What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" August 17th - August 23rd, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: Wholly Kaw Rebelle and M&F Blonde Badger 3XL (30mm)

Soap: Wholly Kaw Rebelle (Siero)
Razor: Timeless 95 SB (the Queen of my Den)
Brush: M&F 3XL Blonde Badger (30mm)
Blade: Gillette Nacet

Today is my last use of the M&F 3XL Blonde Badger, before sending it out this weekend. Overall Impressions are super positive (as expected from M&F), really love the handle (same as my 2XL but bit larger), flow-through, softness, everything is there.

Site Note: LOVING these Gillette Nacet blades, I don't know why I was neglecting to try them (i bought a pack 2 years ago and never used them til this week due to hearing many positive stuff about them).

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
SOTD August 20, 2020

Razor: FaTip Piccolo
Blade: Astra SS
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Razorock 400, 24mm synthetic

I'm finding this wonderful FaTip razor to be an excellent daily driver.

20200820_165637_kindlephoto-4127502.jpg

One of these days I'll get a better phone/camera.

BD0F2FE1-FC7A-486C-A3A2-84F9BD619EC1.jpeg

Pre: Shower with Stirling Black Cherry
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Razor: Parker Semi-slant
Blade: Astra SP (#4 and binned)
Soap: K Shave Worx
Post: Alum followed by Gillette Cool Wave aftershave and went back for some Nivea balm for a bit of moisture

A breakthrough shave tonight! Finally got some lather dialed in to a really good state and I think it’s due to hand lathering, which allowed me to get a really good view of what the lather was doing and hold it up to the light to look for the glistening. What a difference good lather makes!!! In fact it was such a difference that the 4th shave on the Astra was better than the first.

2DDBD0FA-A825-481F-A03A-94AEDDA167BC.jpeg

Excellent shave tonight.
Fabulous in fact! I can’t believe that I ignored this razor for so long. It gives GREAT shaves with any decent blade set on a higher setting. Incredible! My face is BBS everywhere. I rarely get a BBS like this one.
I used the Astra again for it’s 10th shave and it’s still cutting nicely. I may get 5 or so more shaves from it hopefully. This is a good combination of gear I must say, And a very GREEN Proraso experience.

Last edited:
Friday SOTD - My very first shave with a Gillette Silver Blue - A BBS!

Yesterday after waiting for almost 3 months I got my pack of 50 Gillette Silver Blue blades arrived from US. Thanks to desertcart.in for getting the blades delivered under these testing times (albeit with a longer wait period). I had heard great things about Gillette Silver Blues and many here would agree with a claim - that these are the best blades when it comes to smoothness, sharpness and performances on multiple uses. Post today’s shave I can proudly say the GSBs topped the list of the smoothest yet sharp blade performances. The three pass shave was smooth as dream yet the sharpness was perfect to get 48 hour old whiskers away.

Pre Shave - Pink Woolf Oceanic Blue Pre Shave Oil
Brush - Pink Woolf boar hair brush
Shaving Soap - Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar Shaving Cream
Razor - Merkur 34C HD
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue on 1st use
Post Shave - Running cold water splash along with application of alum
After Shave - Axe Ultra Smooth Aftershave Balm

Today I tried face lathering again with the boar hair brush and the experience is not great. I felt scritches despite dipping the brush for 10 minutes in hot water. Second issue was the brush is proving to be a lather eater. I had to apply cream again on face during second and third passes. Not sure if this is a property of all boar hair brushes or this one is having a problem. Also at least 8-10 strands keep falling despite having used the brush for 6 times now post breaking in.

The poor lathering experience of the brush was compensated by the GSB that was damn smooth whilst being loaded on a Merkur 34C on all three passes.The only other blade this Smooth has been the Gillette Blacks made in India followed by the Wilkinson Swords again made in India. Astra SP will come at a close 4th followed by Parker Premium Platinum.

Had fantastic 3 passes and one touch up at chin area to achieve an ultra smooth BBS. The alum block hardly gave any feedback and the moisturising aftershave smoothened my skin while offering excellent barbershop 💈 fragrance.

Next shave is due on Sunday which will be with a new and my first TTO razor that arrived today!

Thank you 🙏🏽
DC1B1D3C-104C-4F30-8DE2-93113C951387.jpeg
AE3EE62F-AF74-4154-A07A-C94A1E453064.jpeg
D4706DAE-01C9-42A3-B236-728021D81CDD.jpeg

Last edited:
Date:- 21 August 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Maseto 'Avatar' Tuxedo Synth. 26/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Unconditional Surrender
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacet #14
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
5456AFF8-80D4-437D-8608-32B6F1E8B170.jpeg

1) Italy: Brush Omega 10777.
2) Turkey: Soap Arko Shave Stick pucked.
3) USA: Razor Gillette Y2 Black Beauty.
4) Russia: Blade Astra SP.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: L’ORÉAL Men Expert Mountain Water Aftershave Balm.
7) USA: Cologne Calvin Klein Euphoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom