What's new

So, what exactly is a shaving rotation?

I have seen a lot of folks mention how different razors are part of their shaving rotation. Can someone elaborate on exactly what this means?

I get that it means probably using different razors over a period of time but why build a rotation and not just use 1 razor? If someone could explain I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

I have seen a lot of folks mention how different razors are part of their shaving rotation. Can someone elaborate on exactly what this means?

I get that it means probably using different razors over a period of time but why build a rotation and not just use 1 razor? If someone could explain I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Because many like to collect razors and it's more fun using them than pretending your bathroom err "den" is a museum.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

oh I thought it ment you keept your razor still and spun your head round . rotation is a good thing as if you use different razors it keeps you aware of the fact that you have a sharp bit of steel to your throat as using one razor you get complacent over time and need reminding of the ouch factor.

It's exactly what you think, and some of us really enjoy the variety. Yes, I have favorite razors, etc, but I still like some variety. For me, I usually make my decisions based on what strikes me on a given day (especially the soap), and that can be based on weather at least partially. Currently, I'm doing blade testing, so I'm sticking to one razor for a full round of testing. Otherwise, it wouldn't really be a fair way to compare blades. For the next round, I'm likely to use a different razor because I realize some blades might work better in different razors, and I want to get a feel for which blades work best for me.

And there is nothing wrong with using two or more razors in the same shave.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Nobody eats the same food every day ... But eventually you'll come back to bbq, chinese, Mexican, viking, Ethiopean etc.

AA

For many people, wet shaving is a hobby and a necessity. Many hobbyists collect. Same applies here.

Because I see so many different SOTDs and great reviews on all the shaving products, I get curious about that product. If I can get a good deal on it, I'll probably try it out. I definitely have a solid rotation but couple here and there won't hurt. :c9:

You can rotate any shaving item whether it be soap, razor, blade, brush, aftershave or whatever for each shave you perform! I would highly advise against this practice, at least in the beginning, if you are new to this since you might be working on building up a skill whether it be holding your razor or lathering your soap. Imagine learning how to drive a car on day 1 and then changing to a car, minivan, truck, 68 Camaro every day......you'll have to adjust the seat, put the radio back on the right jazz station, and get used to how the vehicle accelerates, handles, etc. I did the whole rotation thing early on with soaps and didn't make lather properly for months, since each soap required something different like more water, different load time, etc.

If I were you, I'd use all the same pieces of gear for the first 30 shaves. Change your blade after 3 shaves or a week, but don't change the brand, unless it doesn't work for you for whatever reason, then keep looking while keeping everything else the same. Once you dial it all in go ahead and change something and.....expect to readjust everything again. If you change a bunch of variables and something goes wrong, you'll never know what it was and how to fix it. And welcome to the B&B!

Variety is the spice of life. You don't have to change razors every day. I mainly use four razors, and will use one for a week or two before changing up. I also have a very mild razor I like to use on days when I want to give my skin a break.

That makes sense to me.

Just the way my brain is wired, I was looking at things from the optimal solution standpoint. If there is one razor that is giving you the best balance of quality and comfort compared to the other razors. Then why change it?

It would make sense if you need to rest your skin (like you said). Or you shave irregularly (like I do) to use different razors based on beard growth.

You can rotate any shaving item whether it be soap, razor, blade, brush, aftershave or whatever for each shave you perform! I would highly advise against this practice, at least in the beginning, if you are new to this since you might be working on building up a skill whether it be holding your razor or lathering your soap. Imagine learning how to drive a car on day 1 and then changing to a car, minivan, truck, 68 Camaro every day......you'll have to adjust the seat, put the radio back on the right jazz station, and get used to how the vehicle accelerates, handles, etc. I did the whole rotation thing early on with soaps and didn't make lather properly for months, since each soap required something different like more water, different load time, etc.

If I were you, I'd use all the same pieces of gear for the first 30 shaves. Change your blade after 3 shaves or a week, but don't change the brand, unless it doesn't work for you for whatever reason, then keep looking while keeping everything else the same. Once you dial it all in go ahead and change something and.....expect to readjust everything again. If you change a bunch of variables and something goes wrong, you'll never know what it was and how to fix it. And welcome to the B&B!

Man, I hate it when people just give flat out good advice.

@fistfullofbeer , I’m warning you, sensible advice is even worse!

Yeah makes sense. I work in IT Infrastructure and get the gist of what you are saying. Making too many changes at the same time not only increases the chances of causing a problem but also identifying it.

I have purchased a couple of different razors and blades over the last week or two and am excited to try them all out but I will definitely need to do a job slowly easing into the changes.

Yeah makes sense. I work in IT Infrastructure and get the gist of what you are saying. Making too many changes at the same time not only increases the chances of causing a problem but also identifying it.

I have purchased a couple of different razors and blades over the last week or two and am excited to try them all out but I will definitely need to do a job slowly easing into the changes.

Which razors and blades?
What's your stubble like?
How often do you shave?

I ask because some razors might work for one person, yet not another with the same stubble, simply based on different shave intervals. Same with blades, one that's good for 3 days of growth might be too much used as a daily driver. There's nothing like dialing in your gear to a repeatable and reliable buttery smooth shave!

Which razors and blades?
What's your stubble like?
How often do you shave?

I ask because some razors might work for one person, yet not another with the same stubble, simply based on different shave intervals. Same with blades, one that's good for 3 days of growth might be too much used as a daily driver. There's nothing like dialing in your gear to a repeatable and reliable buttery smooth shave!

I bought a SE as well as a DE razor and different blades for both.

Razors:

ATT SE1 and SE2 plate
Rockwell 6S (all 3 plates)

Blades:

Feather AC Pro
Feather AC Pro Guard
Schick Injector

Gillette Silver Blue
Astra Platinum

I generally shave once every 3 days. Sometimes go up to a week without shaving.

I bought a SE as well as a DE razor and different blades for both.

Razors:

ATT SE1 and SE2 plate
Rockwell 6S (all 3 plates)

Blades:

Feather AC Pro
Feather AC Pro Guard
Schick Injector

Gillette Silver Blue
Astra Platinum

I generally shave once every 3 days. Sometimes go up to a week without shaving.

You have quite the variety! Having never used a straight, I can't comment there.

The Gillette Silver Blue is a great blade. Very sharp yet smooth but will absolutely bite you if you slip. Those goes through 4 days of my growth in an aggressive open comb razor in one single pass. The Astra SP is too dull for me. I have some pretty wiry stubble though. I haven't used either of those DE's so am not sure where to recommend you start. I'd head over to the safety razor forum and ask there.

I'd recommend a nice super slick soap to start with. Arko or Tabac are good ones that lather fast and are pretty reliable although have controversial scents to them. I would start face-lathering using shave sticks. I had (and still have) a hard time controlling my lather quality loading from a tub of soap or cream and if someone new to this asked me how to make lather, that's what I'd tell them to do because that's what I do and it works like a charm for me. Go carefully, best of luck!

You have quite the variety! Having never used a straight, I can't comment there.

The Gillette Silver Blue is a great blade. Very sharp yet smooth but will absolutely bite you if you slip. Those goes through 4 days of my growth in an aggressive open comb razor in one single pass. The Astra SP is too dull for me. I have some pretty wiry stubble though. I haven't used either of those DE's so am not sure where to recommend you start. I'd head over to the safety razor forum and ask there.

I'd recommend a nice super slick soap to start with. Arko or Tabac are good ones that lather fast and are pretty reliable although have controversial scents to them. I would start face-lathering using shave sticks. I had (and still have) a hard time controlling my lather quality loading from a tub of soap or cream and if someone new to this asked me how to make lather, that's what I'd tell them to do because that's what I do and it works like a charm for me. Go carefully, best of luck!

Thanks for the input. I did not mention it earlier but I did also buy two Yaqi brushes. One was synthetic and the other was two-tone badger. I also bought a Zingari Man Soap (Sego base) and a Murphy and McNeil soap as well.

The lathering is something I definitely need to work on. I have been more used to just using shaving butter OR using the Proraso Green which has its own bowl to lather up.

Thanks.

People can rotate if they like. Just letting you know that some of us use one razor, one type of blade, one brush and one soap.

Top Bottom