What's new

Someone with turning skills?

I have two knots left over from all the restorations I've done and when I realized I was going to have leftovers I saved my two favorite knots (a 2-band and a mixed, both are 20mm).

I was thinking it would be cool to use some of the downed limbs from the camp I work at to have some handles made for those knots.

There's some pretty cedar (I think) that we put off to the side because someone was going to eventually make some fencing out of it but that never materialized. Was thinking that would be pretty.

Then we have some oak. The camp's name is Oak Hill Camp so I thought having a brush from one of the oaks would be very cool memento as we prepare to finish our six years here.

Are any of the turners on the forum interested in such a project?

I can mail a section of each to you (just tell me basic size needed) and am willing to reimburse you for your time, skill, and efforts.

I'm open to suggestions but was sort of thinking a barbershop style handle for the cedar similar to/like one of these:

PXL_20210314_232301162.jpg

PXL_20210314_232334822.jpg

And for the oak one I would love to have one similar to my all time favorite handle style:

PXL_20210314_232309744.jpg

PM if you are interested in such a project!

Thanks!!

I don't have much time currently, but making handles is a great idea. Keep in mind that even the best turner can experience a catch and have the wood blow apart. I have experienced this while turning bowls. It wakes you up in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think it's red.

I am tree bark stupid and the apps I found were inconsistent

But a tree guy I know said he was pretty sure the one on the right was red oak based on the picture I sent him

Only white oak for sure was just cut down a week or two ago whereas the other had been down almost 2 years

I think it's red.

I am tree bark stupid and the apps I found were inconsistent

But a tree guy I know said he was pretty sure the one on the right was red oak based on the picture I sent him

Only white oak for sure was just cut down a week or two ago whereas the other had been down almost 2 years

Leaves are the best way to tell unless its in the hand.
Pointy lobed leaf= Red Oak
Rounded tip lobes= White oak

Top Bottom