What's new

Songs with a great intro

Papa was a Rolling Stone has either one of the best intros or one of the worst.

Interestingly, no one seems to know who played the incredible, indelible, supremely simple but wonderous bass-line that makes that intro.

If I had to nominate an official rock band for B&B it would be NRBQ. "Flat Foot Flewzy" has a wonderfully odd intro as described in this essay from Oxford American (with which I do not agree entirely):

For some twenty-five years I’ve maintained an obsession with four specific seconds in all the history of rock & roll. Four seconds of a single guitar ripping a hot lick, the opening salvo to a rock & roll song from 1969, a song I don’t particularly love (it’s not my typical go-to music), played by a band I almost never listen to (no disrespect intended). But these scant seconds thrill my ear, lift my spirit, and send me back to my own guitar with renewed enthusiasm, and they capture the singular virtuosity of Steve Ferguson—a great musician from Louisville you’ve likely never heard, which I consider truly unfortunate, because boy is he ever worth the hearing.

The song is “Flat Foot Flewzy” and the band is NRBQ and this was the lead single from their second album for Columbia Records, Boppin’ the Blues.

I didn’t go through all the previous posts so forgive me if this was already suggested, but Nirvana’s The Man Who Sold the World has that riff that just sucks you in.

I did not check to see if this was mentioned before but JR Robinson's incomparable drum intro to Steve Winwood's "Higher Love." Interesting back story that I do not even understand all of. Apparently, there are really two or multiple drums tracks going at the same time and Robinson is intentionally rushing the beat on one of them. Sounds simple in many ways, but apparently is not!

One I haven't seen on here with one of the longest guitar intros is Lou Reed's Rock N Roll Animal Sweet Jane:
and in keeping with live (but the studio intro is the same) my first ever in-concert band with their one and only hit:

Top Bottom