What's new

Softey bits

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm in this camp... got some included in a pipe PIF, tried one out, really didn't like the way it felt really thick compared to the plain stem, so I PIF'd the rest away with some pipes to another B&B member that was looking to give pipe's a shot.
Thanks for PIFfing. It is so easy to toss things you don't like, but someone else may. I PIFfed some Arko I was going to toss. Yeah, postage cost more than the stick, but the receiver enjoyed it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I agree with having some kind of protection, I think Shave_Rat has got me convinced on finding a tubing alternative. This way bits or protective sleeves could be custom cut as well. I have a new Peterson on the way and in the ball park of $100 I don't want the stem to be marred or even chewed through in time, I know it;s not hugely expensive for a pipe but it is hugely expensive for me and I plan on taking care of it any way I can.
But that $100 Peterson can last a lifetime,, and your sons, if properly looked after.

I put in an order for some along with some more tobacco to try out. I'm not much of a clencher, but I'd rather keep my stems nice and neat. We'll see how it goes.

Anyone have and use a good alternative to softies like surgical tubing or shrink tubing, I'd love to hear and see about it

I used one last night for the first time and really liked it. Picked some up after reading this thread in fact. I don't clench all the time, but find it really comfortable regardless.

I got some in Sendai the other weekend and absolutely love them.

Do you take them off after each use? And do you find it's difficult to get them onto larger pipes? That Alexander Briar Poker has a really large lip. Are they all one size fits all?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
They are one size fits all, but I have a couple pipes with very wide stems and they don't last as long on those pipes. My eye teeth tend to wear holes in the softys pretty fast on those pipes. To get them on a wide pipe I put the softy in my mouth and get them wet and they slide on much easier, I also leave them on all the time.

They are one size fits all, but I have a couple pipes with very wide stems and they don't last as long on those pipes. My eye teeth tend to wear holes in the softys pretty fast on those pipes. To get them on a wide pipe I put the softy in my mouth and get them wet and they slide on much easier, I also leave them on all the time.

Good tip (pun intended :lol:)

Thanks CQ!

I have them on my regular pipes. I have a couple special pipes with handcut buttons that are so perfect I can't stand to mess them up with a softy bit. I also finding myself not clenching on those pipes though.

Last edited:
I tried them and didn't like the feel of them, nor the taste. I merely don't clench the pipes I care about the stems on. I save those for when I'm sitting and relaxing and have no need to clench.

Hated the softies, but I tried simple neoprene O- rings, and find them much better and more comfortable. Plus you can get a hundred of them for less than 10 bucks.

al in colorado

I don't really like to clench but there are times when you are smoking when you need both hands and don't have anywhere to put your pipe. With softies it is much more comfortable to clench for a moment without fear of marring the stem. I tend to use them on any pipe with a wide, flat stem.

I am still a notorious clencher and I now have softey bits on evey pipe except for my cobs.

Top Bottom