What's new

So...Who keeps Fishes?

Not sure if this thread has been created or not, if so this one is going to be better :001_tt2:. But who here keeps fish tanks and post your pictures! I would love to get a little discussion going about the topic as aquatics is my other big time hobby. I have 4 tanks at the minute soon to be 5. 3 of which are back home two 29 gallons and a 90 gallon. The big 90 gallon houses 7 Angels, a shoal of roughly 25 seprea tetras, 3 YoYo Loaches, an Albino B/N trio and some corydora. One 29 has my Angelfish Pair and Albino Bristle Nose Breeding pair (recently made into trio), along with a few Tetras. The other 29 gallon is a mix small chiclid tank. The other tank I currently have up and running is my 2 gallon pico reef in my dorm room which takes the most upkeep. It houses a baby clownfish, peppermint shrimp, dwarf blue legged hermit and a Turbo Snail. Along with some Zoathids and Clove Polyps. I will upload pictures shortly but for now what do you guys have?

I haven't kept fish for a few years now, but I got into it pretty heavy while in college since I couldn't have a dog.

At my peak, I had 55g and 30g fresh water tanks going along with a 10g salt water setup. Some of the fish I've kept over the years include:

Bala sharks
Tiger barbs
Neon Tetras
Pictus cats
Loaches
Plecos (common and exotic)
Otocinclus
Clownfish
Turbo snails
Ghost shrimp

Now that I'm thinking about it, the very first forum I was ever a part of was Badman's Tropical Fish...wonder if those guys are still going?

I've since graduated from college, got married, and now have my own home, so priorities have shifted away from fish to three dogs, two bearded dragons, and a cat. :eek:

Someday I'll get one of the tanks up again...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
After many long years I have come to the conclusion that it's just easier to flush my money directly down the toilet.

It's a wonderful hobby, but you need to stay on top of things.

After many long years I have come to the conclusion that it's just easier to flush my money directly down the toilet.

and I always use to say it would be cheaper for me to pick up a dedicated coke habit.

I too got the fish bug hard in college. I ended up turning it into a rather successful business maintaining reef tanks, building custom tanks and electronics. Years later its sad to look back and realize I probably made as much money doing that as I do as an engineer. I got burned out big time and liquidated everything except for one tank thats sitting empty in my parents basement.

a month ago, a buddy gave me a 20gal acrylic cube setup for free. I'm currently cycling it to be a very simple saltwater setup.
I'm also starting to move the tank out of my parents basement. Its an oceanic 46gal bow tank with a 20gal sump. I'm thinking of making it a planted loach tank.... time will tell.

I keep some salmon, tilapia, and catfish in my freezer. Does that count?

Actually, I used to have a 40 gallon tank with a bunch of cichlids, but go tired of the maintenance on the tank after several years...and of moving it every time we moved.

That reminds me of a Garfield strip where Jon's parents are visiting and Jon's Dad is holding a rooster and says, "say cat, when do you want up, around where we're from get up with the chickens" Garfield says, "so do we" then he grabs the Dad's neck and shows his razor teeth and says, "but around here, our chickens are in the freezer!"

I love that cartoon strip.

I keep some salmon, tilapia, and catfish in my freezer. Does that count?

Actually, I used to have a 40 gallon tank with a bunch of cichlids, but go tired of the maintenance on the tank after several years...and of moving it every time we moved.

Where to start. I have a 125 with wild caught Tropheus, a 75 with wild caught Red Rainbow Tropheus, a 30 with F1 compressiseps that I raised, a pair of bushy nose plecos a few Petros in two 55 gallon tanks, a trio of Daffodil Brichardi, a wild caught pair of Milema Red-Dot Brichardis. I am down to 12 tanks from 19 right now. I have only been raising fish for about 40+ years.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I had just about every legal to own freshwater fish(in Hawaii) that eats other fish for lunch. Arowanas, Pacus, Oscars, etc. After a while that gets kinda spendy too. Especially when you drop 75 feeder comets in the tank, and when you wake up in the morning they are all gone...

At one point I was begged by some friends who were moving to take their small 10g tank that had two tiny little oscars and a small pleco. I said, "hey, aren't those guys going to grow too big for this tank?" They said, "Nope. They grow in proportion to their living space, so don't worry. If you want to have really big oscars, get a really big tank. If you want to keep them small and cute, keep them in this tank." So I said, "OK, I'll take it."

Ha! What a crock. Those guys were too big for that tank within a month of adopting it. I had to go out and buy a 55g tank for them and they got REALLY huge. I kept the 10g tank operational for comets, but mostly fed the oscars pelletized food and frozen stuff. The oscars were fun, though. They would get excited to see me when I got home from work and were very interactive. When the oscars died, I moved the comets into the 55g and let them grow into giant, beautiful Koi-like fish. Kept them for a decade along with the ever-lasting Pleco.

In the meantime I set up a little nano-reef tank. It was awesome. Had a nassarius snail, a peppermint shrimp, an emerald crab, plus all the tiny little cool things that lived on the live rock (a little urchin, clam, couple of tiny starfish and micro-brittle stars). Very cool tank. Had to really pay attention to parameters, but it was cool.

When it was time to have children, I closed up the 10g tank and the nano reef and brought the critters to a pet shop. We still have the 55g going, but it only has a huge (9") 10 yr old Bala Shark and a handsome big, beefy Spotted Pimelodus catfish. I'd add more fish, but these guys can't be trusted with any fish too small or docile. The good thing is that they appear to be pals and hang out together. The other good thing is that the tank is in a really good bio zone like this and I hardly have to do anything for the water quality other than infrequent partial changes.

proxy.php

I currently have a 75g With Mbuna. White Top Hara Afra's (2m4f) Yellow labs (8 unsexed) Maingano's (8 adult, 1 juvie from in tank spawn) ABN pleco's (spawning mff trio) and two green aneus cory cat's. I tried doing the Central/South American thing, as the Electric Blue Jack Dempsey had me hooked! What a pain those are to raise. Almost made me give up on the hobby and call it quits. The wife and daughter talked me into getting back to the African lakes. I'm glad I listened to them!

I only have a few crappy pictures available right now as I just re installed windows earlier this week. Here is the only decent one of my Pico-Reef. The Clownfish must have been swimming behind the live rock as you can only see the shrimp in the picture. The shrimp is standing on a pink/green clove polyp colony, the rock to the right has a Neon green clove colony and up top there is a small Zoa Frag (all the corals happen to be half closed too -.-). I haven't really done much in the way of livestock due to the volume and the fact it is a newer tank. Excuse the messy lighting also as I was between the two fixtures and decided I didn't like either so I have another on the way. Also ordered Automatic Top Off to keep salinity constant at which point I will add some more corals. I'll take better pictures later in the week!
$2012-02-20_21-27-06_536.jpg

Last edited:
Alex,

Handsome tank, Man. I can't wait to set up another small reef tank once the children are a little older. I loved my little shrimp when I had him. Does that guy come up to eat from you?

Thanks guys! I really am partial to that tank myself, salt is just so much more fun :drool:. As for hand feeding I haven't really tried yet, although he will come flying to the surface to try and steal pellets from the clownfish. He does have a lot of character also...First one to inspect anything new or climb all over to see you. I actually called him (curious) George haha

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I practice catch-and-release...:001_tt2:

Just kidding, as a kid and teen I had an aquarium, some 25 gal freshwater with either south American or African chichlids.

I have one 29 gallon tank with one fish in it I got from wally world about 3 years ago. That sucker is still going strong. It's gotta be some kind of record or something ;)

Top Bottom