What's new

Smoker for under 300?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You can rent a U-Haul for $19.95 and I can sell you Jim's address for another 25. That's a class A rig for under fifty bucks including tax and tip.

I can't speak to the Akorn but I have a Primo, which is somewhat similar, I like it because I wasn't sure if I would smoke enough to justify buying a smoker. I use it more as a grill and use it occasionally for smoking, may not be the best at it but I've always been happy with the results. I don't think you're going to go wrong either way, but if you're not sure you want to smoke a lot, I would vote Akorn, then you get a grill out of it too.

I ask these questions on B&B and the answer is always Yes! Buy everything! So confussing :)
Appreciating all responses, keep 'em coming.

As I see it:
UDS/PBC is out because aesthetics. I think UDS is also getting a bit too large for the area I want to put it.

WSM 22" is out because it's 400 bucks.

Leaving:
300 - WSM 18.5"
Pros: Great Smoker. Cons: can't use as grill, on smaller side.

280 - Char-griller Akorn kamado
Pros: Great griller. Stable temps/low charcoal usage. Cons: Not as good a smoker?

150 - Weber kettle + smokenator/grillaque/firebricks/etc
Pros: Great griller, cheap. Cons: less stable temps for smoker, not as good a smoker as dedicated?

100 - Make a mini WSM with a 32 quart pot and a Weber smoky joe.
Pros: Cheap, good small smoker and/or grill Cons: DIY, cheap.

32 quart pot? Please esplain...

the fabrication on the left.

proxy.php

Google Mini WSM

Ahhh gotcha!!

What about this? Buy a 32 gallon drum (same size as a PBC) and build your own UDS and buy a smoker Joe, or jumbo Joe. The smoker would have more capacity than the mini WSM and the Joe would be for grilling!!

BOOM! Best of both worlds for under $300

You can smoke just fine with the akorn but there is a learning curve. The WSM is super forgiving. If you just want a smoker I'd go with the WSM; if you can save an extra hundred up you'll thank yourself down the road as the 22 is huge compared to the 18.

If you want both I'd look at the akorn or the larger weber kettle; the 26" one touch. If you load up the charcoal with the snake method you'll be good to smoke for hours. Also 26 inches of grilling real-estate is a luxury and you don't really need any extra accessories.

How many people will you be cooking for? What do you want to be cooking? Larger briskets and full racks of ribs require a bit of creativity to fit well on the 18" grills whereas you don't have issues on the larger ones.

I did not decide yet on what I will get as a smoker other than my Weber (coal). However, I have my eye on the Char-Griller Akorn. It's over what you are looking at but I could cook all year around without any issues with that thing...

Had one of those once. Well constructed but difficult to maintain that slow/low temperature required for effectively doing proper BBQ. It could work, just took a lot more effort than say aa WSM. For grilling?? I could get that Akorn up to 900-1,000 degrees with no problem. I did many excellent steaks on it.

How many people will you be cooking for? What do you want to be cooking? Larger briskets and full racks of ribs require a bit of creativity to fit well on the 18" grills whereas you don't have issues on the larger ones.

You know, that's a darn good question.
I usually have a couple of parties a year with 50 or more, but otherwise it's mostly just the family. Meat for those events has generally gone on the grill.
I guess I don't foresee more than two pork butts at a time, or a couple racks of ribs (Disclaimer, I have only ever eaten other peoples' ribs). I think I'd love to try a smoked turkey.

Well I own a weber performer, weber kettle, weber jumbo joe, wsm 18, and a wsm 22. I'd recommend the 22" in smoky mountain. I started with the 18 but it can be a bit confining; especially if you want to lay a rack of ribs down flat or spatch **** a turkey to smoke.

You can also grill on the weber smoky mountain; check out the grilling section over at the virtual weber bullet site for ideas.

Even though the 18" in in the budget now you'll be wishing you got the larger one down the road; I was. Also I've never met anyone who's regretted getting at 22" wsm.

If you're dead set at not spending more than 300 go with the 18 but the 22 is a lot bigger and totally worth the extra hundred dollars.

Also; as an added bonus the Cajun bandit rotisserie fits on top of the 22" WSM as well ;) If you don't like grilling on the WSM just get a kettle of craig's list; I've seen them as low at 20 bucks where I'm at. I actually got a weber rotisserie and kettle for 60 total.

If you don't like grilling on the WSM just get a kettle of craig's list; I've seen them as low at 20 bucks where I'm at. I actually got a weber rotisserie and kettle for 60 total.
you open up Pandora's box :)

proxy.php

My Webegg:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

and the baby (the most used one!):
proxy.php

Even though the 18" in in the budget now you'll be wishing you got the larger one down the road

I have 2 18" WSM - a few years ago Home Depot sold them for $50 - i gifted 3 and kept 2.
1 22" WSM, 1 14# WSM, 1 performer, 3 22" kettles (gold), 2 18" gold, 1 jumbo joe and 2 or 3 regular joe plus 1 electric Smokin-it #3. My wife said if i buy another smoker/grill she'll have me sleep in the yard with them...
Since i bought the 14" WSM, the others collect dust (or mostly rust, i should say). The little guy is so handy and i can take it camping (i forgot, i built a mini-wsm too, i didn't use it at all after i got the 14")
Yes, CB is great, beautiful workmanship! Sometimes is take the 18" stacker and/or rotisserie with Jumbo Joe when tailgating..

Top Bottom