What's new

So, You're Stranded on a Desert Island.What One Spice Would You Take With You?

What one spice would you take with you to a desert island? you already have salt.

• Black Pepper

• Cinnamon

• Garlic

• Chile Pepper

• Other (Explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Garlic is my first choice. If there was wild garlic, I would go for a member of Casicum Chinense.

If there is wild onion or wild garlic growing then I'd choose black pepper. But if no wild onion or garlic, I'd have to pick garlic as it has a ton of uses that aren't just cooking related.

Last edited:
$1304.gif

This was difficult. Garlic won by a hair VS black pepper. Adobo should get an honorable mention, but that's cheating probably

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Not a spice but Onions. I believe this happened . . . During the Civil war Grant’s army was without Onions. Grant wrote Washington stating that he would not move his army another mile lest he had Onions. The War Department responded by sending a wagon train load of Onions

Great story. Since garlic and onions are both alliums, works for me.

A Jewish friend say an old Yiddish saying is, "When company comes, first cook onions." Says the aroma of the cooking onions gets everyone's gastric juices flowing and ready for a meal.

Anyone old enough to remember the novelty song, "I Love Onions?"

Not a spice but Onions. I believe this happened . . . During the Civil war Grant’s army was without Onions. Grant wrote Washington stating that he would not move his army another mile lest he had Onions. The War Department responded by sending a wagon train load of Onions

Last edited by a moderator:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
That was my gut reaction too. I was flogged for the suggestion as the OP said the island was surrounded by ocean so there was enough salt.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I really like sriracha too . . . with the help of visitors, relatives, friends, family, hangers on, and the chelsey pensioners I can maybe use a bottle a year.

Top Bottom