What's new

Smaller DMTs?

I got some razors off ebay, so I'm guessing they're going to be a bit of a bear to clean up. Do you guys think the DMT 1.2K 6x2x1/4 in plate will be large enough? Or should I shell out for the bigger one? I'm also planning on getting the 8K, but that only comes in the larger size.

All links are safe:

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/T!D6.htm (Smaller size)

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/T!D8.htm (Regular)

I think, though, that I might send off a few of the good (in terms of brand name) razors to some honemeisters to clean up for me, and just play with the crappy ones myself. :biggrin:

What grit are you looking at exactly? I only use the D8E for bevel setting. I find the smaller ones and the larger ones both have their uses. The smaller ones are more convenient, but you sacrifice surface area.

Looking at getting the 1200 grit in smaller size (D6E) to restore blades, possibly for lapping (though I'd probably want something larger and coarser for that), then the 8000 grit in "regular size" (D8EE) for general use (since I've read it works as well or better than the Norton 4k/8k).

Don't try lapping anything on 1200 grit DMT, you will wreck the hone. In fact dont go above 320 grit, and if you use 320 grit, be really careful and make sure you wash that thing a lot during the process.

As for using a D6E vs a D8E, you can certainly do it to save cost. The extra surface area of the D8E means you will need to do less passes on it to get to the next step, but they're both diamond hones, and the D6E should still be pretty darn rapid.

I use a 6x2 dmt 1200. It works fine for setting bevels on razors and is ok for removing little chips.
As has been said though, don't try flattening any hones with it or the dust from the hone will wear away the nickel that holds the diamonds to the dmt plate.

Woodcraft had (may still have) a special for a boxed set DMT600 DMT1200 DMT8EE in the 6x2 sizes, all together for like $59. Awesome setup, especially if you do restores.

EDIT: I see that Sticky already posted the link for the set above.

I don't like the ones with holes in it. Don't have any particular reasons. I just don't, so take it for what its worth.

Top Bottom