What's new

So sharp its scary

Let me throw the YMMV and IMHO disclaimer out there to begin with, because I'm sure a lot will dissagree with me. Here it goes.

GEMS! HOLY CRAP!

Been shaving with my gem 1912 this past week for the first time. I've got it loaded with a gem SE blade from walgreens (made by personna).

I did not think anything could shave as close and be as sharp as a feather loaded into my merkur classic (or any other razor really). I believe these blades, in combination with this razor, are as sharp (or sharper) than feathers! This is the closest shave I believe I have gotten so far since switching to traditional wet shaving.

Seriously I think I could go two days without really needing to shave when using the gem (not gonna though, enjoy it too much).

All that being said, I did get a little burn and a (very small amount) of blood, from these shaves. Nothing serious and nothing the WH didn't take care of though. And I think it was probably from my inexperience shaving with a SE razor combined with the DEADLY SHARP blade. Shaving with a SE is different.

All in all I really like my gem 1912 and will keep it in the rotation.:thumbup1:

1912 and GEM blades are one of my favorite shaves :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quicktip: If you are getting burn or cuts, try to keep the head flatter to your face and use shorter strokes.

1912 and GEM blades are one of my favorite shaves :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quicktip: If you are getting burn or cuts, try to keep the head flatter to your face and use shorter strokes.

yeah I think you are probably right, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the angle exactly right, but I do seem to be improving. It's just like learning the DE technique all over again.

I think the thickness of the single edge blade allows it to take a really keen edge and keep that sharpness longer.

Welcome to the Gemocracy. You have to love these razors.

I'm on week two of shaving with a GEM blade from Walgreens. I really love shaving with a SE. I think the thickness of the blade helps with my thick beard.

yeah I think you are probably right, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the angle exactly right, but I do seem to be improving. It's just like learning the DE technique all over again.

That may be throwing you off, don't think about technique with an SE as they are made to be super simple, keep the head just shy of flat to the face and use short & slow strokes. Angle of attack is not tricky on these.

You will get better and better with the SE.

Been at it for about three weeks, the first two with a 1912 Damaskeene, and this past week with a Mircomatic Clog Pruf.

The Walgreens Gems have been working perfectly for me. I used the same blade for 8 shaves, probably could have stretched to a 9th. But I think I will go for 6 shaves and leave it at that.

Each shave has been great, and each shave is getting better and better.

I will be giving the Micromatic Open Comb a whirl sometime this week.

I did not think anything could shave as close and be as sharp as a feather loaded into my merkur classic (or any other razor really). I believe these blades, in combination with this razor, are as sharp (or sharper) than feathers! This is the closest shave I believe I have gotten so far since switching to traditional wet shaving.

Why do you think I turned to SE :wink2: Wait till you Try a Feather SE blade or a Treet :thumbup1:

Why do you think I turned to SE :wink2: Wait till you Try a Feather SE blade or a Treet :thumbup1:

Saw some treets in the grocery store the other day. The packaging looked identical to the gems by personna for walgreens. In fact on the packgage of treets it said made by American Safety Razor co. Isn't that personna? Could these be the same blades? The instructions on the back were the same and everything. Sorry I do not have a picture to compare.

Saw some treets in the grocery store the other day. The packaging looked identical to the gems by personna for walgreens. In fact on the packgage of treets it said made by American Safety Razor co. Isn't that personna? Could these be the same blades? The instructions on the back were the same and everything. Sorry I do not have a picture to compare.

ASR is Personna, but the Treet blades are different than the Gems from Walgreens. The Treet blades are uncoated carbon steel, and are my favorite SE blade. They will rust rather quickly of they aren't dried thoroughly right after each use. I also store them in a plastic airtight container.

ASR is Personna, but the Treet blades are different than the Gems from Walgreens. The Treet blades are uncoated carbon steel, and are my favorite SE blade. They will rust rather quickly of they aren't dried thoroughly right after each use. I also store them in a plastic airtight container.

Ok, so probably produced by same company or even factory just a different blade. I do remember the walgreens saying stainless steel and the treets did not. I will have to give the treets a try!

Ok, so probably produced by same company or even factory just a different blade. I do remember the walgreens saying stainless steel and the treets did not. I will have to give the treets a try!

Yep. ASR also makes the Blue Star which is carbon steel and CVS drugstores sell their brand that are carbon steel. All are very good and similar blades, it's just a matter of finding whatever is available in your area,and sometimes you can find one brand a bit cheaper. I've found both the 10 packs of Blue Star and Treets for $3.99 at smaller stores, and that is the ussual price for the CVS brand.

ASR also makes PAL carbon steel blades. I don't care for them much, but some guys like them.

My OCMM bit me a few times durring my learning curve, not as much as the Feather DX japanese straight did though! It is pretty aggressive, but Ive tamed it. :thumbup1:

I agree, GEM SS blades are fabulous. But last week I tried a PAL carbon steel blade, and it seemed even sharper than the GEM, though just as comfortable to shave with.

Carbon steel blades are a little higher-maintenance, though. This one started rusting after two days. Next time I use one I'm going to be sure and wipe it down after each shave.

Top Bottom