What's new

SLOC - Final Fail

Got an SLOC head last year & never got a good shave from it, so I tossed it into the loser part bag that sits under a table in the shave lab. I read of someone who liked their SLOC, so I thought I'd try it with a newly acquired top performing blade (Lab Blue), and pair it with an ultra smooth former soap, now cream (Ogallala Bayt Rum + castor oil + glycerine + lanoilin). 3 passes later, there wasstill rough, residual stubble that even the ATG pass didn't remove.
Writing it off as a complete waste of Zamac, I'm considering reconfiguring it with some vintage tools before tossing it into the recycling bin.
Hammer and Anvil.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I think they’re nice for a mild razor that demands a level of precision I totally do not have. When I use mine, I squint and pretend it’s a Timeless scalloped razor. Squintstant millionaire.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Got an SLOC head last year & never got a good shave from it, so I tossed it into the loser part bag that sits under a table in the shave lab. I read of someone who liked their SLOC, so I thought I'd try it with a newly acquired top performing blade (Lab Blue), and pair it with an ultra smooth former soap, now cream (Ogallala Bayt Rum + castor oil + glycerine + lanoilin). 3 passes later, there wasstill rough, residual stubble that even the ATG pass didn't remove.
Writing it off as a complete waste of Zamac, I'm considering reconfiguring it with some vintage tools before tossing it into the recycling bin.
View attachment 1131427
I really enjoy my RR V1 SLOC , it is hard to cut your self and gives a DFS + easily. If you want a little more aggression and efficentcy just install a KAI SS blade. The Kai blade is wider than a standard blade by .009 thousands of a inch or .0045 thousands per side that is a lot extra blade Exposure. I did some shaves with the Kai blade in my SLOC and it was minimum a CCS,DFS,BBS range, if you have some Kai blades give it a try for milder razors you might have IMO. Some fellows have experimented with the SLOC making Frankenrazors out of the top cap and adding it to other razors.

Makes me feel great that I just bought one.:frown: The saving grace is that I just bought a head so the investment is minimal. Guess I'll just have to try it out myself.

It remains one of my three favorite razors and is part of nearly every shave. It is mild, but in a way that is great for me, especially between the nose and upper lip and from the lower lip to the chin. It lets me whip around easily without regard for the blade . I often use another razor for the entire shave(Timeless .95, Game Changer, Slant) and just use the SLOC for those sweet spots.

The SLOC is my least favorite among my 3 razors. (Game Changer .68 and Slim) It will always give a presentable shave but it is the least effective of the 3. I still like it but I find I have to go after a fair amount of left over stubble much more than the other two.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
SLOC topcap on an R41 is an excellent shaver, best of worlds.

I did a thread on it. "Topcaps Matter."

AA

Top Bottom