What's new

soap lather

does anyone know why my lather seems to deflate a few seconds after i whip it up, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesnt. any thoughts would grealtly be apreciated.

Usually, lather that deflates is either: 1. Too dry 2. "proto lather" Pre-lather that needs to be whipped much longer 3. Not enough soap. Load 'er up!

Or a combination of the above.

Yeah, I'd say you either aren't working the lather long enough, aren't adding enough water, or both. It took me years before I realized that I'd get better lather if I just worked it a little longer.

Some soaps tend to create this type of lather. For me, William's mug fits that description. I understand that it can create a wonderful lather if you are willing to whip it up for about ten minutes, but I give up after a couple of minutes. That is what I used for today's shave and I experienced the same type of lather you noted.

Some soaps will generate a wonderful lather in about a minute, even with hard water.

ok, i will give whipping it longer a try, i was using stirlings today and i'm trying to get marco's lathering technique down, ill keep experimenting with it, would a bigger brush help? sometimes it seems the brush gets lost in the lather, i think i got an old everready boar brush, its kinda small for the bowl im using to build the lather

ok, i will give whipping it longer a try, i was using stirlings today and i'm trying to get marco's lathering technique down, ill keep experimenting with it, would a bigger brush help? sometimes it seems the brush gets lost in the lather, i think i got an old everready boar brush, its kinda small for the bowl im using to build the lather

I have never used Stirling, but from everything I have heard about it, I am quite surprised you had difficulty getting a good lather with that soap. You might want to see this review by Ruds Shaves to see how he lathers it. He face lathers, but the principles apply to bowl lathering as well. Be sure you load enough soap and then be sure you add enough water to hydrate the lather.

does anyone know why my lather seems to deflate a few seconds after i whip it up, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesnt. any thoughts would grealtly be apreciated.
Can you see bubbles? If so, then it's probably too watery, especially if it doesn't even make it to your face before it collapses. You get "suds" (which can have a lot of volume, for a while) instead of "lather".

Lather that collapses on your face is not necessarily bad though, as long as it stays slick.

I used to experience issues with the older formula as it was thirsty....I mean really thirsty! I would keep adding more and more water, and nothing would happen and then BAM! It would settle into a nice, slick thickish lather that was awesome.

Although the new stuff isn’t nearly as finicky.

If you start with too much water it cam cause it to be airy. Start with less and slowly add water over time.

Can you see bubbles? If so, then it's probably too watery, especially if it doesn't even make it to your face before it collapses. You get "suds" (which can have a lot of volume, for a while) instead of "lather".

Lather that collapses on your face is not necessarily bad though, as long as it stays slick.
That's my thinking too. Perhaps way too much water in your brush. Thoroughly wet it and then give it 2 good shakes and lather.

Some great advice above!

My guess is that you need MORE product! Start with a damp brush, then add MORE water, a few drops at a time! Work the lather and keep adding a few drops of water at a time until you get the lather you want!

would a bigger brush help?

Yes. A synthetic will be easier to lather with. Example here.

i think i got an old everready boar brush, its kinda small for the bowl im using to build the lather

If it looks like the one pictured bellow, that's your problem.

proxy.php

Load the brush, squeeze out the pasty proto-lather in your bowl. Repeat this 3-4 times and keep the brush damp by dipping the tips in water between loading. Then proceed with adding water and bowl lathering.

Last edited:
That brush doesn't look very good, I use a synthetic brush and load a lot of soap.
Water is in the equation, I soak my brush good under the faucet, shake it a couple of times
and load lots of soap, at least 30-45 seconds and I don't have a lather issue. With a good soap like
Stirling you shouldn't have a problem getting a good lather. Looks like you need a better brush.
Synthetics work very well.

@newwetsahver
Your brush looks well experienced and pretty soft for a badger which is good.
Do you soak your brush for a few minutes before you start lathering?
How long do you load the brush in the Stirling before you start making the lather?
How long do you work the lather in the scuttle?

I used Stirling EM yesterday in an Old Spice mug. It's a tight fit like your scuttle and I had to go back dipping in the water bowl 4-6 times before I got good lather. Then I put the lather on my face and worked it a bit, let it sit for about 30 seconds and then added another dip of water to the face lathering.
Nice thick lather resulted.

It's just practice.

Lastly, to quote ackvil "I'd rather have a thin slick lather than a thick pasty one."

ROFLOL.. reading the post just above me... all of shaving is YMMV! :a21:

Very nice brush and scuttle. I believe you don't need anything better to get great lather. As it's been suggested try to load more soap/cream.

Does the lather collapse when you don't use hot water in the scuttle? Heat may be the culprit.

normally i leave the brush soaking in the scuttle while i shower, then i pour the water out and resoak for a few seconds so it can warm back up, i really like the way the boar brush feels not sure about goin with a synthetic, maybe a new boar brush perhaps, also i havent tried lathering outside of the scuttle, i was thinking about getting one of those captian choices bowl and lathering it in there and then transfering to the scuttle for warm lather, i do have an old spice mug but it has some col conk's amber soap melted in it atm.

also on the subject of heat how hot can you get your soap lather, cause warm lather feels really good but as i shave, because im new to this and it takes me a while to actaully shave, the lather cools down, how hot can i get the lather before the heat actually starts effecting the lather?

Last edited:
also on the subject of heat how hot can you get your soap lather, cause warm lather feels really good but as i shave, because im new to this and it takes me a while to actaully shave, the lather cools down, how hot can i get the lather before the heat actually starts effecting the lather?

Hot lather tends to collapse sooner and hot scuttles make it fail even as you're building. Hot air expands, making bubbles pop, which is how lather collapses. I believe creams are slightly more susceptible to this than soaps.

Suggestion. Fill up the scuttle with hot water as you shower, but before your shave, when you pour it out, load it the second time with warm not hot water.

Do some test lathers with cold vs warm vs hot scuttle.

Top Bottom