lather: Tcheon Fung Sing Corte Sabauda
Aftershave: Tcheon Fung Sing - Corte Sabauda
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Guerlain Habit Rouge
41FC0B2C-A8CB-41B5-97D9-B7B754BAE85C.jpeg

SOTD, Sunday, February 16th, 2020
Tuesday, February 18th, 2020

Shower + Ach Brito Glyce face lather and rinse
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes shave cream
T&H branded badger brush
Ikon asymmetrical safety razor + Gillette Nacet blade (Sunday)
Kai folding shavette + Feather Softguard blade (Tuesday)
Cool washcloth rinse
T&H lime aftershave

proxy.php

I always wondered why everyone was raving about the razor when it was causing me nothing but pain. I finally figured out that with 50+ yrs of DE shaving experience, that it couldn’t be my technique. The repair places me firmly in the fanboy camp.

It's such a great razor. I'm a recent convert as well. Such a smooth, well built, solid tool.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
TUESDAY, 18 February 2020

Pre: Dove bar (soap, not ice cream)
Lather: Stirling Executive Man
Brush: Yaqi Barbershop Synth
Bowl: Turkish copper
Razor: Oristo w/Black DLC
Blade: Derby Premier (7)
Splash: Homebrew (WH/Clubman Lime/glycerin/jojoba)
Frag: Caron Pour Homme

Hot shower,, face scrub, Fresh Sugar Face Polish( real strawberry seeds)

Brush, Shave Revolution, sadly they closed was awesome wet shave products

Soap: DG Trismegistus, and splash, ( added all the menthol)

Razor, Karve C plate

Blade: Nacet ( 0)

L’Occitane crime Divine

Guess I can go to bed now

Shave score 10

proxy.php

Wednesday SOTD

[IMG]

Razor: British Ever-Ready 1912
Blade: Gem PTFE SS (D3)
Brush: Semogue 2016 LE 2 Band
Bowl: Turkish Porcelain Bowl 4 ¾”
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Chamomile & Lemon
Shave Soap: Wickham 1912 LE2019 Apricus
Balm: Wickham 1912 LE2019 Apricus
Aftershave: APR Coolabah LE

Williams Wednesday Shave;
  • Above The Tie Slant (OC and SB)
  • Gillette Rubie (3)
  • Modern Williams Shave Soap
  • Marvy Mug
  • VdH Bowl
  • Fine Lather Bowl
  • Omega 48 Pro
  • Gentleman Jon's Alum Block
  • Williams Aqua Velva Ice Blue (US)
  • Williams Aqua Velva 5 in 1 ASB (US)
  • Homemade Hair Tonic
  • Dapper Dan Heavy Hold Pomade
  • Every Man Jack Deo
  • Clubman Whiskey Woods Body Powder
This was my first go with the ATT Slant. I am not going to lie, I could have stopped after the first pass for a DFS. After the second pass it was just shy of BBS. The third pass was BBS without effort. I'm very impressed with this razor.
[IMG]

[IMG]

Top Bottom