What's new

Some pictures from my recent trip to Eskilstuna

Soooo, 3 generations of Swedes were packed in the car & after an hours drive we rolled into Eskilstuna, as you can see it was a very typical Swedish summer day…
proxy.php

Rademacher-area in Eskilstuna is were all the Swedish metal industru began in the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Century.
And due to a bunch of smart people a lot of the original area has been kept pretty much the same way that it looked in the end of the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] Century.
Only two of the forges are still operational as forges, one is making all kinds of metal objects & one is an actual knifemaker. Then there is also a kids forge, were kids can actually try some hands on forging. Doesn’t open until the real tourist season opens in July though.
The rest of the places are used as store-fronts & shops for various types of artisans, anything from candle-makers, sewing, woodcarving & what not.

I have been here a bunch of times before, but this time I made sure to take some pics.
What we didn’t count was the fact that this very Saturday a lot of schools had their official graduation & all the celebration that comes with it & that meant that several of the places inside the Rademacher were closed, including both of the only still operating forges…

So, sadly I didn’t get to many indoor pics. But on the other hand, that gives me a good reason to go back soon again :biggrin:

Also, bear in mind that this was were it all started, as the industry grew & Eskilstunas reputation grew in the later half of the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] Century, most of the forges grew & lots of new ones popped up & almost all of them built new houses down by the river, also these houses are today used for various industrial companies, but they have been rebuilt & modernized & they really aren’t that exciting to begin with, just picture any old Western world heavy industrial area & you pretty much have it..

But, let’s enter the Rademacher area
proxy.php

The first house you see is the original C.V Heljestrand forge.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Today a candle/sewing/knick-knack maker resides in there, a lovely woman, very knowledgeable about her shops glorious past.
“Every year there is a couple of guys just like yourself who comes in here with hazy eyes, wanting to touch the forge & stuff” she said.

The coal forge, that gave birth to so many fantastic blades are today used as a storage area…
proxy.php

The building is, just like most of them, very small & I literally had to hunch down just to fit inside.
I was told that the ground floor was used for forging & the top floor was where the razors & scissors & other items were ground & finished.

This building housed a company famous for their high quality locks & other door accessories.
Today it’s remade into a “play forge” for kids. Unfortunately closed today.
proxy.php

Here is the original Pontus Holmberg forge, while Mr Holmberg never made razors, he is very well known in the knife collecting world as a maker of some of the finest knifes & daggers available from the early 1900’s.
proxy.php

This little house was the home of a Master blacksmith & his family, he was mostly known for his excellent hinges.
proxy.php

But you nuts want razors…

This house was the home Erik Anton Berg, Master razor maker & one of the most successful of all entreprenurs in Eskilstuna.
So that also makes it the house of the Original Honemeister.
Or shall I say HoneMeistress.
proxy.php

When starting out Mr Berg was really poor & couldn’t afford any employees, so his wife took care of all the honing & packing inside their own kitchen.
It turned out she was so darn good at honing, sharpening & accessing the quality of an edge, that even way after the company had become a major player she still demanded to see & inspect each & every razor that left the factory.
Given that they sold hundreds of thousands of razors, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone that has honed & checked more razors then Mrs Berg!

Here is the original E.A Berg forge, when E.A Berg outgrew the place incidentally a young, promising lad moved in instead, Johan Hellberg, who once he reached fame shortened his name to J.A Hellberg…
proxy.php

Today there is an actual knife-maker residing there who makes some great knives.
He also runs a sharpening business in the same house.
Unfortunately it was closed today.
This guy has some serious pedigree; both his father & grandfather were Master grinders at the Heljestrand forge…

From the other side:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Here’s the other operational forge, also closed today but here’s a sneak peak inside the window on the old furnace.
proxy.php

If you ever get a chance to go here, it’s well worth it, especially if you go on a day when everything is open :biggrin:
There really isn’t much actual razor related things going on, but the evidence is everywhere of a once blooming cutlery industry.
And personally just walking around there, thinking about what was done & the superior craftsmen that once performed their magic there everyday is just fantastic.

Mr Rademacher himself & a little brief history:
proxy.php

They are cool looking little houses. I would like to live in something like that.
Well I grew up in a house like that & see what that did to me, be careful what you wish for :biggrin:

That style of house is everywhere around here, most of them are modernized significantly, but they look pretty much the same on the outside.
The typical red color that you can see EVERYWHERE in Sweden & many parts of Finland on houses, barns & other wooden buildnings is called "Falu Rödfärg" or "Redpaint from Falun", the pigment comes from a copper mine near the city of Falun(also a big iron mine back in the days) and the paint is made from water, linseed oil & wheat flour.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, wonderful pictures and what a beautiful charming country you live in. I have an ivory scaled Erik Anton Berg in pristine condition that is the centerpiece of my collection.

Thanks for the great pictures and information. Those are really nice houses, would they run you out of town if you painted on a different color?

Thanks for the great pictures and information. Those are really nice houses, would they run you out of town if you painted on a different color?
In this area you'd probably be thrown in jail... The reason everything is kept so original is that a long time ago the City of Eskilstuna gave the whole Rademacher area something we call "K-marking"
meaning marking a building or a location so important for Swedish history that none is allowed to change it.
Same thing with many old churches & even a whole part of Stockholm, the oldest part of town is kept pretty much like it looked 400 years ago.

But on the countryside a lot of houses still has this color, despite that you are free to paint it pretty much as you please.
The peer pressure is prettys strong I guess, if all your neighbors have a falu-red house & you paint yours pink...well the tar & the feathers might just come out at nite :biggrin:

Jens:

Great write-up and photos. Thanks very much for posting this history and photos for all of us to experience.

Enjoy your shaves.

Don

Very nice photo essay. Thanks for the virtual tour. I have several Eskilstuna razors. It was nice to see the town where so many wonderful razors came from.

Top Bottom