What's new

Soapy musings

Just thinkin' whilst shaving today...

DISCLAIMER: These are of course my opinions, based on my personal experiences, which are admittedly limited, especially considering the aggregate experience of the B&B. So...there will be no "YMMV" or "IMHO" appearing here...they are implied as always.
-----------
The use of soap for wet-shaving is probably the most pleasurable aspect of the activity. Of course a BBS is great, but even a SAS is good, after spending quality time with a brush (badger, of course...) and soap.

Here are some Soap Truths According to Shiloh:

• The "holy trinity" of soaps is Tabac, Cella, and Mitchell's Wool Fat. Every den needs to have a puck of each. Beginners must try these classics, which have been around forever for a reason.
  • Williams Mug Soap is also a classic, and -- especially considering its price -- must be tried. Some people are "chosen" and Williams works wonders, and others,..not so much, to say the least. I find it difficult to produce a long-lasting, yogurt-y lather, but it's slick -- and I like the fragrance. But I've moved on.
  • For some unknown visceral reason, I don't have any interest in Arko. Or Proraso.
  • I might try Haslinger Schafmilch...although it would seem to be very similar to MWF. Maybe Stirling Electric Sheep. We'll see...I seem to be in a "sheep" phase.
  • It's impossible to get a bad lather with Tabac.
  • Tabac does not smell like Archie Bunker's undershirt or the bottom of Grandma's purse with Pall Malls in it.
  • Real soaps have tallow.
  • Veggie soaps are an interesting diversion, but...[see immediately above]
  • Hard soaps are mandatory. I have no interest in creams. Gotta be a "soap."
  • No matter how expensive, a great soap is worth it. At a minimum it's cheaper than canned goo (one a per shave basis). And even a terrible soap (and I haven't found one yet) is better than canned goo.
  • Face-lathering is the only way to go. You can feel the lather getting to just the right point -- and the action of the brush working the lather into the whiskers and massaging the skin just plain feels good.
  • Warm water for lathering is mandatory. I just can't imagine cold-water lathering and shaving.
  • Even a great soap can have a bad day (usually operator error), and the lather just isn't right. Many variables at play here (brush, water temp, humidity, operator attitude), and every soap is different. Finding the right technique(a) is part of the enjoyment of using soaps!
  • Exception to the "even a great soap can have a bad day" rule: Tabac. It's 100% reliable, with outstanding shaves resulting.
  • The fragrance of soaps (even Tabac and Williams) is generally irrelevant. Unless it smells like skunk urine or raw sewage, performance (slick, cushiony, and long-lasting) is the only thing that matters. It makes the shaving pleasant (or maybe not), but after a rinse and application of AS splashes/balms/cologne...any residual soap fragrance is gone (even Tabac!).

That's all for the moment...I may chime with more as my minds wanders.

Thanks for sharing! I agree with many of your observations, especially the general merits of 'tallow' soaps. :thumbup1:

I have also had good experience with a number of the products you endorse, especially MWF, to which I would add Haslinger's and MdC.

For me Tabac, Cella and Arko lather well, but I cannot get around the 'aroma.' Clearly, YMMV!

Yes, your mileage certainly does vary, as does mine. If a soap smells horrible to me, like Tabac, I just can't use it. You might not mind a soap that smells like skunk urine or raw sewage, but I certainly do. Hours after the first only time I used Tabac, I could still smell it. And it smells like they used an old ashtray to pour the soap into.
And I bowl lather, usually on the puck, and enjoy cold water shaving.
But that's what I love about this hobby, there's so many ways to do it, and unless it makes you bleed, none of it is wrong .

Just thinkin' whilst shaving today...

DISCLAIMER: These are of course my opinions, based on my personal experiences, which are admittedly limited, especially considering the aggregate experience of the B&B. So...there will be no "YMMV" or "IMHO" appearing here...they are implied as always.
-----------
The use of soap for wet-shaving is probably the most pleasurable aspect of the activity. Of course a BBS is great, but even a SAS is good, after spending quality time with a brush (badger, of course...) and soap.

Here are some Soap Truths According to Shiloh:

• The "holy trinity" of soaps is Tabac, Cella, and Mitchell's Wool Fat. Every den needs to have a puck of each. Beginners must try these classics, which have been around forever for a reason.
  • Williams Mug Soap is also a classic, and -- especially considering its price -- must be tried. Some people are "chosen" and Williams works wonders, and others,..not so much, to say the least. I find it difficult to produce a long-lasting, yogurt-y lather, but it's slick -- and I like the fragrance. But I've moved on.
  • For some unknown visceral reason, I don't have any interest in Arko. Or Proraso.
  • I might try Haslinger Schafmilch...although it would seem to be very similar to MWF. Maybe Stirling Electric Sheep. We'll see...I seem to be in a "sheep" phase.
  • It's impossible to get a bad lather with Tabac.
  • Tabac does not smell like Archie Bunker's undershirt or the bottom of Grandma's purse with Pall Malls in it.
  • Real soaps have tallow.
  • Veggie soaps are an interesting diversion, but...[see immediately above]
  • Hard soaps are mandatory. I have no interest in creams. Gotta be a "soap."
  • No matter how expensive, a great soap is worth it. At a minimum it's cheaper than canned goo (one a per shave basis). And even a terrible soap (and I haven't found one yet) is better than canned goo.
  • Face-lathering is the only way to go. You can feel the lather getting to just the right point -- and the action of the brush working the lather into the whiskers and massaging the skin just plain feels good.
  • Warm water for lathering is mandatory. I just can't imagine cold-water lathering and shaving.
  • Even a great soap can have a bad day (usually operator error), and the lather just isn't right. Many variables at play here (brush, water temp, humidity, operator attitude), and every soap is different. Finding the right technique(a) is part of the enjoyment of using soaps!
  • Exception to the "even a great soap can have a bad day" rule: Tabac. It's 100% reliable, with outstanding shaves resulting.
  • The fragrance of soaps (even Tabac and Williams) is generally irrelevant. Unless it smells like skunk urine or raw sewage, performance (slick, cushiony, and long-lasting) is the only thing that matters. It makes the shaving pleasant (or maybe not), but after a rinse and application of AS splashes/balms/cologne...any residual soap fragrance is gone (even Tabac!).

That's all for the moment...I may chime with more as my minds wanders.

I appreciate your insights. For some reason I felt compelled to add my thoughts too.

• I agree that Tabac, Cella, and MWF are must try. I don't agree that all of them belong in every den. All of them are won't buy again items for me. I just have others I enjoy more.
  • On Williams, Arko, and Proraso (throw in C.O. Bigelow for good measure) I agree completely.
  • On your "sheep phase", I hope you just mean lanolin soaps...:blushing:
  • I still think Tabac smells like my great aunt Shirley. Not bad, that's just what it reminds me of.
  • As far as tallow soaps, I think I agree. All of my favorites have tallow or lanolin. Every once in a while I'll get a great shave from a non-tallow glycerin soap and it will start to change my mind. Then I try it again and end up with a not-so-great shave. Just not repeatable for me.
  • I use creams every once in a while, but I tend to enjoy my soaps more.
  • I'm a Dave Ramsey follower, and only recently consumer debt-free. As such, you'll never hear me say the words: "No matter how expensive".
  • I'm a face latherer myself. I just couldn't get the hang of bowl lathering, and my shave results have always been better when face lathering.
  • I'm primarily a cold-water shaver. I get less irritation and ingrowns that way. Plus, I live in AZ. If you've never seen it, check out the Art of Manliness article on cold water shaving (and cold showers for that matter).
  • I'm a fragrance fan. I like a strong fragrance, and it has to be enjoyable. But scent alone cannot redeem a poor performing soap either. I need both.

I agree with most of your observations. I like both tallow-based and vegan soaps. With that said, my disclaimer is that not all vegan soaps work well for me, but most of the upper tier artisans make a good product.

[MENTION=89593]Shiloh[/MENTION] How does Cella fit in with your philosophy that "Hard soaps are mandatory"?

• I'm a Dave Ramsey follower, and only recently consumer debt-free. As such, you'll never hear me say the words: "No matter how expensive".

:thumbup: As a DR follower and leader, I get it. I am constantly looking for the under priced, over performing product - shaving or otherwise.

[MENTION=89593]Shiloh[/MENTION] How does Cella fit in with your philosophy that "Hard soaps are mandatory"?
I knew someone would say something about that. Cella is sort of in a special class [emoji2] anyway...it IS in a tub, and not a tube

I knew someone would say something about that. Cella is sort of in a special class [emoji2] anyway...it IS in a tub, and not a tube
Confession: I also use -- and absolutely love -- Stirling Barbershop. That's also not a "hard soap" but it is a soap (and not a cream).

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's well-said.

The must-try soap list is larger, IMHO ... and even if I hated Tabac's scent, I'd use it.

AA

crsw was the tabac killer for me. tabac-like with great scents.

you have many soaps to go grasshopper. push on.

Top Bottom