What's new

Soaps that Burn!

Just because someone else is sensitive to a scent does not mean you will be. I have sensitive skin and have issues with clove, cinnamon, pepper, peppermint, menthol, lemon, lime, grapefruit and probably a few others. Once I tried Ogalala Bay Rum. The clove content immediately started burning my face. I had to grab hand soap and wash it off to stop the burning.

I love the aroma of H e V Cognac and Cuban Cigars. It does not irritate my skin from the scent, but it does not perform that well for me, so I cannot get an irritation-free shave.

Stirling Bergamot and Lavender did it for me, although it took a few shaves to really get bad. The last one, though, my face was still burning a few hours later. Not sure which component did it. It's a shame because I absolutely love the scent.

Other scents have given me a tingle or a little itchiness but not enough to stop using them (although I won't buy them again).

The worst one ever for me was Oleo Providence (Sweetgrass). The next worst was a number of Sterling soaps (all from sample) and then a mixed bag of scents including GD, MMcN, CRSW, and Oleo. I have found that as long as I stay with lightly and complex scented soaps, especially those using EOs, I am usually issue-free. But if I go for heavy/single scent soaps it still can go wrong. I had to throw out a rub of Laugar Ragnarok because the cedar eviscerated my face. All her other scents work great for me, so this was a one-off.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
13 artisan, 3 mainstream, 2 can’t be determined for the thread count.

There are likely reasons why artisans are leading the mainstram products like:
- Artisans make some soaps that are intensely scented, catering to a certain market,
- Artisans make some intensely mentholated soaps, catering to a certain market,
- Artisans (by virtue of being small) probably cannot do skin sensitivity testing like a large mainstream company.
- US cosmetic products for external use do not go through an approval process like their EU counterparts.

Fortunately adverse effects for the most part are mild and subside after the offending soap is washed off.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Mama Bears unscented works, but the few small other scents I've tried from her make me to want to shave quickly and get it off. Derby soap and Shave Factory soap which is said to be the same is another I don't like hanging around on my face. Peppermint as of late, has started to irritate as well.

FWIW, TOBS Jermyn St soap is totally mild, actually soothing, for me!!

taylor of old bond street jermyn kai april 6 2022.jpg

I've tried hundress of soaps in the last 10 years I've been wet shaving and only had a few burn my face.

The ones that stuck out the most is A&E's St Barts and Café Olay. They were both samples thank goodness so I didn't waste full soaps. I've been using 2 more A&E samples this week an neither have burned me.
I'm not sure why some of them did and some don't.

I got a lot of burn from L'Ocittane Cade shaving soap. Along with worst lather EVER. I also got burning from Proraso Green, sicne then I am staying away from anything containing eucalyptus or menthol

Top Bottom