What's new

So What Do You Use as a Home Defense Weapon?

Exactly... I keep a pistol in my headboard when I am sleeping; its job is to get me 60 feet to the rifles of which I can choose from 20 round 7.62 x 51 or 30 round 5.56 x 45 capacity or 12 gage in a street sweeper configuration (Winchester 1300 with pistol grip instead of the stock.
Once you get to your long guns, someone is going to have a very bad (well deserved) day.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
We need to be careful not to stray into politics or political debate.

I know it’s hard to do sometimes when talking about self defense with a firearm, but that is B&B policy and they are very kind to give us this sub forum, which is a pretty cool thing. So always complying with that policy is the least we can do for the privilege of posting here.

We need to always find a way to get our points across and not cross the line of or delve into the politics of our hobby/ interests.

I think we are smart enough to accomplish this? :)

It is legal to use a firearm in Canada for self defense but Canada has a history of decades of political fear-mongering about firearms and so it is difficult to have an intelligent, principled debate about the use of a firearm for self-defence by a citizen. Our divide-and-conquer politicians have frequently and effectively hoisted the spectre of homicidal gun owners, assisted by “journalists” who are willing to substitute moralizing and social engineering for principled fact-finding. We are therefore at a place where calm and rational debate about civilian use of firearms for self-defense has become extremely difficult.

That said, the Criminal Code of Canada is the source of criminal offenses in Canada, not the RCMP (our federal FBI like police), Provincial Police or PAL instructor. Relevant sections of the Code are Section 34 (defense of person) and Section 35 (defense of property).

I would start there if you want to some reliable data.

Cheers and happy Saturday!

Thank you, I will look into this.

OkieStubble

I just live where I don't need a fortress. Feel sorry for you guys who do.

I don’t need a fortress, I just want one. Maybe someone walking down the street casing homes to break into, will see my fortress and move along to an easier place to break into.

I’m thinking about digging a moat around my fortress. Maybe add some crocodiles or sharks with lasers on their heads. :)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
We have no need of a fortress either. I saw it written that we put a lot of thought into our home defense. I like to think of it as more along the lines of family defense. They can have the home and all our worldly possessions. They just can’t have us. I believe that in all these years the neighbors had a car vandalized. They park outside . Our vehicles stay in the garage.
I think our layers of defense came about because of our combined 50+ years in law enforcement.

I cannot post the actual link here, but so you can get an idea of just how things can go sideways…Google “Wexler Naked Meat Mogul Grabbed Gun”.…or along those lines. Only in NJ…….

Well, I suppose if a neighbor had a car vandalized once that would make you fearful. I feel for you.

OkieStubble

Well, I suppose if a neighbor had a car vandalized once that would make you fearful. I feel for you.

Why? He's prepared? Don't need to feel sorry for him. If you're not prepared, don't need to feel sorry for you either.

Until... You find yourself unprepared.

One does not need to feel sorry for those, who are prepared for the expectation of the possible. One only needs to feel sorry for those, who gloat and revel about being unprepared for the possible, as if it isn't or wasn't... Possible.

You do you.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
The “Gauge”. Kids are gone, no worries about overpenetration. Or this on the nightstand

proxy.php

No laser grip, though. Night sights are fine. Light will blind his *** good. 😎

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Why? He's prepared? Don't need to feel sorry for him. If you're not prepared, don't need to feel sorry for you either.

One does not need to feel sorry for those, who are prepared for the expectation of the possible. One only needs to feel sorry for those, who gloat and revel about being unprepared for the possible, as if it isn't or wasn't... Possible.

You do you.

Brilliant. Quote of the year here.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Did not make us feel fearful. I was just explaining why we don’t need a fortress. That’s all that has happened in our neighborhood over many years. Sorry if I didn’t explain myself well.
There is nothing, NOTHING, that makes a neighborhood safer than good, NOSY neighbors. I know where lots of people hide their keys, and we let folks know when we will be out of town. TRUST. But verify? Yes, I have lived here almost 60 years. That is pretty MUCH all the verification needed. My neighbors see me mow the lawn with my revolver. Walk over to chew the fat with my other neighbor knowing that if they are insulted by me wearing a gun under my coat or tee shirt I won't be back until I'm invited. It's a civil right for me. Just as it's their civil right to not have me on their property while I'm packing.

But out here, it's kinda like eastern Kentucky circa 1920. We take care of each other like family.

We had one guy in the last 60 years that did something untoward to another man's wife. Her husband doesn't carry. But werd got out and he's a pariah. Only one guy "neighbors" with him now.

It wasn't MY wife. And I wouldn't have to "handle" it, because she would have taken care of it herself.

So MUCH of the crazy stuff that happens can be avoided by having good neighbors.

I had the cops on speed dial for a jack donkey that inbred pit bulls one summer years ago. He finally got tired of the visits. I was 10 seconds from putting one out of my misery when the police showed up, on my property. It was trying to separate my wife from me. Mr Policeman got out and had a bead on the dog (I had already holstered) just as my "neighbor" pulled into his driveway and called his dog home. I told the police the truth, the guy was breeding dogs, showed up to feed them, didn't care if they got loose, and I will shoot the next one that crosses onto my property.

Awesome policeman drove over to the neighbor and within the week the dogs were staying somewhere else.

Sometimes I just want to be able to protect myself before the police show up. I've had rabid raccoons walk out of the woods, coyotes in broad daylight twenty yards from my toddler.... 911 can't be everywhere all the time.

You do you.

Oh you misunderstand me. It's fine to be prepared. I certainly am for most things likely to come my way.

I meant I feel for people who have become fearful due to events happening around them. Certainly for those who have lived more sheltered lives a neighbor's car being vandalized could be quite traumatizing. My neighborhood is a quiet, dark and very safe semi-rural situation but we do have kids of all ages - old people moving on, young couples/families moving in - and occasionally a car will be vandalized or a house TP'd. "Boys will be boys" as they say. Some people get quite riled up by it, but in general I think people feel pretty secure. So we're lucky that way.

I guess the wildlife can be a nuisance sometimes but black bear are pretty timid and lions scare easily. House cats vs. foxes though - now there is an ongoing battle! edit: no pitbull breeders though fortunately! I couldn't tolerate that. We have two pitties ourselves. I suppose they're part of my security system but only in the "optics" department. They'd defend us if it came down to it I reckon but property? They'd make a good go of trying to lick a burglar to death maybe....

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Oh you misunderstand me. It's fine to be prepared. I certainly am for most things likely to come my way.

I meant I feel for people who have become fearful due to events happening around them. Certainly for those who have lived more sheltered lives a neighbor's car being vandalized could be quite traumatizing. My neighborhood is a quiet, dark and very safe semi-rural situation but we do have kids of all ages - old people moving on, young couples/families moving in - and occasionally a car will be vandalized or a house TP'd. "Boys will be boys" as they say. Some people get quite riled up by it, but in general I think people feel pretty secure. So we're lucky that way.

I guess the wildlife can be a nuisance sometimes but black bear are pretty timid and lions scare easily. House cats vs. foxes though - now there is an ongoing battle! edit: no pitbull breeders though fortunately! I couldn't tolerate that. We have two pitties ourselves. I suppose they're part of my security system but only in the "optics" department. They'd defend us if it came down to it I reckon but property? They'd make a good go of trying to lick a burglar to death maybe....
Well, I definitely apologize good sir, If I have misunderstood a couple of your last posts.

I hope the same for you in that, if you think we are prepared or armed to the teeth because we feel scared?

If so, then you also, have quite possibly, misunderstood us. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Honestly, thank Whomever it is that you do for your blessings of the neighborhood you have. Our neighbors across the street had a pit bull/lab mix that just had to be put down. My wife cried. She watched it when they were gone, letting her out, feeding.... My son was a tiny guy when they got her from a rescue and he'd play with her. I often thought "I pity the fool that tried anything with anyone on 'her' property." But she was mostly a flop artist looking for belly rubs.

I live in a nice place but, my personal experience taught me to be ready for anything.

I have good locks, lights, and cameras. If anyone is stupid enough to force entry we have a plan that allows for defense in depth and emergency egress from all three floors of the house. Each family member has a bug out bag, cell phones, tactical flashlights and knows where to go and what to do. Yup we run Immediate Action Drills.

There are six very sharp Ka-Bar knives strategically placed, a CRKT M16 and Spydeco on my body, a 12 gauge loaded with 5 BBB and 5 more on sleeve, a Daniel Defense M4 with six mags, three 22s (that wife can handle and shoots well), and one pissed off Marine trained to use every weapon and experienced in close combat.

Not the right place to come calling.

Top Bottom