What's new

So - does anyone know what actually happened to Straightrazorplace.com?

Thanks, Joel. This makes sense.
Lynn is telling it a little bit differently:
Abrams.png

The records for the SRP website show that it has not been moved or stood up anywhere for at least 6 years now. The only thing that has changed is where the domain straightrazorplace.com points at. Apparently Lynn and Don have controlled it fully at all times and so they have redirected it first to a parking page at godaddy and later to their retail website.

In the end it does not appear that anything was stolen. Only a continuation of long established pattern from Lynn and Don.

It's not surprising that the moderators and the membership have stuck with their community and the website no matter the web address to reach it and have not bought into the stories of the people who have been damaging it.

I imagine with the owners retiring and selling SRD they may have included SRP in the terms of the sale also. The mods and admins may have wanted to keep the content from being transferred to the new owners and losing autonomy. This is all supposition and inferred from the timing of the actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would certainly fit a pattern of claiming ownership of other people's property and services for which they have already been slapped by the feds.

In my opinion it is not likely that they will be selling the ghost of SRD as they have arguably enormous liabilities and no one in their right mind would pay for that. The word is that have played fast and loose with their customers' personal and financial data and have left it exposed and unprotected.

There are some rumors that they may be under criminal investigation too.

As far as I know Don used to be a moderator on this forum and in the inner circle before being kicked out and becoming partners with Lynn.

It would certainly fit a pattern of claiming ownership of other people's property and services for which they have already been slapped by the feds.

In my opinion it is not likely that they will be selling the ghost of SRD as they have arguably enormous liabilities and no one in their right mind would pay for that. The word is that have played fast and loose with their customers' personal and financial data and have left it exposed and unprotected.

There are some rumors that they may be under criminal investigation too.

As far as I know Don used to be a moderator on this forum and in the inner circle before being kicked out and becoming partners with Lynn.

It wasn’t quite that ugly between Don and B&B. The truth is - he came to me wanting to turn B&B into a business and to monetize it, open up a shop, etc and partner with him. I told him a flat “No” as I felt (and still feel) vendors shouldn’t own/control communities and discussion forums as it’s a conflict of interest. In fact, that very reason is why SMF and B&B were formed.

After being told “No” by us, he got a “yes” from Lynn - and the rest is history. I’m sure they made a good deal of money, but I don’t regret my decision.... not for a second.

I have no ill will towards either of those gentlemen, especially Don - who i’d happily embrace if I were to meet him. Lynn has never been terribly kind to me (understatement) but as far as I’m concerned it’s water off a ducks back. I wish them both the best, and am just thrilled to see B&B continue to thrive.

Indeed, it is awesome to have so many amazing communities with people helping each other and forming strong friendships.

According to the note on Lynn's domain they will be setting up their forum very soon and will host a community based on their vision and values.
With their retail business gone the conflict of commercial interests should not be an issue anymore.

Lynn has posted many times that he is all about 'growing the sport' and his dream has come true.

It wasn’t quite that ugly between Don and B&B. The truth is - he came to me wanting to turn B&B into a business and to monetize it, open up a shop, etc and partner with him. I told him a flat “No” as I felt (and still feel) vendors shouldn’t own/control communities and discussion forums as it’s a conflict of interest. In fact, that very reason is why SMF and B&B were formed.

I often miss shavemyface. A wealth of knowledge on that site and some great guys we don’t often get these days.

It’s still around but the start of a vendor owned forum in 2012 killed it. I often feel bad for young new wet shavers who join a vendor owned forum innocently when the owner, moderators and many members are just operating a store front for the most part crafting posts toward purchases towards that shop.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I haven't spent much time perusing other forums, but have dipped into a couple. This place for me has the best feel to it. It's open, international, and not restricted to specific philosophies, whereas other forums seemed to be more of a clique.

I find this a relaxed environment, which is very open to the differences of all our shaves. No one true razor, blade, or honing style, which deviation from or dissent towards would brand you an outsider. No swathes of personal badges differentiating one member from another. Here, we're all in it together, whether you've been shaving for a week or fifty years, whether you hoard enough products to shave a small town, or just keep one razor and enough consumables for the next couple of months, and whether you prefer a a modern system, or refuse to use a razor younger than 100 years.

It's nice here. I'm staying put.

I haven't spent much time perusing other forums, but have dipped into a couple. This place for me has the best feel to it. It's open, international, and not restricted to specific philosophies, whereas other forums seemed to be more of a clique.

I find this a relaxed environment, which is very open to the differences of all our shaves. No one true razor, blade, or honing style, which deviation from or dissent towards would brand you an outsider. No swathes of personal badges differentiating one member from another. Here, we're all in it together, whether you've been shaving for a week or fifty years, whether you hoard enough products to shave a small town, or just keep one razor and enough consumables for the next couple of months, and whether you prefer a a modern system, or refuse to use a razor younger than 100 years.

amen. their process and culture turned me off pretty quickly, and I saw a lot of good people here bounced from there for being contrary to the thing there.

+1! Yes indeed! :a14::a14:

Top Bottom