What's new

So What Do You Use as a Home Defense Weapon?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have an 870 DM. I keep a 6 round mag loaded with 2 shells of non-lethal rubber buck, 2 rounds of home defense shot, and 2 rounds of home defense slugs. If the first two shots of non-lethal don’t scare them off, they deserve what’s coming. The wife and I also keep 2 samurai swords in the bedroom. She knows how to use it way better than I do. I keep all the other guns locked up. Nothing ever happens here anyway. But I was a Boy Scout, and always prepare.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
a404432f553e795953bbdcdc5f42fb81~3.jpg

No. They are pointing toward entries and hallways and not any personal areas.

Do they pick up audio?

The reason why I am asking, is that this was my delemma when I was deciding to install cameras inside of the house.

Eventually, I decided to do similar thing what you did (entries and hallways) but I took it a step further and physically cut wiring for microphone (wyze cameras). It was not hard and I am less worried about them being hacked.

Cheers,

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I also find it interesting when folks talk about home defense and say they keep a firearm behind the bedroom door, or under their mattress, or in the nightstand. The vast majority of people keep their weapon of choice in their bedroom. So you are betting on being in your bedroom sleeping when the intruder storms in. ….
What if you are taking a leak? Grabbing a midnight snack? Can’t sleep so chilling in the TV room? Never mind the fact that most burglaries occur during the middle of the day. We seem to think that the crime will occur at the most convenient time for us to be ready for it. Which there is a good chance it won’t.
These are great points and exactly why my “main” HD weapon is in the bedroom but there are also 3 handgun safes stashed around my house for the exact scenarios you mentioned.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Do they pick up audio?

The reason why I am asking, is that this was my delemma when I was deciding to install cameras inside of the house.

Eventually, I decided to do similar thing what you did (entries and hallways) but I took it a step further and physically cut wiring for microphone (wyze cameras). It was not hard and I am less worried about them being hacked.

Cheers,
No audio.

I can legally own to protect myself and my kids from whatever evil darkens my doorstep.[/QUOTE said:
I'm sure whatever illegal weapon found in my home in the aftermath of a dead intruder was the one I wrestled away from him...

“Home defense” involving the use of lethal force is only permissible when one’s life or well being is in serious jeopardy in The US as well, not just Canada.

There are different interpretations of this in various states. Some states follow the "castle doctrine" in which you are allowed to shoot and armed intruder anywhere inside your home to protect your life or that of someone under your care. I live in Illinois where the rule is that you have to retreat as far into your home as you possibly can before confronting an intruder. For me, that would mean giving an intruder free access to my 1st floor and basement while I retreated upstairs to the master bath. As long as the armed intruder does not break down the door to the bathroom, I would not be justified in shooting. Also if an armed intruder is injuried and not killed, he may well file a lawsuit against you for grevious injury. He might testify that all he wanted to do was use your bathroom and you shot him.

There are different interpretations of this in various states. Some states follow the "castle doctrine" in which you are allowed to shoot and armed intruder anywhere inside your home to protect your life or that of someone under your care. I live in Illinois where the rule is that you have to retreat as far into your home as you possibly can before confronting an intruder. For me, that would mean giving an intruder free access to my 1st floor and basement while I retreated upstairs to the master bath. As long as the armed intruder does not break down the door to the bathroom, I would not be justified in shooting. Also if an armed intruder is injuried and not killed, he may well file a lawsuit against you for grevious injury. He might testify that all he wanted to do was use your bathroom and you shot him.
Ridiculous and infuriating. Come into my house uninvited and I'm certain you won't have the opportunity to sue me lol.

Ridiculous and infuriating. Come into my house uninvited and I'm certain you won't have the opportunity to sue me lol.

Yes, living in Illinois can be infuriating. Many people are leaving the state as it is essentially bankrupt, making the problem worse for those left behind. Unfortunately, I do not know where to move. My I need to move to Colorado to be closer to my daughter in the Denver area, but I do not like the politics, high plains desert climate and high cost of living. I could move to Omaha or Kansas City, but that would still leave me 500 miles away.

One friend came home to a busted front door. He couldn’t get through 9-1-1 so he cleared the house himself. A very harrowing experience.

I did that once in my 20's. Would never clear a house again. I'm too old and it is too dangerous.

Life is full of risks. I do not burden myself with trying to mitigate every risk that I can think of. I only try to mitigate those risks that are more common. Fortunately home invasions that is actually physically threatening is extremely rare wherever I have lived or visited during my life. I am also not such a materialistic person that I need to harm another to "protect" my possessions.

Of course others may be in a different environment and/or think more of their material possessions.

It isn't about protecting possessions. When a criminal has broken into an occupied home where residents are unarmed the criminal controls the outcome. I will not entrust my well being to a criminal.

Learned the hard way being unarmed during an attempted home invasion in the 1980's. Bought a shotgun the next day and never lived unarmed since. Nor will I.

Top Bottom