What's new

So, what exactly is a shaving rotation?

I rotate boars in just to see if I will ever get a good lather with them, otherwise I would have thrown them away long ago. Hopefully some day I'll figure it out.

I'm not saying that boar brushes don't work. They tend to eat up more lather than synthetics so I load heavier to account for that.

By small amount, I meant like loading from 1 gram in a bowl, not loading from 50 grams. Given the same amount of soap, synthetics will produce more lather than boars. I've seen this every time I lather and I'm almost certain now.

It's like saying it takes more time for a bowling ball to fall than the time it takes for a feather to fall. Every time I conducted this experiment, bowling ball falls quicker than a feather (in a sense where synthetic produces more lather than boars). Now I'm generalizing the boars/synthetics. For example, you can drop a 1gram bowling ball vs 50lbs of feather and say it's wrong. True but I'm saying this in a typical situation not these outliers.

Not wanting to argue but just stating my case.
I'm not wanting to argue, either, just trying to make sense of what you are reporting, because it doesn't match my experience, or that of a lot of other people. I mean where does this lather being "eaten" disappear to?
:confused1

I'm loading about 1 gram of Cella per shave from a 50 gram container. If you look at other peoples reported consumption, the average is in the 1.0 - 1.5 gram per shave range. That means I should get 30-50 shaves from 50 grams. From that 1 gram of soap, I can get three passes easily, using a huge boar brush, the Omega 49. During the last pass, I will squeeze out most lather retained in the brush and use it to shave with. My soap consumption seems typical, not excessive. I don't see lather being "eaten" by this boar brush.

I'm not wanting to argue, either, just trying to make sense of what you are reporting, because it doesn't match my experience, or that of a lot of other people. I mean where does this lather being "eaten" disappear to?

I'm loading about 1 gram of Cella per shave from a 50 gram container. If you look at other peoples reported consumption, the average is in the 1.0 - 1.5 gram per shave range. That means I should get 30-50 shaves from 50 grams. From that 1 gram of soap, I can get three passes easily, using a huge boar brush, the Omega 49. During the last pass, I will squeeze out most lather retained in the brush and use it to shave with. My soap consumption seems typical, not excessive. I don't see lather being "eaten" by this boar brush.
Any idea approximately how many shaves on that brush, or how many years you've been using it? Just curious.

The bristles literally eat the lather. Unless there's a magical hole in my lather bowl, my boar just absorbs the soap and water and leaves me with less-than-satisfying lather. I definitely have better result loading from the puck rather than scooping out a small sample. I know a lot of people that testify this with boars but I also know many that lather fine.

Here was a little test today:

Bowl lather + palm lather with Stirling boar and Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic.
Cella: Left sample is for boar (slightly more) and right sample is for synthetic.

IMG_20200419_120928305~2.jpg

IMG_20200419_121108631~2.jpg
IMG_20200419_122234120~2.jpg

Here is the result with boar ........................................ And with the synthetic

IMG_20200419_121855618~2.jpg
IMG_20200419_123126679~2.jpg

Clear difference for me. Although there is lather built with the boar, it would give me barely a two pass. The lather has big bubbles and is less. With the synthetic, I know I can get 5+ passes, if I work in more water. It looks creamy and dense.

Another factor is the water hardness. It could be that boars don't take in hard water well.

How this relates to the thread... you get to try all these different brushes/soaps and figure out the best combination! Why not test out different products to get you the best shave? Just don't go too crazy, haha.

Last edited:
most people define razor rotation as "the excuse I use to my wife to explain why I NEED 12 razors in the bathroom. if I use a different one everyday she cant complain"

each razor has charecteristics that make it fun. SOME razors you would NEVER use on say a 5 day growth of beard. Other razors you ONLY want to use on a 5 day growth of beard.

@Timeclo Thanks for taking the time to do this test and show that the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. There’s nothing wrong with boars, just need to soak them first and load more lather yet the fact remains, synthetics are way more efficient compared to boars, even though that’s splitting hairs since most soap is so cheap, it’s still true and why face-lathering shave sticks with a synthetic is so dang satisfying and fast....

@Timeclo Thanks for taking the time to do this test and show that the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. There’s nothing wrong with boars, just need to soak them first and load more lather yet the fact remains, synthetics are way more efficient compared to boars, even though that’s splitting hairs since most soap is so cheap, it’s still true and why face-lathering shave sticks with a synthetic is so dang satisfying and fast....
No problem. That's all I wanted to say and show. I still love my boars as they have excellent face feel. Synthetics are a bit fool-proof while you need to know what you're doing with boars. I still remember my first ever lather with my Omega 10066 and Ogallala soap and getting nothing to shave with (The soap also burned my skin so that made it worse, haha).

I'm guessing about 60-70 lathers with it. It did have a break in period, and started getting really good after maybe 20 lathers.
This is one of the reasons I rotate stuff. Would drive me crazy to use it every day but hopefully over time my boars will improve and I'll figure them out.

I'll have to try a similar test when I get a chance. I seldom bowl lather, though, just load off the puck and go straight to the face with it.

I'll have to try a similar test when I get a chance. I seldom bowl lather, though, just load off the puck and go straight to the face with it.
Same. I just started bowl lathering because I have some scrubby brushes that I want to save some exfoliation with. Also, my Cella is discolouring a bit so I'm scooping samples instead of introducing more water to the puck.

I like this concept. Since im so new to it all i have been using exactly the same razor, brand of blade and soap. But i must have been a bit too heavy handed one day and woke up with a razor burn rash thing down the side of the neck. I just skipped a day of shaving but i think your suggestion is a good one for when i am more experienced!

I rotate brushes to give them a chance to dry fully. I rotate soaps mainly for what scent I want that day but also to use them up so I can put other soaps, I bought to try, into my rotation (I try to limit my soap rotation to under 15) . I rotate razors more on a whim then anything else.

Ain't it nice to have the luxury of choices.

Well you spin the razor on a flat surface with choices like
Gentle kiss
Smooth kiss
Comfy kiss
Bloody kiss
Massacre kiss

Do not forget de razors have two sides and can do both sides of the circle in one shave 🥺

I have seen a lot of folks mention how different razors are part of their shaving rotation. Can someone elaborate on exactly what this means?

I get that it means probably using different razors over a period of time but why build a rotation and not just use 1 razor? If someone could explain I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Your suggestion makes about as much sense as trying to convince Jay Leno to only drive one car from his collection. Where'd be the fun in that??

I "rotate" soaps between the 9 that I have. There is only one DE in my house so no rotating that. There are about 10 straight razors that I rotate though just based on what looks good that day and what I haven't used for a while.

:huh:
Natural brushes absorb water, true, but they can only hold a certain amount before becoming saturated. So, the way to deal with this is to soak the brush until it won't absorb any more water.

I can shave with Cella using any boar brush I have and easily get three or four passes. Is this magic? No, I just soak the brush for five or ten minutes before lathering up.
[/QUOTE
Me too. I always soak my brushes before using them.

Hi,

I rotate only during October when we have an Open Comb month (OCtober). I then have a seven-day OC set and change my razor daily:

Those are arranged by year, oldest on the left.

The other months of the year I use the Fasan DoubleSlant every day. That's the one on the far right.

Stan

I have seen a lot of folks mention how different razors are part of their shaving rotation. Can someone elaborate on exactly what this means?

I get that it means probably using different razors over a period of time but why build a rotation and not just use 1 razor? If someone could explain I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Shaving rotation in a nutshell:

Husband: "hmm.. not sure which razor I want to use today"

Wife: "Are you KIDDING me!? I've been ready for an hour and you haven't even shaved yet!?!?"

Husband: "YOU don't understand!"

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Thanks.
There really is no reason to use more than one razor, soap or aftershave if you are happy with what you have and it is working well. I have an affliction of buying straight razors but the rest of the stuff doesn’t really entice me.

Top Bottom