What's new

Soaps that Burn!

My skin is tolerant of a lot of soaps, but there are at least two that it doesn't enjoy. One is Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars. It burns like a heavy duty bay rum with serano peppers. It doesn't leave any damage, and the burning dissipates shortly after the shave, but it's not pleasant.

The other, ironically, is TOBS Jermyn Street. This one is worse than HeV, but it's supposed to be for "sensitive skin". Maybe they mean it's for creating sensitive skin, not for those who have sensitive skin? Oddly, the AS doesn't bother me; I even enjoy it. The soap though, is torture.

Does anyone else have issues with these or other soaps?

For me, I've only had this with soaps containing Asian Plum - I still use them for very quick shaves.
Can't explain it, but I like the sensation...
proxy.php

proxy.php

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have to use either either unscented soaps or soaps with very light scents. My dermatologist confirmed this decision. She said, the ingredients used for scents will often cause people with psoriasis skin's to react. Add to that, I have eczema as well, as an added bonus.... She has me using Metro Gel.. and things have improved dramatically.

I have the Cognac and Cuban Cigars on deck to try, so I should know soon on that. I've never had an issue except with Cinnamon Girl and for the life of me I can't remember the manufacturer. It burned and kept my skin red for many hours. I gave that away shortly after the one use with a warning to the recipient of my experience.

I experienced a burning sensation with SV 70th Anniversary and Felice Aromatica when I used Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap. If I use a Glycerin Soap as a pre shave soap I don't get the burning. I would assume there is some chemical make up that reacts that bothers my skin.

I have the Cognac and Cuban Cigars on deck to try, so I should know soon on that. I've never had an issue except with Cinnamon Girl and for the life of me I can't remember the manufacturer. It burned and kept my skin red for many hours. I gave that away shortly after the one use with a warning to the recipient of my experience.
Wasn't Cinnamon Girl an IanS shaving soap?

My skin is tolerant of a lot of soaps, but there are at least two that it doesn't enjoy. One is Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars. It burns like a heavy duty bay rum with serano peppers. It doesn't leave any damage, and the burning dissipates shortly after the shave, but it's not pleasant.

The other, ironically, is TOBS Jermyn Street. This one is worse than HeV, but it's supposed to be for "sensitive skin". Maybe they mean it's for creating sensitive skin, not for those who have sensitive skin? Oddly, the AS doesn't bother me; I even enjoy it. The soap though, is torture.

Does anyone else have issues with these or other soaps?
I got a burning tingle when using Jingle Bell Spice by K Shave Worx. Not an uncomfortable burn it was just enough to let me know it’s there.

I can honestly say, of dozens of soaps and creams I've tried over the decades, I've never had one that "burned". Never. I've had a few that didn't perform so well but that's it. I stick to known brands and don't experiment with "artisan" makers.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Almond stuff lights up my normally incredibly handsome face! @shavefan saved me some money by sending me some Vito's and Cella... Nothing that sent me to the hospital or anything, but uncomfortable enough that it felt like fire until I slept it off....just weird.

Top Bottom