What's new

Soapy musings

Just thinkin' whilst shaving today...

DISCLAIMER: These are of course my opinions, based on my personal experiences, which are admittedly limited, especially considering the aggregate experience of the B&B. So...there will be no "YMMV" or "IMHO" appearing here...they are implied as always.
-----------
The use of soap for wet-shaving is probably the most pleasurable aspect of the activity. Of course a BBS is great, but even a SAS is good, after spending quality time with a brush (badger, of course...) and soap.

Here are some Soap Truths According to Shiloh:

• The "holy trinity" of soaps is Tabac, Cella, and Mitchell's Wool Fat. Every den needs to have a puck of each. Beginners must try these classics, which have been around forever for a reason.
  • Williams Mug Soap is also a classic, and -- especially considering its price -- must be tried. Some people are "chosen" and Williams works wonders, and others,..not so much, to say the least. I find it difficult to produce a long-lasting, yogurt-y lather, but it's slick -- and I like the fragrance. But I've moved on.
  • For some unknown visceral reason, I don't have any interest in Arko. Or Proraso.
  • I might try Haslinger Schafmilch...although it would seem to be very similar to MWF. Maybe Stirling Electric Sheep. We'll see...I seem to be in a "sheep" phase.
  • It's impossible to get a bad lather with Tabac.
  • Tabac does not smell like Archie Bunker's undershirt or the bottom of Grandma's purse with Pall Malls in it.
  • Real soaps have tallow.
  • Veggie soaps are an interesting diversion, but...[see immediately above]
  • Hard soaps are mandatory. I have no interest in creams. Gotta be a "soap."
  • No matter how expensive, a great soap is worth it. At a minimum it's cheaper than canned goo (one a per shave basis). And even a terrible soap (and I haven't found one yet) is better than canned goo.
  • Face-lathering is the only way to go. You can feel the lather getting to just the right point -- and the action of the brush working the lather into the whiskers and massaging the skin just plain feels good.
  • Warm water for lathering is mandatory. I just can't imagine cold-water lathering and shaving.
  • Even a great soap can have a bad day (usually operator error), and the lather just isn't right. Many variables at play here (brush, water temp, humidity, operator attitude), and every soap is different. Finding the right technique(a) is part of the enjoyment of using soaps!
  • Exception to the "even a great soap can have a bad day" rule: Tabac. It's 100% reliable, with outstanding shaves resulting.
  • The fragrance of soaps (even Tabac and Williams) is generally irrelevant. Unless it smells like skunk urine or raw sewage, performance (slick, cushiony, and long-lasting) is the only thing that matters. It makes the shaving pleasant (or maybe not), but after a rinse and application of AS splashes/balms/cologne...any residual soap fragrance is gone (even Tabac!).

That's all for the moment...I may chime with more as my minds wanders.

Hmm I have absolutely no desire to try Arko either. Only question I have is how do you feel about Tabac? :laugh:

Hmm I have absolutely no desire to try Arko either. Only question I have is how do you feel about Tabac? :laugh:
Yeah, I admit I'm a bit of a fan-boy for Tabac. :blush:

But (here comes that confession again)...I've been using Stirling Barbershop a lot lately, and I must say it gives Tabac a run for its money. The scent is somewhat less [ahem] "polarizing" than Tabac. The Stirling takes a little more work and thirst-quenching, but it's definitely worth the effort.

But ahhhhh, the Tabac...it seems to lather itself as I approach the puck with the brush...it's like "take me...I'm yours!" It greets me like an old faithful dog (no, it does not smell like an old wet dog...)...always there with a friendly greeting, ready to forgive my absence -- and my human errors.

Nothin' wrong with knowing what you like. Tabac is the first soap on my list to order next. Originally I was just sticking to soaps but started adding creams just for the variety of it.

I agree with you, mostly.
I have to say though... I'm always a little worried about a guy who is in a "sheep phase"! :lol:
Hmmm...that's two of y'all who are concerned about that. Maybe that says more about you than me...:001_rolle

As a sidebar...my wife is a hooker, and there is a lot of sheep-related things around the house, so I guess we're in a sheep phase hereabouts...can't be helped.

What? No, no...you perv(s)... She hooks rugs and there are many bins of wool around the house, and since wool comes from sheep...there is a definite sheep connection going on...sheep-themed items, etc.

Top Bottom