What's new

So Many Blades to Try

Thank you for noticing. It is from a friend & fellow B & Ber who made them before he retired. I’m fortunate to have such an amazing piece of craftsmanship from him. It feels great in hand & is wonderfully balanced.
Thanks for the information. Do you mind saying what the spec, dimension, weight and material are for it?

Reactions: Kix
Worked my way through the thread today. Really have enjoyed your journey. I don't have an extensive range of blades. The ones I do have provided me with at least adequate shaves. Can't wait till you get to your review of the Vi-John stanless.(blue tuck)
I have been wet shaving for about 18 months and feel I have finally gotten to the point where all my shaves are very consistant and that I can fairly judge the quality of a blade I'm using..

Thanks for this thread it is very interesting.

@Tillerman, thanks for your post & recommendation for the blue tuck Vi-John. I'm now looking forward to using it based on your feedback.

Here's my 4th of July shave setup:
PreWar Tech
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green Super Stainless
Rudy Vey 26mm DG B14
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

I hadn't shaved since Saturday, so 3 days growth is most unusual for me. I had a nice shave from the Green 7 O'Clock Super Stainless. I can't tell for certain how great or average the blade was since I have been shaving every day, or at most miss one day between shaves during this blade journey of mine. Because of that, I'll move the Green 7 O'Clock Super Stainless into the final round so I can evaluate it again.
IMG_5755 (1).jpg IMG_5756 (1).jpg

PreWar Tech
Centwin Super Platinum
Rudy Vey Zenith Unbleached Boar
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Lucky Old Man

I enjoyed this blade a great deal. It's wonderfully sharp & smooth, an excellent shave today!
IMG_5777.jpg IMG_5776.jpg

Reactions: Kix
PreWar Tech
Jack the Barber
Rudy Vey Shavemac D01 3 Band
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

A very pleasant shave. This blade traveled from Australia & was most pleasant. This is certainly an above average blade. Not quite top shelf in sharpness, but extremely smooth!
IMG_5796.jpg IMG_5795.jpg

PreWar Tech
Ying JiLi Super Stainless
Zenith Unbleached Boar
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

I love it when I am pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a blade probably not suitable for the paint store to sell as a scrapper. Instead, I had a blade with just average sharpness but a step up in smoothness. Overall, an average blade. That's a pleasant surprise in my book!
IMG_5809.jpg IMG_5808.jpg

Shave #166

PreWar Tech
Dovo Super Platinum
Rudy Vey 26mm Shavemac D01 3 badn
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Excellent shave! Very nice blade.
IMG_5812.jpg IMG_5811.jpg

Shave #167

PreWar Tech
Personna Lab Blue
Elite Razor 26mm Manchurian
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

This was a fabulous blade! Such a smooth sharp blade, very nice!
IMG_5814.jpg IMG_5813.jpg

Shave #168

PreWar Tech
Gillette Wilkinson Made In China
Rudy Vey 26mm Shavemac D01 3 band
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Average blade, good shave. This doesn't impress, it just shaves. And really isn't that what this is all about?
IMG_5818.jpg IMG_5817.jpg

Shave #169

PreWar Tech
Polsilver Stainless
Rudy Vey 26mm Manchurian
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Really smooth blade, average sharpness. This shave was quite enjoyable. Not as sharp as what I like, but a very smooth blade.
IMG_5820.jpg IMG_5819.jpg

PreWar Tech
Royal Stallion Stainless
Rudy Vey 26mm Shavemac D01 3 Band
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

This is another blade I received from Australia. It is a very sharp blade but not very smooth. This is an example of even though it's not top shelf in both sharpness & smoothness, it was still capable of delivering a wonderful shave. I thoroughly enjoyed my shave today!
IMG_5822.jpg IMG_5821.jpg

PreWar Tech
Merkur Super Platinum
Rudy Vey Zenith Unbleached Boar
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Not especially sharp & mildly smooth. This blade almost lulled me into thinking I was getting a good close shave, but then it tugged! Oh, never mind, this is just an average blade.
IMG_5825.jpg IMG_5824.jpg

Not especially sharp & mildly smooth. This blade almost lulled me into thinking I was getting a good close shave, but then it tugged! Oh, never mind, this is just an average blade.

I have only shaved with one of these blades and that was about three years ago. At the time, I thought it was a good shave.

But, it was one of my first DE blades that I had tried out. After evaluating many more blades, I wanted to revisit this blade.

But... the stupid high price has discouraged that idea. With worldwide competition and many fine blades that can be purchased for $10 and under for one hundred, how can they justify selling a tuck of only ten blades for $10. This seems really ludicrous?

proxy.php

Merkur Razor Double Edge Razor Blades, MK-911, 10 Count (Pack of 1) - $9.95

I may cave and buy their three tuck pack for $20. Not that I think that is such a good deal either!

Amazon is showing that they have sold 1,000 of the single $10 tucks in the past month.

Last edited:
I have only shaved with one of these blades and that was about three years ago. At the time, I thought it was a good shave.

But, it was one of my first DE blades that I had tried out. After evaluating many more blades, I wanted to revisit this blade.

But... the stupid high price has discouraged that idea. With worldwide competition and many fine blades that can be purchased for $10 and under for one hundred, how can they justify selling a tuck of only ten blades for $10. This seems really ludicrous?

proxy.php

Merkur Razor Double Edge Razor Blades, MK-911, 10 Count (Pack of 1) - $9.95

I may cave and buy their three tuck pack for $20. Not that I think that is such a good deal either!

Amazon is showing that they have sold 1,000 of the single $10 tucks in the past month.
There must be folks who buy it regardless of cost because they are made in Germany, therefore they must be exceptional blades! Before you spend good money on buying some, try the Great Blade Exchange & get two of them to try.

PreWar Tech
Flying Eagle
Paladin 28mm
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

I may have found the worst blade. If not the absolute worst blade ever, it certainly is in the bottom 2! Terrible! Not sharp & super tuggy. Before I was finished with my one pass shave it couldn't cut the whiskers on my chin.
IMG_5830.jpg IMG_5829.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
PreWar Tech
Flying Eagle
Paladin 28mm
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

I may have found the worst blade. If not the absolute worst blade ever, it certainly is in the bottom 2! Terrible! Not sharp & super tuggy. Before I was finished with my one pass shave it couldn't cut the whiskers on my chin.
View attachment 1688944 View attachment 1688945
These blades were included free when I bought a bathroom tile scraper!

Top Bottom