What's new

So I just bought my 1st "Vintage DE"...

Well, I went and did it. Just bought my 1st "Vintage " DE razor. I am absolutely sure I over paid. but live and learn and I am sure that this will not be the 1 and only Vintage Gillette I purchase.

Just out of curiosity, what would you say a Gillette Super 109 would go for? I have included a few of the pictures from the seller. To my knowledge; there is no case and I do not know the year (only that it is between '69 - '77).

Look at the bottom of the baseplate. Will be a letter and a number stamped in. That denotes year and quarter made. P 1 is P-1970, 1-first quarter.

This looks like a '70's super adjustable in very nice condition, probably earlier than 1977, as I believe the plastic baseplate started that year. There is a letter and number on the baseplate like p 2. I have a 1970 black beauty, been using it everyday, aside from travel, since I received it on my 18th birthday(29 years ago). Great, well built, solid razor. Yours looks awesome and hope you enjoy the shaves!!

I asked the seller what the stamping was... so just waiting. As long as it looks like the pictures... I will be happy, even if I over paid.

Looks like it's in great condition. I got one at a garage sale for a few bucks but the safety bar is bent. I tried to fix it and only made it worse. You get what you pay for!

Beautiful razor. If you're happy with it and can afford what you paid, then it was perfectly priced. Enjoy the shaves.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's a great razor!
Check the date code on the bottom, that will tell you year and which quarter of the year it is produced.

Take the amount you paid and spread it out over the life of the razor and the use you'll get from it. Does whatever you paid still seem like it might be too much? Also, at the end of the day, as long as you're happy with it, that's what matters.

Also, it looks to be in REALLY good shape, better than most of the eBay ones.

Enjoy!

Number 1.JPG
I used one just like that exclusively from 1969 (code:04) until a few months ago. It was my appreciation of that razor that awakened my interest in Gillette & led me astray.

Last edited:
Looks like it's in great condition. I got one at a garage sale for a few bucks but the safety bar is bent. I tried to fix it and only made it worse. You get what you pay for!

Cap Murphy can fix that in a jiff and at a very reasonable price. He has done a few for me.

Take the amount you paid and spread it out over the life of the razor and the use you'll get from it. Does whatever you paid still seem like it might be too much? Also, at the end of the day, as long as you're happy with it, that's what matters.

Also, it looks to be in REALLY good shape, better than most of the eBay ones.

Enjoy!

^ This.

Enjoy the new razor. Test it with your favourite blades (and others if they don't perform to your liking). The joy of an adjustable is that you should be able to find a setting/blade combination which suits your face.

Just arrived at my desk. WOW! this looks unused. Closes tight. Adjustment dial is nice and smooth and clicks into each setting. Date code is R3, so puts the razors date as 3rd quarter of '71. I will get a few pics of it tonight but it looks like I just took this out of the packaging for its 1st use.
:jump:

Top Bottom