What's new

So you talked me into it

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So a thing happened yesterday. My heart started racing like anything and didn't stop. Mrs. Rookie brought me to the hospital and I couldn't stop her. That's very telling on its own.

I'm still currently at the hospital. I'm better, but they haven't figured out why it started. I guess we'll see.

The bad thing is no coffee and no smoking. Or snuff, apparently. That little trick lost me pants privileges. And it looks like I'll be quitting smoking cigarettes before too long. Not how I wanted it, but I'm glad that phase in my life may be ending.

Wow! Glad to hear the episode appears to have passed, and I hope they get to the bottom of it soon.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Glad you got it checked out.

A couple friends had something similar. Heart arrhythmia or something. They went on blood thinners, and one ended up getting an ablation procedure to fix it. Were you an athlete in your earlier life?

Um, not really an athlete. I was just as active, probably for a lot longer, but not as organized as an athlete. I still try to hike a good 10 miles a week.

The frustrating thing, right now, is they have no idea what caused it or how to stop it again. They want to take me from the hospital in currently at to one with a better cardio unit.

All this time I've referred to myself as basically healthy. But one session of throwing sandbags took me out. Well, this might be the excuse I need to finally quit cigarettes and half the coffee.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Um, not really an athlete. I was just as active, probably for a lot longer, but not as organized as an athlete. I still try to hike a good 10 miles a week.

The frustrating thing, right now, is they have no idea what caused it or how to stop it again. They want to take me from the hospital in currently at to one with a better cardio unit.

All this time I've referred to myself as basically healthy. But one session of throwing sandbags took me out. Well, this might be the excuse I need to finally quit cigarettes and half the coffee.

My friend’s cardiologist told him it’s pretty common in athletes and people who like to do things that keep the heart rate higher than couch potatoes normally live at. He was into MMA at the time and worked out like a madman. During odd times of the day his heart rate would increase to 200BPM for no reason out of the blue. He is fine now after treatment. My other friend is a fire fighter and he is just dealing with it with medication.

Here’s hoping for a boring diagnosis and uneventful recovery :).

My Mother-in-Law had this happen . . . just do what you're told until they figure it out.

Then you can start to figure out what changes are needed. Hang in there, man.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've seen them. Do they really work? I was worried they'd be some useless gimmick. I'm not looking to smoke a pipe while riding my motorcycle (although if anyone has recommendations). But something to stand up to a constant 25 mph wind.

In other news, I've come to a realization last night. I was browsing new and estate pipe and tobaccos. Just mindlessly looking through the pages in the usual places. And it dawned on my that there was nothing that really jumped out and grabbed me. Nothing I couldn't make a case for spending money on. That was about 3/4 of a second before I realized it had been a few weeks since I last went looking at the sites.

Gentlemen (and any lurking ladies?), I think I'm content with what I have. Don't get me wrong, there's always more I'd like to try. But in a someday kind of way. Maybe next big tobacco order kind of way. I'll still pop into a local tobacconist and support them in some small way. But the difference is if I'm out somewhere I'll stop in. I don't seek then out anymore.

I like my couple pipes a day. I like the pipes I have, even the one I don't use. I like the tobaccos I have, even the ones I don't like make good blenders. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything* with how I'm set up. I'm genuinely content with what I have. That's a good feeling I hope to ride for a while. At least through winter.

*Lakeland would be the one exception. But something happened and we're not getting those right now. So it does me no good to worry about that, other than keeping half an eye open for a (reasonably priced) tin to pop up on the legitimate market.
Contentment is a very good place to be my friend.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So a thing happened yesterday. My heart started racing like anything and didn't stop. Mrs. Rookie brought me to the hospital and I couldn't stop her. That's very telling on its own.

I'm still currently at the hospital. I'm better, but they haven't figured out why it started. I guess we'll see.

The bad thing is no coffee and no smoking. Or snuff, apparently. That little trick lost me pants privileges. And it looks like I'll be quitting smoking cigarettes before too long. Not how I wanted it, but I'm glad that phase in my life may be ending.
Thinking about you Rookieguy.

So it looks like I won't be home before Sunday. Well, as long as they get this fixed right the first time. Luckily I'm in one of the best hospitals in the state for cardiovascular issues. And that's quite a statement considering I'm looking at Johns Hopkins from my window.

They're talking about putting a [something] defibrillator in me. It's like a pacemaker that kicks on when needed, instead of all the time like a pacemaker. One step closer to becoming a bionic Rookie! It wasn't a heart attack, just some scary palpitations. They still don't know what caused it, but knowing how to fix it is just as important.

When I do get out, I'm treating myself to a conglomerate of codger tobaccos. I'm going to mix Half and Half, Carter Hall, F&S Match, and Sutliff RR Match and stuff that into the biggest bowl I have. It may be a codger's nirvana, or it'll be disgusting and send me right back here.

The 2 best things though are that nobody, including me, was hurt during this episode. I could have been deep in the woods, on my motorcycle, behind the wheel, all would have spelled disaster. This was just a scary wake up call.

The other good thing is I think I've had my last cigarette. My only regret in life I think is finally behind me. Mrs. Rookie will be happy.

I'll have to give up 2/3 of my coffee. No more 6-8 cups a day. I'll find a way to make that work. It won't be easy, but I guess it's something I have to do in my transition from middle age to codger to old coot.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So it looks like I won't be home before Sunday. Well, as long as they get this fixed right the first time. Luckily I'm in one of the best hospitals in the state for cardiovascular issues. And that's quite a statement considering I'm looking at Johns Hopkins from my window.

They're talking about putting a [something] defibrillator in me. It's like a pacemaker that kicks on when needed, instead of all the time like a pacemaker. One step closer to becoming a bionic Rookie! It wasn't a heart attack, just some scary palpitations. They still don't know what caused it, but knowing how to fix it is just as important.

When I do get out, I'm treating myself to a conglomerate of codger tobaccos. I'm going to mix Half and Half, Carter Hall, F&S Match, and Sutliff RR Match and stuff that into the biggest bowl I have. It may be a codger's nirvana, or it'll be disgusting and send me right back here.

The 2 best things though are that nobody, including me, was hurt during this episode. I could have been deep in the woods, on my motorcycle, behind the wheel, all would have spelled disaster. This was just a scary wake up call.

The other good thing is I think I've had my last cigarette. My only regret in life I think is finally behind me. Mrs. Rookie will be happy.

I'll have to give up 2/3 of my coffee. No more 6-8 cups a day. I'll find a way to make that work. It won't be easy, but I guess it's something I have to do in my transition from middle age to codger to old coot.

Lots of good things wrapped up in that one post. Wishing you well, buddy.

Thank you, everyone! This has been a very rough and scary week for me. I thought I was too young (40) for these problems. I still think that, to be honest.

The good news is that I might not need that surgery after all. The result of testing show I don't really need the defibrillator, although it probably wouldn't hurt anything.

After lengthy conversations with Mrs. Rookie, my pipes and tobacco can stay. For now at least. I just had to promise not to inhale. But the tangible psychological wellness they provide more than offsets any theoretical harm they might. So that's good, for now. That's subject to change if needed though. If it does, I plan on screwing up Al's cellar with a few duty paid samples of tobaccos he won't be able to get again 🙃 for starters!

And I have never been looking forward to a shave more in my life! Since I left the army, I've never been a fan of shaving. I went the DE route, then shavette, because I wanted shaving to suck less. And it has since I started doing it right. But shaving is still up there with cleaning the gutters. Well, after a week of not being able to, I'm looking forward to that bit of luxury. So a little bit of the lavender soap on my badger brush and a fresh blade in my Facon. And I think I'll treat myself to moving the electric kettle up and getting a scalding hot luxurious shave. And then the Codger's Delight mixture on my porch swing.

And that's the plan for now.

Update. Mrs. Rookie just asked me how much of my (roughly $100) former cigarette budget am I now putting towards pipes. My heart monitor just flatlined then spiked with that realization! That's like a new Dunhill pipe a month!

Ok, it's time to cruise SP for Virginia and vapers to cellar. Do I get a metric ton of cheap shag to age? Or spend the money on quality and watch that get better? Hmm.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Update. Mrs. Rookie just asked me how much of my (roughly $100) former cigarette budget am I now putting towards pipes. My heart monitor just flatlined then spiked with that realization! That's like a new Dunhill pipe a month!

Ok, it's time to cruise SP for Virginia and vapers to cellar. Do I get a metric ton of cheap shag to age? Or spend the money on quality and watch that get better? Hmm.
Well now. Looks like you have full brain function 😂.

I hear you on the shaving! After my five day hospital stay in Covid land, shaving was near the top of the list.
I'm glad to hear you are on the mend. And kudos to Mrs. Rookie for the offer of sharing in the cigarette money.

Top Bottom