What's new

Slurry Stones

There have been a couple of threads about nagura recently, and I was wondering what other kinds of slurry stones people liked...

Do you only use the same kind of stone to slurry, or do you mix it up? Have you got any favourite slurry x finishing stone combinations? And how do you use them? &c. &c.

I often play around with slurry mixing on razors, though less so with knives, I do it particularly on some of the harder, slower UK finishing stones I have. Coticule slurry is cool cos it's like turbo-charging any stone. Tam slurry is great too (thanks to @rideon66 for that tip-off). And I have a lovely little soft green Thuri that I use for slurrying quite a few things.

I had a small broken coticule that I recently cut up into a few slurry stones, but kept the box. And then a couple of days ago I found a small chunk of Tam that I made into a couple. And don't they all now look happy together with a little bit of Moughton! Maybe I'll fashion a couple of dividers for the box later.

IMG-6003.jpg

IMG-6018 (1).jpg

IMG-6011.jpg

That’s a good looking set you’ve got there.

I’ve pretty much stopped using slurry altogether. I use my naturals purely for finishing and have found that my stones give the sharpest edges without slurry. Slurry seems to make a stone act courser than it really is and increases the stones effective range. If I’m looking for speed I tend to go to my synthetics. I am probably in the minority on this one.

That’s a good looking set you’ve got there.

I’ve pretty much stopped using slurry altogether. I use my naturals purely for finishing and have found that my stones give the sharpest edges without slurry. Slurry seems to make a stone act courser than it really is and increases the stones effective range. If I’m looking for speed I tend to go to my synthetics. I am probably in the minority on this one.

I would always finish with the stone clean btw; I slurry it to begin, and dilute down gradually ending just with water... Best of both worlds!

(Basically the same way you'd use Mikawa nagura for instance. Like having a micro-progression between your pre-finisher and finishing stones).

Top Bottom