What's new

SOC vs 2040HD

I just purchased the SOC Finest today so can't tell you much about it. Looking forward to its arrival. You get 10% off for being a new customer at west coast shaving. Bonus.

Sorry, just an SOC owner here. I imagine you’ll get some responses soon. There may be some prior reviews of the two using the search function.

Sorry, just an SOC owner here. I imagine you’ll get some responses soon. There may be some prior reviews of the two using the search function.
Thanks! Unlike SOC, there's little or no info on the 2040 HD. I'm really curious. How dense is the knot, how does the backbone compares to SOC, etc.

Hmmm... 2040HD is a weird one. The specs I found for it on other websites vary quite a bit in terms of hair grade a few websites suggest super badger hair. The pictures of the brush look a heck of a lot more like super badger rather than finest (i.e. 2 band badger). Also the loft is spec'd to be higher (vs SOC) and the knot itself is either 23mm or 24mm.
All that combined makes me think the 2040HD will have very little in common with the SOC in terms of feel and performance, and I would consider it overall as a lesser brush vs. the SOC.
I no longer own the SOC but did like it quite a bit while I had it and would recommend it as one of the top badger brushes under 100$.

I have the SOC with the Taj handle. The handle is great, very ergonomic, just fits in the hand. I like the knot too. I think there is a lot of confusion around Semogue brushes because they changed the names and specs (Excelcior -> Hereditas, Super -> Finest). I even read that they are the same knots, just different name. In the end I bought the SOC, because that was praised by everyone.

Hmmm... 2040HD is a weird one. The specs I found for it on other websites vary quite a bit in terms of hair grade a few websites suggest super badger hair. The pictures of the brush look a heck of a lot more like super badger rather than finest (i.e. 2 band badger). Also the loft is spec'd to be higher (vs SOC) and the knot itself is either 23mm or 24mm.
All that combined makes me think the 2040HD will have very little in common with the SOC in terms of feel and performance, and I would consider it overall as a lesser brush vs. the SOC.
I no longer own the SOC but did like it quite a bit while I had it and would recommend it as one of the top badger brushes under 100$.
The name HD (high density) makes me think it will have more backbone (more densely packed, assuming they're both 24mm knots). This more backbone might be neutralized by the slightly higher loft. In the end, I don't expect it to be lesser of a brush than the SOC (hair grade is the same for both models). Also I think the handle on the 2040HD looks fabulous.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

I have the SOC Finest and SOC Mistura. I really like having the matching pair. I also got the SOC Finest because there was an unbeatable sale price on them. The 2040 HD looks nice, but have not tried one. The HD name was used on some of the older Semogue brushes to indicate a denser knot in comparison to the standard knot in that same model. So, there is (or was) a 2040 standard model, too.

I have the SOC Finest and SOC Mistura. I really like having the matching pair. I also got the SOC Finest because there was an unbeatable sale price on them. The 2040 HD looks nice, but have not tried one. The HD name was used on some of the older Semogue brushes to indicate a denser knot in comparison to the standard knot in that same model. So, there is (or was) a 2040 standard model, too.
Maybe I should just ask Portuguese Factory if the 2040HD is a denser knot compared to the SOC. That's mainly my interest in this.

I’m on the other side of everyone who has the SOC. I only have the 2040HD. It is the older Excelcior model. The brush is not one that I would call dense by any stretch. Backbone is not floppy, but not stiff. Middle of the road if not slightly on the floppier side of middle. Tips are excellent, very soft. Handle is very nice. The brush is a little lather monster! That is where this brush shines! For me at least. As always, YMMV!

Now I say all that and I too am interested in the SOC in finest! That butterscotch handle is stunning!

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Top Bottom