What's new

So you talked me into it

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Kilo ton, unless that's not a thing? I'll just do it right from now on and use centi liters for length.

:facep: Tons aren't metric.

"kt"can also refer to velocity in knots (not metric either), or the purity of gold... if you use the US spelling of carat :lol1: Nice try though :D Those new fangled 18th and 19th century units of measurement can be quite tricky 🤣

16019318740115057680089454467313.jpg16019318280214124609387100978539.jpg
16019319661085110235371292277793.jpg
So that's what an Old Dominion corn cob pipe looks like. Just a hollowed out cob and reed stem, which is really quite comfortable to clench for a minute or two. I think a good vaper is in order this evening to break it in.

Attachments

• 16019319327357239132092055890429.jpg
    16019319327357239132092055890429.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
View attachment 1164515View attachment 1164514
View attachment 1164517
So that's what an Old Dominion corn cob pipe looks like. Just a hollowed out cob and reed stem, which is really quite comfortable to clench for a minute or two. I think a good vaper is in order this evening to break it in.
I have some unsmoked MM cobs that are built like old dominion pipes. I'm curious to hear your review on it. I haven't purchased an old dominion because the ones I have found are more expensive then MM pipes and seem to be made more cheaply I guess...but if they are superior smokers then the added cash is worth it.

Ok, this is definitely a cob in smoking. It has that cobby feel. But it's a wonderfully cool smoke with 2 coins of LFB crushed in. And a pretty slow one at that.

This reed stem is interesting. It's hard and brittle feeling like acrylic, but softer. It's entire weight is out front by nature of its design. So it's not a clencher at all. The cob is unfinished, if you like that sort of thing. But I think I'll wear down the fuzzy areas where I naturally hold it. And it's stupid simple, there's only 2 parts.

I'm about halfway through the bowl, smoking at a pretty moderate pace, so it'll last me a good 45 minutes I think. Been a couple relights, but it's a new pipe that I haven't learned yet.

All in all, is it worth twice the price of a similar MM? I won't pretend to answer that. If cobs aren't your thing, this will do nothing to change your mind. If you're the kind who likes to support a small company that uses heirloom corn and natural reeds, they're certainly something different.16020352056714664188706474589909.jpg

Attachments

• 16020352362391067946698777863102.jpg
    16020352362391067946698777863102.jpg
    822.3 KB · Views: 3

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ok, this is definitely a cob in smoking. It has that cobby feel. But it's a wonderfully cool smoke with 2 coins of LFB crushed in. And a pretty slow one at that.

This reed stem is interesting. It's hard and brittle feeling like acrylic, but softer. It's entire weight is out front by nature of its design. So it's not a clencher at all. The cob is unfinished, if you like that sort of thing. But I think I'll wear down the fuzzy areas where I naturally hold it. And it's stupid simple, there's only 2 parts.

I'm about halfway through the bowl, smoking at a pretty moderate pace, so it'll last me a good 45 minutes I think. Been a couple relights, but it's a new pipe that I haven't learned yet.

All in all, is it worth twice the price of a similar MM? I won't pretend to answer that. If cobs aren't your thing, this will do nothing to change your mind. If you're the kind who likes to support a small company that uses heirloom corn and natural reeds, they're certainly something different.View attachment 1165061
I prefer unfinished pipes and next time I’m ordering an unfinished Country Gentleman. I like the way they feel in hand and and the light weight that makes clinching easier since I usually smoke cobs when I’m driving.

So the mailman came through during dinner as always. Usually it's bills, charities, or (lately) political candidates asking for money. Or one of Mrs. Rookie's magazines. And today was no different really. Except for these. 1602197847397572519671068136486.jpg
I got them, 4 ounces of Sutliff Field and Stream Match, and 5 boxes of CH (because running out is stupid). I'm happy to have that Carter Hall. All the boutique tobaccos, limited drops, Unobtanium laced leaves that exist in the world and I'm over here saying "Yay! My drugstore tobacco pouches are here!"

The bent Dublin, being a Heritage line, came in a very nice tin which I'll have to get a picture of. I'll get that picture soon before it becomes my motorcycle pipe storage device. The draw is a hair restricted from the bend and filter I think. It's not really open. But I was thinking a Dublin bowl for vapers, and I don't really want to hit those as hard. But for that, it's a delightfully balanced jaw hanger that feels good in the hand.

The Canadian is a long sucker! Easily the longest I have, but that's not a bad thing at all. Being that far from my eyes, I can admire the grain while I'm clenching. Although this isn't really a clencher. It'll work for a minute, but this belongs in the hand. It has a nice wide open draw as well. Not cobby levels open, but I can't feel the filter. It feels like the pipe has a universal carburetor in it, it'll burn anything.

I look forward to giving you guys some reports soon!

So it turns out @steveclarkus wasn't feeding us a line of bull about Sutliff Ready Rub. That's really a very good smoke. Subtle cocoa flavors that compliment the natural taste of tobacco. Definitely one in only going to run out of once. Once it was lit, it took off to the top 3 codger blends (along with CH and Field and Stream Match). The only drawback from the smoke last night was somewhere in the first third of the bowl a small chunk got lodged in the airway of the bowl causing a bit tighter draw and some gurgling. The gurgling was an easy fix, turn up the volume on my headphones. But I couldn't get a cleaner through the bent stem of the other new pipe I got.

I ended up with 4 new pipes this week. My 2 Brigham pipes, that Old Dominion, and this little number. A Savinelli bent billiard that was a gift from a friend/ mentor.16023404408842756747240170822345.jpg Yes, I've been waiting for those Brighams for too long and I've really been looking forward to trying them. But this one means more to me, being a gift from someone I think very highly of. It turns out that bowl is absolutely perfect for scooping tobacco from a jar. And it's big enough to spend a serious amount of quality time on the porch. Solid in the hand, light in the jaw as a good pipe should be.

To tell the truth, last night was the first evening front porch pipe I've had since I think Tuesday. Work has been kicking my butt lately. I've been going to bed early. Usually a pipe on the porch is my reward for surviving the day. And I can't be done with the day if the kids are still up, because the kids will follow me out and keep me from really relaxing with a book and pipe and music with headphones. But I've been too worn out to do that this week. I've been going to bed at the same time as the kids. And next week will be just as bad.

But I've wrangled some quality time amongst the trees of my local state parks this weekend. Just me, that bent Dublin, and a good vaper. I hope to have that first bowl sitting on a log listening to the birds and wind rustling through the leaves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom