What's new

Softest synthetic fiber/knot on the market.

What would you consider to be the softest synthetic fiber/knot currently available? Looking for some recommendations on types and brands.

I'm mostly familiar with the current Mühle STF fiber. I like it but am looking for something even softer.

AP Shave Co SynBad is an inexpensive soft synthetic knot that I enjoy using.
I like the Synbads, but they're in the same general category as my STF knots. In the @apshaveco line, it would be their cashmere.

Someone else recommended the pony to me, although I can't determine if that rainbow handle is the only one they match it with. It's purported to be Wald-like.

... Thom

I like the Synbads, but they're in the same general category as my STF knots. In the @apshaveco line, it would be their cashmere.

Someone else recommended the pony to me, although I can't determine if that rainbow handle is the only one they match it with. It's purported to be Wald-like.

... Thom
Good point. I went with the softest I like using without the Wald price. I believe the SynBad is softer than STF, but I probably have my SynBad knots set fairly high.

From Elite Razor... 26mm Motherload knot
1716524746410.png

if you want cashmere just get Turn N' Shave angel hair less backbone to make feel softer 😇
I like the suggestion on the TNS Angelhair but the only common element between the Angelhair and the Cashmere are in color only. Different fiber, overall height of knot including more usable loft on the Angelhair, density of the knot, and the backbone on the Cashmere is 10+ times stronger and unusable for me is why I sold it. Night and day difference in my opinion.

I still own the Angelhair but sold the Cashmere shortly after setting it in a Wild West Brushworks handle at i believe 56-57mm loft same as the Angelhair and struggled with splaying it. The Angelhair has what I call Splay On Demand as its easy to splay and maintain the splay throughout lathering where the Cashmere couldn't. I set both of these knots almost 6 yrs ago and use the Angelhair at least one a week.

DC/TNS Angelhair
Angelhair.jpg

WWBW Cashmere
Cashmere.jpg

I had an AP Shave Co SynBad fan-shaped knot set at Andrew's recommended loft. It was super soft and splayed really easily. It was the second softest brush I owned, second to the Wald A1

Another vote for the Mother Lode. I've tried a lot of synthetics (although not the Wald) and haven't found anything that surpasses the cloud-like face feel of the Mother Lode.

The Mother Lode knot is extremely soft, but the fibers tend to get tangled. I think that is why apshaveco doesn't carry it. I still love using it. :)

The objectively correct answer, if softness is the only variable in question, is the Motherlode knot. Literally nothing available in the market today is softer.

But it tangles and has very little backbone. If you want a brush that's almost as soft as the Motherlode, but actually performs well as a shaving brush long term, try the PAA Solar Flare.

Top Bottom