What's new

Small synthetic brush recommendation

I recently got a Yaqi Synthetic (R1605-S, 24mm knot x 60mm loft) from West Coast shaving. I love the synthetic brush, but find it a little big for my taste, both knot size and loft.

I was previously using a Omega 636 Silvertip badger, which had a 21mm knot and 51mm loft.

I’m thinking something similar in a 22 or possibly 20mm knot. Not sure what else is out there. I don’t want a white or ivory colored handle.

I see that Maggard razors has a 22 mm with a black handle. Anybody try it?

Maggard Razors 22mm Black Handle Black and White Synthetic Shaving Brush | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

Any suggestions? The only Yaquis I’m seeing have a white/ivory handle. Other brands to consider? Other places to buy from that might have more options?

Thanks!

Maggard Razors has an 18mm travel brush($14). I bought a 16mm knot on eBay for a handle(far right).
ER 200cc WS Gillette NoName.jpg

I gave my son a 22mm Black & White($12), which he likes and liked well enough to add one to the Synthetic Brush Pass Around Box.

Thanks. Good to hear about the 22mm black and white from Maggards for your son.

Anyone have experience with the Apshave brushes? Specifically the Synbad knot?

I recently got a Yaqi Synthetic (R1605-S, 24mm knot x 60mm loft) from West Coast shaving. I love the synthetic brush, but find it a little big for my taste, both knot size and loft.

I was previously using a Omega 636 Silvertip badger, which had a 21mm knot and 51mm loft.

I’m thinking something similar in a 22 or possibly 20mm knot. Not sure what else is out there. I don’t want a white or ivory colored handle.

I see that Maggard razors has a 22 mm with a black handle. Anybody try it?

Maggard Razors 22mm Black Handle Black and White Synthetic Shaving Brush | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

Any suggestions? The only Yaquis I’m seeing have a white/ivory handle. Other brands to consider? Other places to buy from that might have more options?

Thanks!

This brush was recommended to me two weeks ago.
I'm still looking.
There are a couple Simpson's I have my eye on.
The Duke and Simfix synthetics as well as the Duke Super Badger.

Thanks, gentlemen!

I made some use of the search function on this site, and after a bunch of reading, decided to pull the trigger on the 22mm SynBad with the Blue Lagoon handle.

The descriptions of the splay and badger like softness did it for me.

Not sure how long it will take to ship from Canada, but hopefully will get it relatively soon (amazon prime spoils you when it comes to shipping...)

I just assembled a 20mm Maggard's Timberwolf on a VDH handle. The brush is super soft, no scritch at all and a good backbone. The 20mm size saves on soap. I like it a lot.

Update.

I received the brush a few days ago, but was traveling when it arrived, so finally have had a chance to use it a couple times.

Size wise, it is perfect for me. I like the smaller knot and the smaller handle compared to the Yaqi.

And, speaking of the handle, the Blue Lagoon is absolutely beautiful. I love the way it looks.

I’ve gotten two shaves so far with it, one using Trumper’s almond cream, the other using Proraso red in the bowl. I face lathered for both. The brush created a ton of leather with both, enough for multiple passes. The brush is quite soft on my face, and has a nice splay. It has very little backbone compared to the Yaqi. Almost too little, but I think it’s OK for my purposes.

Overall, very happy with my purchase. Well worth the money (<$20), and by the look of the handle, you would think it is a much more expensive brush.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Update.

I received the brush a few days ago, but was traveling when it arrived, so finally have had a chance to use it a couple times.

Size wise, it is perfect for me. I like the smaller knot and the smaller handle compared to the Yaqi.

And, speaking of the handle, the Blue Lagoon is absolutely beautiful. I love the way it looks.

I’ve gotten two shaves so far with it, one using Trumper’s almond cream, the other using Proraso red in the bowl. I face lathered for both. The brush created a ton of leather with both, enough for multiple passes. The brush is quite soft on my face, and has a nice splay. It has very little backbone compared to the Yaqi. Almost too little, but I think it’s OK for my purposes.

Overall, very happy with my purchase. Well worth the money (<$20), and by the look of the handle, you would think it is a much more expensive brush.
Excellent! I'm tempted, lol.

Update.

Sounds lie you made a good purchase.
I love it when that happens.
well done, sir!

No or low glue bump?
I just put a 24 mm Timberwolf into a handle. The knot measured 68 mm overall and the glue bump came to 18 mm from the bottom or 50mm from the top of the knot on MY KNOT YMMV.

I mounted the knot with 50 mm of loft so the glue bump is actually a plus in my case.

Last edited:
I just put a 24 mm Timberwolf into a handle. The knot measured 68 mm overall and the glue bump came to 18 mm from the bottom or 50mm from the top of the knot on MY KNOT YMMV.

I mounted the knot with 50 mm of loft so the glue bump is actually a plus in my case.

Thank Bluesman!
I'm going to check this out.

Top Bottom