What's new

Smallest synthetic brush

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Is it stiff like the Trafalgar or Chubby, or is it somewhat less dense and more pliable?
I had a Classic 1 synthetic and it was a shameful travesty not fit to bear the Simpson name. It was so stiff and pointy that I would have had more success lathering with the other end of the brush; I sold it and was embarrassed to do so.

Is it stiff like the Trafalgar or Chubby, or is it somewhat less dense and more pliable?
I can't say as I haven't used the two in question. However, from the pix, their knots definitely are different and seem a bit more "airy" in comparison. The knot on the Classic 1 synth is a breed apart from other synths I've used, dense with the bristles standing more vertically, not oriented so as to introduce "bloom" or "splay." Excellent for travelling and loading from a stick, followed by face lathering. The only knot that comes close to it are those in the HIS line made in Thailand, the example I have from them (1918, with a long handle) also being excellent, but with a larger knot than what is under consideration here.

I had a Classic 1 synthetic and it was a shameful travesty not fit to bear the Simpson name. It was so stiff and pointy that I would have had more success lathering with the other end of the brush; I sold it and was embarrassed to do so.
I think it’s really important when talking about synthetic knots to state the knot name or it’s year at least. Development is rapid and Every year they are better than previously. So many people have tried a synthetic many years ago and retain that experience in their head. Meanwhile there has been a paradigm shift. First folks said they lacked backbone and that was solved, then they said it is too stiff and doesn’t splay and that was solved. Then they said it doesn’t retain water and now we see knots that retain enough water and whip up a lather better than badger ever did. Modern synthetics are vastly superior and next year they will be even better. Much like electric vs petrol cars this has threatened the livelihood of many companies and understandably there are campaigns and propoganda pushing the badger narrative esp in the Far East. But the fact is that like electric they are getting better all the time. A modern synthetic is really awesome.

linty1

My wallet cries.
That adp synth looks nice, what kinda knot is that?

Some ppl have mentioned the 19mm muhle stf, its the one I have too and its quite nice. While lathering you get the sense of "there is no -way- this small knot is gunna work".... and the it does? I always liken it to an ant carrying a leaf. Doesn't look like it should work. But it does.

EclipseRedRing

I think it’s really important when talking about synthetic knots to state the knot name or it’s year at least. Development is rapid and Every year they are better than previously. So many people have tried a synthetic many years ago and retain that experience in their head. Meanwhile there has been a paradigm shift. First folks said they lacked backbone and that was solved, then they said it is too stiff and doesn’t splay and that was solved. Then they said it doesn’t retain water and now we see knots that retain enough water and whip up a lather better than badger ever did. Modern synthetics are vastly superior and next year they will be even better. Much like electric vs petrol cars this has threatened the livelihood of many companies and understandably there are campaigns and propoganda pushing the badger narrative esp in the Far East. But the fact is that like electric they are getting better all the time. A modern synthetic is really awesome.
You may well be correct but I am not aware of any changes in Simpson Platinum fibres since their release, nor in any change to the knot used in the Simpson Classic 1 Platinum fibre brush. I cannot comment on synthetic knots from any other makers as I have no knowledge of them, and I was not attempting to do so. 👍

It does sound like the loft was set too low with the fibres too vertical and pokey. One common mistake made with older synthetic knots that lacked backbone was to set the loft lower but this impeded the splayability. Modern synthetics don’t have this issue.

You may well be correct but I am not aware of any changes in Simpson Platinum fibres since their release, nor in any change to the knot used in the Simpson Classic 1 Platinum fibre brush. I cannot comment on synthetic knots from any other makers as I have no knowledge of them, and I was not attempting to do so. 👍
One issue with Simpson’s is that it seems there is a fair amount of variation in performance of the synthetic knots. They are not quite as consistent as other manufacturers. I have heard of guys getting knots they are unhappy with and then getting the same model with an awesome knot. Maybe I’m lucky I have awesome Chubby synthetics. I hope your opinion of synthetics is not set in stone and shaded by one bad knot. Try some Yaqi, try the G5A try the Muhle brushes. I would be very surprised if you weren’t blown away by the progress.

EclipseRedRing

It does sound like the loft was set too low with the fibres too vertical and pokey. One common mistake made with older synthetic knots that lacked backbone was to set the loft lower but this impeded the splayability. Modern synthetics don’t have this issue.
My Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger (not synthetic bristle) is one of the earliest versions which were all lofted at around 54mm and it splays very well. Regrettably Simpson later reduced the loft of the Chubby 2 synthetic to 50mm but the Platinum fibres are unchanged. I agree that synthetic knots are much changed and improved in recent years, but I do not believe Simpson synthetic fibres have been developed or changed since their inception other than to add the budget Sovereign line. My opinion of synths is not fixed, I love my Chubby and I also enjoyed the Simpson Colonel X2L synthetic, but the Classic 1 remains a terrible brush in my opinion. I have no interest in trying synths by other makers although I have no doubt they are much improved. 👍

My Chubby 2 synth is on the left below:

20220314_163541.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger (not synthetic bristle) is one of the earliest versions which were all lofted at around 54mm and it splays very well. Regrettably Simpson later reduced the loft of the Chubby 2 synthetic to 50mm but the Platinum fibres are unchanged. I agree that synthetic knots are much changed and improved in recent years, but I do not believe Simpson synthetic fibres have been developed or changed since their inception other than to add the budget Sovereign line. My opinion of synths is not fixed, I love my Chubby and I also enjoyed the Simpson Colonel X2L synthetic, but the Classic 1 remains a terrible brush in my opinion. I have no interest in trying synths by other makers although I have no doubt they are much improved. 👍

My Chubby 2 synth is on the left below:

View attachment 1423865
I also have this very early version with the 54 mm loft, it is actually quite good for a synthetic. However, I have a couple Muehles, one is/was my travel brush for years, with the 19 mm knot - superb brush for travel. And I also have a 25 mm knot in one of my handles. These knots, STF, are the best and the most-like badger feeling brushes. I just made a contributor brush here for B&B and those who got the STF knots are saying the same, feels like a badger. I have used a few other synthetics, with the Plisson made for L'Occitane being the worst, a limp floppy mop. My Shavemac is similar to the Chubby, but has a little longer loft and also feels denser than the Chubby.

Just for the record, the Classic 1 synth that I have was purchased around 5-6 years ago. I suppose it is the one that has met with criticism above, which goes to show that as with many things it's a matter of personal taste and opinion, different strokes for different strokes, and all that. Below is a shot of mine in all its glory. Great for loading from a stick and face-lathering while on the road. Knot measures 22.5mm from where it leaves the handle with a 47mm loft. Note that the bristles stand fairly upright, more like a boar. As such and its being synthetic, one should not necessarily be expecting to behave exactly like a true badger (although I would not characterize the tips as spikey like, say, horse hair, as these synthetic tips are quite soft). Apparent density is located near the tips, so one should not apply a lot of pressure when loading or building lather.

The only knot I've used like it is the HIS brush with a long handle as I mentioned. Come to think of it, there is or was a Simpson Chubby 2 with a similar knot that I had thought to purchase because of the similarity, but ending up passing on it as the price was pretty high and I prefer smaller knots overall.

As a substitute for a Wee Scot, the Classic 1 is one of the smaller synth options available. I have tried Maggard's 18mm "Timberwolf" brush, and the Classic 1 is a much better small travel brush (and brush overall) as far as I'm concerned.

Simpson-Classic-1-Synth-(PS-web-low).jpg

Just for the record, the Classic 1 synth that I have was purchased around 5-6 years ago. I suppose it is the one that has met with criticism above; which goes to show that with many things it's a matter of personal taste and opinion, different strokes for different strokes, and all that. Below is a shot of mine in all its glory. Great for loading from a stick and face lathering while on the road. Knot measures 22.5mm from where it leaves the handle, with a 47mm loft. Note that the bristles stand fairly upright, more like a boar. As such, one should not necessarily be expecting to behave exactly like a true badger (although I would not characterize the tips as spikey like, say, horse hair, as these synthetic tips are quite soft). Apparent density is located near the tips, so one should not apply a lot of pressure when loading or building lather.

The only knot I've used like it is the HIS brush with a long handle as I mentioned. Come to think of it, there is or was a Simpson Chubby 2 with a similar knot that I had thought to purchase because of the similarity, but ending up passing on it as the price was pretty high and I prefer smaller knots overall.

As a substitute for a Wee Scot, the Classic 1 is one of the smaller synth options available. I have tried Maggard's 18mm "Timberwolf" brush, and the Classic 1 is a much better small travel brush as far as I'm concerned.

View attachment 1423937
This is a nice example. If it was a badger knot from 5 years ago there would be little change. A synthetic knot from 5 or 6 years ago is gone with the horses. The current knots are light years apart. It is like a cell phone that is that old. Different league. I truly hope folk who last tried a synthetic knot years ago, keep trying. They will be astounded at the difference. Those fibres are vertical like a dagger!

This is a nice example. If it was a badger knot from 5 years ago there would be little change. A synthetic knot from 5 or 6 years ago is gone with the horses. The current knots are light years apart. It is like a cell phone that is that old. Different league. I truly hope folk who last tried a synthetic knot years ago, keep trying. They will be astounded at the difference. Those fibres are vertical like a dagger!
Still a good knot in my opinion, and I have tried "recent" knots like AP Shaving's current-crop G5A. The fibers on my Classic 1 synth may be vertical, but they do not feel like a dagger; they are very soft. With the G5A, it's all about silvertip badger simulation, which can be annoying, especially as I don't like silvertip knots all that much anyway. This one is more like AP Shaving's SynBad knot by way of a light comparison. In these cases, I prefer to meet the knots on their own terms as synthetic knots, with their own set of limitations, as is the case with any other type of knot (various badger grades, boar, horse, etc.).

Years back, in my small-brush phase, Rudy made me a 16mm badger brush. Great brush, but after a few years I passed it on to another member when I went to larger brushes.

Years ago I got a cheap brush to carry, since I didn't want to risk losing my Grandfather's old Ever Reday brush. I got this on E-Bay for around $5. It's the Chinese Liar's Brush, advertised as "Best Badger", but obviously a synthetic. It has just a plain lacquered wooden handle, but it performs like a much spendier brush.
100_0637.JPG

While I've got at least a dozen other brushes, I reach for this one when I need a quick shave and don't want to spend extra tie soaking a brush. If I were to lose it, I'd get another.

Last edited:
Years ago I got a cheap brush to carry, since I didn't want to risk losing my Grandfather's old Ever Reday brush. I got this on E-Bay for around $5. It's the Chinese Liar's Brush, advertised as "Best Badger", but obviously a synthetic. It has just a plain lacquered wooden handle, but it performs like a much spendier brush.
Wow if you like that imagine what you will think of a modern synthetic! Treat yourself to a Yaqi or something else

I agree with this I'm starting to like the new synthetic knots I have just bought 2 new ones but at 24mm knots

1.jpg
1.jpg

And this one got a new synthetic knot

1c.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom