What's new

Somewhat more aggressive than a Merkur 34C?

So, had a great shave with a Merkur 34C and a GSB last night—I wanted a super easy shave after an irritating shave with a Lupo .95. Shave was great, not quite efficient enough. Think I've been heading the wrong direction in terms of aggression, previously though. I have an Envoy and a Lupo DC. Both are too aggressive. I think I'm discovering this as my technique gets better and I can no longer blame that for the irritation...

Have any suggestions for a razor that is somewhat more aggressive than the Merkur?

1. Three piece.
  2. Stainless or other metal (not a casting)
  3. $125 or less
I was thinking of a GC .68/.84? Or?

I believe GC 0.68-P mostly suits you. Gc .84 might be difficult to daily.

SM-N970F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

How about a Pearl Flexi? Turned down all the way, it's around the same as a 34c IMO. Turned up to about 2 it still shaves comfortable but a little more aggressive. Adjustables are great. You can dial exactly the shave you want. I think the Flexi is all brass so should last a long time.

So, had a great shave with a Merkur 34C and a GSB last night—I wanted a super easy shave after an irritating shave with a Lupo .95. Shave was great, not quite efficient enough. Think I've been heading the wrong direction in terms of aggression, previously though. I have an Envoy and a Lupo DC. Both are too aggressive. I think I'm discovering this as my technique gets better and I can no longer blame that for the irritation...

Have any suggestions for a razor that is somewhat more aggressive than the Merkur?

1. Three piece.
  2. Stainless or other metal (not a casting)
  3. $125 or less
I was thinking of a GC .68/.84? Or?

Dang, forgot some info. Shave every 3x days. Would like to get that down to every 2x. Thx!

Head over to BST (or if you're feeling braver, eBay will be cheaper) and find a Gillette New Short Comb more than efficient enough, excellent blade stiffness and very smooth - I can, and sometimes do, use this as a daily razor, yet on the rare occasions I leave it more than a couple of days I'll mow down just about anything with ease.

Gillette got it near enough perfect with the SC, and if you're patient they can be picked up for very little.

The GC 84-P is not something I'd personally use daily, but then I'm not sold on it fullstop, I'm in the minority in not really getting it, I just feel it's noticeably less comfortable than my GC68-OC for no increase in efficiency... And the New SC absolutely blows it out of the water on all fronts for me.

Sounds as though the GC .84 with safety bar would be ideal for you. It's a lovely razor - mighty efficient, smooth and with a reassuring amount of blade feel. It was a toss up for me between the .68 and .84 - so pleased I chose the latter.

Although a 2-piece like the 34C, the Merkur Progress is a very good razor and you can adjust it to your exact preference. I recently had the opportunity to try a Yates 921, and the M and H plates are very comfortable and efficient. One plate would be at your upper limit; both would put you about $35 above.

Muhle Rocca, Yates 921-M, EJ 3one6 will get you where you want too be. These are nice steps up from the 34C while offering great efficiency and comfort.

I have the Lupo 95 as well, but haven't gotten irritation from it. Now the 72 was a different story.

Muhle Rocca, Yates 921-M, EJ 3one6 will get you where you want too be. These are nice steps up from the 34C while offering great efficiency and comfort.

I have the Lupo 95 as well, but haven't gotten irritation from it. Now the 72 was a different story.
Really? The .72 irritated you more than the .95?

Really? The .72 irritated you more than the .95?

Sure did. I started with the 72, and while it shaved close, it irritated my skin for whatever reason. None of my other razors do this so not really sure what was going on. Saw some posts where folks had issues with the 72 and then tried the 95 and had better luck so I bought the 95 base. Turns out the 95 works much better with no irritation....super close, comfortable shaves. No idea of why, but the 95 works great.

Sure did. I started with the 72, and while it shaved close, it irritated my skin for whatever reason. None of my other razors do this so not really sure what was going on. Saw some posts where folks had issues with the 72 and then tried the 95 and had better luck so I bought the 95 base. Turns out the 95 works much better with no irritation....super close, comfortable shaves. No idea of why, but the 95 works great.
Was that the open comb .72, or safety bar?

Modern steel or other metal CNC milled
RR GC 84
Lupo 72 plate ?
Rr Mamba 70 on sale currently
Karve D plate SB or C OC
ATT Windsor Pro
EJ 3one6
Rockwell 6S (MIM not cast)
Pearl flexi adjustable

Other formats and vintage
Supply injector (alloy is $125)
Gem or Ever ready vintage
Gillette New oc

To beat them all
A beginner basic shave ready straight razor kit to get the best shaves with no concept of aggressive. :pipe:

Last edited:
I think I'm going to try a Karve. Maybe a C SB plate. Any one have that and a 34C and compared them?
I found the C SB plate more aggressive than my 34C. That being said, the blade angle that it approaches the skin is slightly different. That could have been something to do it with it. YMMV - but for me, I found it rougher.

I found the C SB plate more aggressive than my 34C. That being said, the blade angle that it approaches the skin is slightly different. That could have been something to do it with it. YMMV - but for me, I found it rougher.
Ah, interesting. I think the B plate is supposed to be closer to the feel of the 34C.

M

Member 113878

I have the B plate, both SB and OC.
The SB B is indeed quite similar to a 34C.
If you want more, then the SB C or OC B could be an alternative.

Top Bottom