What's new

So...Who keeps Fishes?

Here's a picture I took of me showing my GF the fish tank I got. It was a bit expensive but it's worth keeping.. the maintenance is a killer.

$db_077_Deuce_Kate.jpg

I have a little 10 gallon planted freshwater tank with a half dozen tetras, upsidedown catfish, a plecko, and one male betta. It's very temping to get a larger one but I don't want to dedicate that kind of time or expenditure - I already have too many expensive hobbies!!

As Promised:

I wanted my tank to look natural, like a river bottom.
proxy.php

Love Neon Tetras, awesome natural colors. Not chemically enhanced like like so many fish today.
proxy.php

Zebra Danio - My tank bullies, and fast, always moving. Took forever to get this picture.
proxy.php

Cory Cat - Bottom feeders are just too cool. These guys are spazzy. I think the camera spooked them, they'd take off any time I tried to get near them to get a shot.
proxy.php

Ghost Shrimp - Tank Invertebrates are cool, and these are sold as feeders so they are cheap.
proxy.php

Pleco - always loved these, they look prehistoric.
proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Despite its ghastly appearance, a Pleco is a very sweet and useful fish.

I have a little 10 gallon planted freshwater tank with a half dozen tetras, upsidedown catfish, a plecko, and one male betta. It's very temping to get a larger one but I don't want to dedicate that kind of time or expenditure - I already have too many expensive hobbies!!

You're going to need at least a 29g soon with a plec. I've had them get up to 14 inches.

Despite its ghastly appearance, a Pleco is a very sweet and useful fish.

I love the very primordial sort of look the pleco's rock with! I can imagine them to be like sharks and such, that haven't evolved in a few million years, because they already hit the pinnacle of awesome and just stuck with it. :D

My grandson brought home a 1 inch comet goldfish from school in a small jar. He won it as a prize. I set up my 37 gallon tank on a stand in my kitchen and added the goldfish. The goldfish is now more than 5 inches long and comes to the front of the tank looking for food everytime anyone passes by. The kids all like to watch and feed him. One fish in a large tank is a lot easier to care for than a tank with a lot of fish, or a small fish tank.

I'm very recent to the aquarium hobby... recent as in within the last 3 months. I'm enjoying it so far, tho. :) I'll try to get pictures of the tanks up here tomorrow... or maybe tonight.

Well ... I don't have a tank anymore. But its my Dad's hobby ... big time. :wink2:
I think I'm gonna post some pictures of them in some days.

Nothing special, just whatever bulb came with the aquarium kit.

OK. If you have a florescent bulb you might be ok. At least one of those plants requires high wattage to thrive...or even to live. I had a fully planted tank (a 55 gallon) with a two compact florescent bulbs at one time, plus I was pumping in CO2. If your plants eventually turn to mush go for something that doesn't require a lot of wpg (watts per gallon) like a crypt or anubias.

The kids all like to watch and feed him. One fish in a large tank is a lot easier to care for than a tank with a lot of fish, or a small fish tank.

Very true! I have a 55g with two small jewel cichlids, a 14g with another jewel and a 55g with one Jack Dempsey cichlid. I have a 29g salt with one fish. I have a total of a total of six tanks at home. I take care of a doctor's 180g that is crammed with fish and it is the most difficult due to the number of fish.

Top Bottom