What's new

Some pictures from my recent trip to Eskilstuna

*yawn*

Wake me up when you get to Ningbo, China. Where the forges are busy cranking out razors, not acting as broom closets!

proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Great post Jens!

I wonder what it would take to resurrect that forge and start pumping out modern Swedish razors?

I did wonder why all the houses were red. Figured it was so you can see them in the snow and in the stupidly long nights in the winter.
I have a couple of C V Heljestrands, nice to see where they were born.

I did wonder why all the houses were red. Figured it was so you can see them in the snow and in the stupidly long nights in the winter.
I have a couple of C V Heljestrands, nice to see where they were born.

Probably the same reason why barns are red: red was the cheapest color paint available.

Great post Jens!

I wonder what it would take to resurrect that forge and start pumping out modern Swedish razors?
A whole lot I guess.... Not much of the equipment is around & most guys able to do the work are long dead & gone....

However, the tradition & heritage is very strong.
Many of the relatives to the old Masters are still living in Eskilstuna, for example both Berg, Heljestrand & Neiström & Törnblom families live in or around Eskilstuna.
However, for them it was just someting their ancestors used to do for a living.
There really is no "pride" in it. AFAIK none, except the gentleman running a shop in the Berg forge has kept the knowledge alive & he has no interest in razors, only knives & scissors.
And to be honest back in the day the cutlery industry wasn't to glamorous.
Most guys started out in their early teens & died in their early 40's due to damaged lungs.

There is even a house inside the Rademacher that was specifically built as a home for "cutlery widows"

Doing razors they "old industrial way" is probably near impossible.
But opening up a shop in there & start doign custom razors. My gawd, how cool would that be.
If anyone is willing to risk some $$$ let me know & I'll make it happen :biggrin:

As for the beauty of the area, I completely agree, it's a great place.
However, the rest of Eskilstuna looks nothing like it.
It's a very typical old European heavy industrial type of town.

Top Bottom